Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

I have been critical of KEA but I have to say yesterday I thought he put a really good shift in. He was constantly trying to close Southampton down, really put himself about and gave his all. It is a shame a few of the other players didn't follow suit.

There was quite a telling point in the game yesterday involving KEA. Villa had just cleared the ball and KEA went chasing it down, chased it over the half way line in fact until he looked around and realised not a single player had followed and were all in fact still camped just on the edge of our penalty area. He turned around and waved people forward and when they didn't he reluctantly retreated.

Decent but limited.

It will show how much we've improved midfield in the summer if he's still a regular starter next year.

I have no issues with him being a squad player.

yes I agree a decent squad player. 

Let's be honest regarding kea.

The only player to close down players, the only player who plays sharp 1-2 passes, the only player who actually makes runs into box from deep.

Yes he is limited but he is giving it his all

• Like 4

I doubt many would agree with me but for actual hard work and effort this season I'd actually put him as a player of the season contender.

YES he has put in a shift this season. Fore me If there was an award for the player that worked the hardest this season he would be the only finalist. At times KEA has been the only interested person/coach involved in games. 

I doubt many would agree with me but for actual hard work and effort this season I'd actually put him as a player of the season contender.

I'd definitely put him as a contender alongside Guzan, Delph and Vlaar. I think Vlaar would edge it for me.

I would put him as a contender too and that just shows how shite our squad is. KEA's are ten a penny in this league.

I agree they are ten a penny in terms of players who have pretty much one good attribute or type of game.

That said, KEA has won more tackles and interceptions in the opposition half than any other player in the league, I believe.

He's really good at pressing the opponents, which is a positive attribute and something we didn't see last season. Shame his passing isn't the best but overall I like him and he has done well for us.

Really nice guy too.

He is a short passer for the most part - he looked quite accomplished when we started out playing a very short passing style under Lambert (wow, that seems a very long time ago). That style of play lasted about one game.

Not sure about POTS but agree that he has been a good player this year, much improved on last season. Think he gets a lot of un-neccessary stick, he gets in decent attacking positions aswel which neither westwood or delph do as often. It seemed to me against southampton that he was the player on our team who looked most likely to score.

• 2 months later...

Just browsing through the Chris Herd thread and saw someone describe KEA as being a headless chicken. Wanted to respond in there but obviously would take it off topic so thought I would bring it over to the correct place.

Is there anyone else that actually thinks KEA is a headless chicken apart from the aforementioned?

For me personally he is far from it. The fact that he is closing down and running all over the place is due to the fact that our others two midfielders are usually very deep and holding position. His energy and work rate are a massive plus point when playing 3 relatively deep lying midfielders.

Can't quite understand the abuse he gets in this regard.

Edited by sexbelowsound

he gets unnecessary criticism as he isn't a flashy midfielder that will rifle in 20 yard strikes or dribble past players, same as Westwood. He is a good honest pro and one of our best players last season with his workrate and postiitoning

Yeah that's kind of what I thought people would say because its spot on. I just don't get the headless chicken comments. I don't want to say those sort of comments come from people who don't appear to watch Villa too often but it does sound that way.

Didn't let us down at all last season and had a number of excellent games.

His pressing is excellent, would be a much better player if he had a bit more weight and muscle about him to boss the tackles/runs around the edge of our box.

Going forward he is neat and tidy but not a lot more, a big reason why we look toothless against sides who organise well against us. Doesn't have the imagination to unlock, is more a tick tock player.

Â