Martin McGuiness to meet the Queen

PauloBarnesi

The Maquis, freedom fighter's or terrorists?

The Sandinista's?

Shining Path?

The subject is clearly too emotive for some people to employ rational thought. Like Mike, I always fully supported the idea of Irish Republicanism (and still do) but there is no way I could ever condone the tactics employed so in no way was I ever a supporter (if that is the right word) of the IRA. The thing is though, those times are firmly in the past. We all need to move on and think about the future. We all need to forgive and forget. If we don't do that the peace process could well come to a sticky end, not for the want of trying by many but because there are just as many who refuse to forget. MMcG shaking hands with Madge is hugely symbolic and all the people who don't like it and criticise it, must realise that with the entrenched attitudes they show, peace can never happen. It might appear distasteful but at the end of the day it is hugely necessary for the advancement of peace.

MMcG shaking hands with Madge is hugely symbolic and all the people who don't like it and criticise it, must realise that with the entrenched attitudes they show, peace can never happen. It might appear distasteful but at the end of the day it is hugely necessary for the advancement of peace.

Bullshit.

It's absolutely my right as a free human being to speak my mind without fear of being blown to pieces.

I have no problem at all with the people of Ireland north or south. I'm not sure how that has been insinuated. In fact, I went on a date with an Irish lass last night (well she's from Dublin, not sure if that counts!) and we didn't resort to violence at any point. Unless you count a cheeky slap on the buttock.

It's perfectly fine to understand, even sympathise with somebody's cause whilst simultaneously thinking they're a **** maniac who if he was an Army general rather than a terrorist would be dragged before the Hague rather than taking a seat in Parliament.

I understand it's a very emotive subject and I'm sorry if I have upset anyone. A handshake will never be enough to pay penance for the lives taken, never. From both sides.

I can't be the only one who feels this way?

MMcG shaking hands with Madge is hugely symbolic and all the people who don't like it and criticise it, must realise that with the entrenched attitudes they show, peace can never happen. It might appear distasteful but at the end of the day it is hugely necessary for the advancement of peace.

Bullshit.

It's absolutely my right as a free human being to speak my mind without fear of being blown to pieces.

I have no problem at all with the people of Ireland north or south. I'm not sure how that has been insinuated. In fact, I went on a date with an Irish lass last night (well she's from Dublin, not sure if that counts!) and we didn't resort to violence at any point. Unless you count a cheeky slap on the buttock.

It's perfectly fine to understand, even sympathise with somebody's cause whilst simultaneously thinking they're a **** maniac who if he was an Army general rather than a terrorist would be dragged before the Hague rather than taking a seat in Parliament.

I understand it's a very emotive subject and I'm sorry if I have upset anyone. A handshake will never be enough to pay penance for the lives taken, never. From both sides.

I can't be the only one who feels this way?

No, I understand what you say. But I don't agree, and neither would Nelson Mandela (who according to some should still be locked up as a terrorist).

If the choice is between backing down or perpetuating an unwinnable blood feud, my vote goes to backing down.

]No, I understand what you say. But I don't agree, and neither would Nelson Mandela (who according to some should still be locked up as a terrorist).

If the choice is between backing down or perpetuating an unwinnable blood feud, my vote goes to backing down.

Thank you for a reasoned response, at last.

I agree, for what it's worth. at least to a point. However, I find it incredibly hard to stomach and I refuse to see it as a triumph that people like McGuiness are in the position to shake hands with heads of state. Of any nation.

But yes, if it has to be this way it's preferable to more bloodshed.

Â