Brett Holman

ozvillafan

I think he should be getting more games, I think he's looked really good. He has a high work rate and a keen eye for a pass.   

he certainly does have a keen eye for a pass, but he lacks the ability in his feet to make them happen a lot of the time

It's just a case of us finding a system that's working and he's not in it, unfortunately for him.  At least you know with him that he will try to work his bollocks off to improve and get back in the side rather than sit on his arse.  Well worth keeping around, his time may come again before the end of the season.

I'd play;

Weimann......N'Zogbia/Holman......Gabby

.............................Benteke......................

N'Zogbia is better on the ball but Holman can close down better, so I might use N'Zogbia or Holman depending on the game.  

That would completely nullify any creativity through the middle.

Even Dawkins has shown more calmness on the ball in his couple of cameos than Holman has.

Holman is fine if you want someone running around and pressuring, but he lacks positional discipline. But we're not good enough to support a player like that because it means you get huge gaps all over the place where he should be.
And he offers very little on the ball so stifles any creativity we have going forward.

Even Dawkins has shown more calmness on the ball in his couple of cameos than Holman has.

Holman is fine if you want someone running around and pressuring, but he lacks positional discipline. But we're not good enough to support a player like that because it means you get huge gaps all over the place where he should be.

And he offers very little on the ball so stifles any creativity we have going forward.

He has three assists though, and would very likely have more if he was played more regularly. Nobody in the squad has more than four assists. 

Fair play to him.
But he's also got one of the worst pass completion percentages in the squad (20th), and is one of the worst in the squad at giving the ball away in possession (4th)

Maybe we can give him a few games out on the wing or wide midfield, but he's not technically good enough to play through the middle.

Because Benteke plays a completely different position. He's a striker. That's like saying we should drop Guzan because he's not great at shooting. benteke has nothing to do with this conversation.

You're advocating playing Holman as a central midfielder, ahead of the rest of our central midfielders.

One of the most important things to have as a central midfielder, imo, is to be good at passing and to not give the ball away. Especially in our team where the defence needs as much protection as possible.

Holman is not good at passing and not good at protecting possession.

That's why i quoted those two stats.

I also think you need to be positionally aware, and he isn't. I don't have a stat for that to back me up but it's fairly obvious if you watch him play, again that's my opinion.

The fact he has 3 assists is a good argument for his inclusion, as is his workrate and pressuring which can be an advantage. I was giving you a reason why I think that, despite those qualities, he shouldn't be in the team.

I'm not sure what you were trying to do by posting a facetious comment about Benteke. So you'll have to explain that one to me.

Out of the top 10 most creative players in terms of assists none of them get into the top 20 on passing accuracy, many not even into the top 100.

The further up the field you play, and the more attacking your inclination the lower your passing average will be. The attacking players - you want them to be getting goals and/or assists, taking chances, not making safe passes.

In CM and defence passing successfully as often as possible is much more important. 

Holman's passing % is low, so what, he's an attacking midfielder - he has three assists - that's the stat you want to look at. He's also good at closing down, which is a bonus if you want to press your opponents high up. 

Edited by Kingfisher

Maybe we should drop Benteke too, his passing % is terrible. We should just ignore goals scored and goals created.  

Benteke's passing % is probably higher than Holman's to be fair :lol:

Holman's passing % is low, so what, he's an attacking midfielder - he has three assists - that's the stat you want to look at. He's also good at closing down, which is a bonus if you want to press your opponents high up. 

You roll out the 3 assists thing like that's a big number for an attacking midfielder...

Out of the top 10 most creative players in terms of assists none of them get into the top 20 on passing accuracy, many not even into the top 100.

The further up the field you play, and the more attacking your inclination the lower your passing average will be. The attacking players - you want them to be getting goals and/or assists, taking chances, not making safe passes.

In CM and defence passing successfully as often as possible is much more important. 

See that's a reasoned post.

But you're essentially listing his positives. I'm pointing out his negatives.

IMO the negatives aren't worth 3 assists in half a season. You think they are. Agree to disagree.

Benteke's passing % is probably higher than Holman's to be fair

It's very much not, to be fair. 

ou roll out the 3 assists thing like that's a big number for an attacking midfielder...

It's not, but it's joint second in the squad, and they're the players he's competing with. 

3 assists means nothing. Two of them were v Liverpool away when he passed the ball 2 yard to Benteke to bang it in and the other he jumped up blocked the Liverpool longball and then Benteke ran through to score.

Personally do not think he offers us much at all. Maybe in a complete flat 4-5-1 formation I would use him to do a lot of midfield running but I wouldn't want him in instead of say two decent DMs in this system or someone like Zog who can attack playing in the hole. 

His passing isn't great, no pace, first touch is poor. He seems to be able to shoot from time to time but yeah, way down the list now IMO and will struggle to ever really make an impact at Villa. Id expect Lambert to sign more players he wants in the summer and if he cant get into this side he will struggle next year.

Sums it up for me. Positionally he is all over the place and his passing is questionable.

Squad player at best, if we want to progress as a team then we need better quality than him.

Â