Wimbledon thread

mjmooney

If its a Murray v Djokovic final I want Murray to win. Murray v Federer I want Federer to win.

It would be nice for Murray but the greatest player ever to lift a bat adding to his tally is far more enjoyable.

Can I resurrect my "When I met Roger Federer story "

Was on holiday in Dubai and wandering around the resort when I could hear all sort of grunting coming from the tennis courts ..said to Mrs H29 , who does that clearing in the woods think he is Roger Federer ?

walked around the corner and lo and behold it was none other than Fed himself being put through his paces by his coach ... watched him train for a bit and then when he finished he posed for photos and signed a few tennis balls .. he was a really nice bloke didn't leave until everyone had been spoken to had a photo etc

So for being a nice bloke and for not being Scottish I wouldn't mind him winning

Normally every sport has at least one utter bellend at the top of it's sport at any one time, but tennis is gifted at the moment to have class acts dominating it. It should be as proud of that as of anything else.

Murray is unfortunately playing within a generation of excellent tennis players...too many of which are better than him...

Djokovic,Nadal,Federer,Ferrer,Tsonga all have the ability to beat him if he is even slightly off the tempo...

i dont think he will ever win a grandslam because of this reason....

his ability should warrant one and i would have fancied him to nab one during the Henman era...

but not now...

another Brit who can only get up to a semi...

Giggidy

I agree that Murray would have won probably 2 grand slams if his career was around the late 90s, early 20th century century. There was a slight dip in quality then which is why decent but not world class players like Hewitt, Nalbandian and Roddick were winning titles. But Murray has already got to 2 grand slam finals, and I think he will make it 3 tomorrow.

Kerber v Radwanska...easy on the eyes ;-)
I'm surprised you didn't improve the spelling, Rob. The Grauniad did:

Rad.jpg

I want to know how I apply for Rad's job.

I agree that Murray would have won probably 2 grand slams if his career was around the late 90s, early 20th century century.

I dunno.. William Augustus Larned was pretty imperious round that time..

220px-William_Augustus_Larned,_1910.jpg

:crylaugh:

I'm slightly stunned. The manner in which Djok has been playing made me think he'd piss the whole tournament. For Federer to do what he has done is incredible. I still think Murray IF he gets past Tsinga Tsonga Tsixpence has a better chance of beating Federererer than he did of beating Djokovic though. But it's still a mighty effort from the great man.

Â