Martin McGuiness to meet the Queen

PauloBarnesi

I hope the Queen drops the nut on the word removed.

Can I just go on record in saying that this would be the funniest thing of all time if it happened. Not the politics behind it, but the mental image of an 86 year old lady dressed in royal regalia headbutting a senior politician in his own house has tickled me. :lol:

I think it's easy to be cynical about this, but does it not represent massive progress in the peace process? This would have been unthinkable in the not so distant past. If this meeting can help bring eventual resolution, and help build bridges, then it can only be a good thing.
Bang on the money.

Remarkable. Imagine it taking 20 years to meet the person you've been working for.
You've got it wrong: it's only been ten years. The Queen last visited the Northern Irish people who pay her salary in 2002.

This. And perhaps while she's at it, can get him to tell her where he's hiding those who bombed Birmingham all those years ago.
Now now, since when does the Crown Prosecution Service care about catching the bastards who actually bombed Birmingham?

It's political theatre lads, (provisional) Sinn Fein took a hammering last year down south for not meeting Lizzy Windsor when she was on tour round these parts. This is their way of making up for it.

As I said on twatter - Thank god Bin Laden is dead otherwise her royal highness would be on her knees before him in 20 years time begging to swallow the lot.

As she has clearly lost her marbles recently, whoever put her up to this needs shooting.

As I said on twatter - Thank god Bin Laden is dead otherwise her royal highness would be on her knees before him in 20 years time begging to swallow the lot.

As she has clearly lost her marbles recently, whoever put her up to this needs shooting.

Reckon Bin Laden would be elected by your fellow UK citizens as a Member of Parliament within twenty years, do you?

Queen Elizabeth's own son is the colonel-in-chief of the British soldiers that decided to massacre innocent marchers in McGuinness' home city, and then take forty years to admit it. Elizabeth is also the head of state of a nation whose government refuse to release files to the Irish government about British security involvement in blowing up 26 innocent people (plus one unborn) in Dublin. I doubt McGuinness brought these issues up. Why? Both sides are moving on.

Yours is a dangerous, chip-on-the-shoulder, stuck-in-the-past attitude that would continue the bloodshed, be it in Derry or in Birmingham.

Two people shaking hands. Not a huge deal, but it's the type of thing that stops war/terrorism and saves lives. It's great that it's happened, and just a pity it didn't happen sooner.

Reckon Bin Laden would be elected by your fellow UK citizens as a Member of Parliament within twenty years, do you?

Queen Elizabeth's own son is the colonel-in-chief of the British soldiers that decided to massacre innocent marchers in McGuinness' home city, and then take forty years to admit it. Elizabeth is also the head of state of a nation whose government refuse to release files to the Irish government about British security involvement in blowing up 26 innocent people (plus one unborn) in Dublin. I doubt McGuinness brought these issues up. Why? Both sides are moving on.

Yours is a dangerous, chip-on-the-shoulder, stuck-in-the-past attitude that would continue the bloodshed, be it in Derry or in Birmingham.

Two people shaking hands. Not a huge deal, but it's the type of thing that stops war/terrorism and saves lives. It's great that it's happened, and just a pity it didn't happen sooner.

Good post Enda.

it is all about moving on really, isn't it.

As with any problem like this, the 'moving on' aspect is all important. You don't have to necessarily forgive and forget, but to progress, we do need to move on, and this moment helps immensely IMO.

Â