The hierarchy of International Football

Voinjama

Wouldn't be surprised to see Georgia-Azerbaijan get Euro 2020. FIFA/UEFA both seem to be on a mission to get far-flung places to host tournaments. South Africa 2010, Poland/Ukraine 2012, Russia 2018, Qatar 2022.

far-flung? world doesnt revolve around UK

Never said it did.

Perhaps far-flung isn't the right word (although it would definitely apply to Poland/Ukraine). What I meant was that they seem to be intent on having tournaments hosted in countries that have never hosted a tournament before. Unfortunately most of these countries aren't very well equipped to host a major football tournament. Take the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids for example. For both of those the worst country for hosting the tournament won.

To be fair I think most of the stadia are already in place in Russia, while Qatar is just too awash with money not to be able to build the required infrastructure in time. I don't think inexperience will be a problem.

Hooliganism aside, Russia should be a cracker, lots of passionate fans there so there will be no lack of noise. Qatar on the other hand will probably be a bit more...subdued.

There are problems with racism in Russia though, and out of all the countries that put in a bid for the 2018 World Cup they are by far the worst equipped for it.

As for Qatar, yeah they have the money but they're not really a footballing nation are they? As with 2018, they were the worst possible choice to host World Cup 2022.

Agreed, Qatar were the worst possible choice. I don't Russia is a bad choice though, if they can cut out the hooliganism and racism (big ifs) it will be a terrific tournament in my view.

Agreed, Qatar were the worst possible choice. I don't Russia is a bad choice though, if they can cut out the hooliganism and racism (big ifs) it will be a terrific tournament in my view.
Compared to the other candidates though they were a bad choice. Belgium/Netherlands, Portugal/Spain and England would've all been much better suited for it.

Compared to the other candidates though they were a bad choice. Belgium/Netherlands, Portugal/Spain and England would've all been much better suited for it.

It is the World Cup :P, so I don't mind FIFA hosting it in "far flung" countries, as long as the interest and infrastructure is there. I was disappointed at first when England didn't get the hosting rights but after a while I started to think that Russia wasn't such a bad idea after all, if done right. I like to be cosmopolitan :)

Again though, Qatar...horrible, horrible idea. Jesus. Now that pissed me off.

It annoys me that such a bad footballing nation would get it. They've never even qualfied for a World Cup and only even won 6 games in their continental competition!

technically Japan never qualified before they were awarded the tournament either.

Im willing to give them a chance and will be better than waking up at terrible hours to watch games in Australia and was probably best option for European countries to watch the games regarding time zones

Im willing to give them a chance and will be better than waking up at terrible hours to watch games in Australia

You prick :) the world outside the UK does exist you know ;)

but i dont understand the point your trying to make and i think you dont either

I'm trying to make his point which you dodged. The world exists outside of Europe, football is popular there. Occasionally its fine that we have to suffer early morning games, we can't and shouldn't "hog" the world cup because it suites our sleeping patterns.

well if you looked at last page or 2 i was the first person to say that the world exists outside Europe but for European audiences probably FIFA biggest market then a World Cup in Qatar is better than a World Cup in Australia, South Korea or even USA

It annoys me that such a bad footballing nation would get it. They've never even qualfied for a World Cup and only even won 6 games in their continental competition!

technically Japan never qualified before they were awarded the tournament either.

Im willing to give them a chance and will be better than waking up at terrible hours to watch games in Australia and was probably best option for European countries to watch the games regarding time zones

So that's the best argument you have to support it?

Face it, they **** up big time giving it to Qatar. The US and Australia, even Japan and South Korea, would've been much better choices.

I'm trying to make his point which you dodged. The world exists outside of Europe, football is popular there. Occasionally its fine that we have to suffer early morning games, we can't and shouldn't "hog" the world cup because it suites our sleeping patterns.

Yes we should.

Europe is the most important football continent and has the biggest TV audience.

Yes we should.

Europe is the most important football continent and has the biggest TV audience.

Wouldn't hurt to sleep late for a month every 8 years or so would it?

Â