Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9427586/transfer-news-karim-el-ahmadi-expects-aston-villa-departure-next-summer

Keep him for the season if he wants to stay as he is good cover for midfield. These comments are coming with a couple of weeks left of the transfer window so it looks like he wants to go or has been told to go.

If he's saying he expects to go then we might as well sell him for £1-2m now and put in back in the kitty to improve the squad.

• Like 2

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9427586/transfer-news-karim-el-ahmadi-expects-aston-villa-departure-next-summer

Keep him for the season if he wants to stay as he is good cover for midfield. These comments are coming with a couple of weeks left of the transfer window so it looks like he wants to go or has been told to go.

Or he just found out he won't be offered a new contract now.

An unfairly maligned individual - I hope we get to see him and Sanchez play at some point but it looks like Westwood will be preferred.

And rightly so.

I don't know what El Ahmadi's best role is or even what type of midfielder he is.  Westwood plays simple passes and helps retain possession - something El Ahmadi just doesn't do at all.  If Sanchez comes in as the defensive midfielder/destroyer then El Ahmadi is absolutely the player that makes way (in that regard).

Edited by bobzy

An unfairly maligned individual - I hope we get to see him and Sanchez play at some point but it looks like Westwood will be preferred.

And rightly so.

I don't know what El Ahmadi's best role is or even what type of midfielder he is.  Westwood plays simple passes and helps retain possession - something El Ahmadi just doesn't do at all.  If Sanchez comes in as the defensive midfielder/destroyer then El Ahmadi is absolutely the player that makes way (in that regard).

Last seasons passing success percentage - Westwood 82.9%, KEA 81.9%/

Tackles - Westwood 1.6 pg, KEA 3.4 pg

Westwood scored 3, KEA 2 - but Westwood started 9 more games. 

So Westwood is a marginally better passer and goalscorer but KEA is way better at tackling... that's what we've bought Sanchez for, right?  Out he goes.

Goals per minutes on the pitch would probably work out at about the same. 

1 percent means nothing really - I'd favour the guy that can press higher up the pitch. 

One of those goals for KEA was offside - not that it matters too much ;)

I'd favour the more consistant performer.  You know what you get with Westwood and he's been played, essentially, "out of position" in that holding role.  El Ahmadi is prone to blunders (i.e: Brunt's goal against us at VP.) and seems to conceed possession quite a bit.  He's just not a good enough player at doing anything in particular and we don't play a pressing game.

They concede possession just as much as each other, barring one pass in one hundred - as evidenced by the statistics - that's pretty much exactly the same in terms of passing ability so I don't really know what you're on about. 

I agree with Jonah that they're much of a muchness though and it's down to personal preference, at the end of the day. 

And rightly so.

Last seasons passing success percentage - Westwood 82.9%, KEA 81.9%/

Tackles - Westwood 1.6 pg, KEA 3.4 pg

Westwood scored 3, KEA 2 - but Westwood started 9 more games. 

Average passes per game -  Westwood  46.5  ,  El Ahmadi   23.2

Average key passes per game -  Westwood 1.9  ,El Ahmadi 0.6 

Average Long balls per game -  Westwood 4.8  , El Ahmadi   0.4 

If KEA played as many long balls as Westwood would his pass accuracy go down?    No point using a couple of stats while leaving out other stats that are relevant to point your trying to make!  I like KEA for what he offers as a good squad player but him and Westwood are totally different players.  KEA is limited at this level whereas Westwood looks the part and could be a starter for us for many years.

• Like 1

They concede possession just as much as each other, barring one pass in one hundred - as evidenced by the statistics - that's pretty much exactly the same in terms of passing ability so I don't really know what you're on about. 

I agree with Jonah that they're much of a muchness though and it's down to personal preference, at the end of the day. 

A misplaced pass isn't the only way to concede possession...

If El Ahmadi was played in the deeper role that Westwood is I think we would have seen that he is actually better than Westwood.

Ah, THAT'S why he was played there then :D

Â