Ashley Young's performance at Euro 2012

sonic_bouma

Not sure on this Roy made the wrong subs theory.

England had been practicing pens all week in the build up to this game, so I'm assuming that Roy knew who his penalty takers were going to be. I would hazard a guess that Young was left on because he was a nominated kicker, who had been practicing pens in the build up to the game. The fact that he missed a penalty was neither here nor there really, anyone can miss a pen.

Pirlo

More important, however, was the freedom Andrea Pirlo enjoyed. At times England’s shape was good, bringing both strikers back into the midfield zone, remaining compact and getting both Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney goalside of Pirlo. When Welbeck was in a position to close down the Juventus midfielder, he generally did his job excellently.

Rooney was much sloppier, and after half an hour when Pirlo’s dominance had become clear, Joe Hart was clearly heard shouting at Rooney to pick him up. Hodgson clearly wanted Rooney to do this, because for much of the game Rooney could be seen half-heartedly jogging towards Pirlo. It was reminiscent of the 2011 Champions League final, where he started off marking Sergio Busquets, before gradually leaving Manchester United outnumbered in midfield.

It’s odd that Rooney’s tactical indiscipline has become such a problem – only a few years ago his willingness to sacrifice his own attacking game for the good of the team was reagrded as one of his main qualities. England could have done with someone like Rooney’s club teammate, Park Ji-Sung, who did a superb job on Pirlo in 2009/10 – Urby Emanuelson did something similar for Milan earlier this year. Leaving Pirlo free was suicidal, and he completed over 30 more passes than any other player.

Thanks a lot, Rooney.

Penalty misses in tournaments don't seem to mean as much any more. It was a massive deal for ages when Waddle & Pearce missed, Southgate too even Batty to a degree.

Is it just me getting older as the reason why it seems a bit meh now?

Not sure on this Roy made the wrong subs theory.

England had been practicing pens all week in the build up to this game, so I'm assuming that Roy knew who his penalty takers were going to be. I would hazard a guess that Young was left on because he was a nominated kicker, who had been practicing pens in the build up to the game. The fact that he missed a penalty was neither here nor there really, anyone can miss a pen.

What was the point in bringing Walcott on? can't take pens, and didn't do anything..

Tbf the only Villa penalty taker in recent years that has filled me with confidence was Barry. Every time he stepped up I knew he was going to score, same couldn't be said for Young, Milner and Bent. Who knows how it would have gone if Barry and Lampard were there to take one?

Lampard missed a few wouldnt be as confident myself. Barry yes and also Leighton Baines, Cole is usually a good penalty taker

Penalty misses in tournaments don't seem to mean as much any more. It was a massive deal for ages when Waddle & Pearce missed, Southgate too even Batty to a degree.

Is it just me getting older as the reason why it seems a bit meh now?

It was probably because in 90 we could have won that tournament, same in '96 and I'd argue the same in 2004.

Whereas less people remember 1998, probably because winning that world cup would have been much harder (and Beckham overshadowed it I suppose) and same with 2006

Also, in all of those games that are remembered, we competed. We could quite easily have beaten the opposition in all of those previous games, again '90, '96, and '04 especially, in my opinion.

No-one thinks we'd have won this tournament, and we got so completely battered in the game against Italy, that it was both expected and deserved.

No shock. At Villa, told he is the best, starts to think it, forgets basics, goes to pot. England exactly the same pattern.

No doubt whether he was going to miss that pen.

I reckon Hart was gonna take number 5. Disappointed he didn't save a couple, as we were never going to score 5/5

That was actually one of Ash's better pens, like Messi in the CL, 6 inches lower and everyone raves.

I think the 4 nightmare games Ash had will ultimately haunt him more then that miss

I reckon Hart was gonna take number 5. Disappointed he didn't save a couple, as we were never going to score 5/5

Me too, I was certain he'd save one.

But to be fair, he was slightly unlucky. Guessed right for two of them, one of which went wide anyway, and the other one was Balotelli's which was basically perfect. A foot (maybe not even that) closer to Hart and he saves that.

Hart for a penalty! Jesus we must be desperate!

Hart's taken more than one penalty in a competetive shootout scenario and smacked it in the top corner. From what i've seen of him in that situation (which is admittedly a small sample size) he's excellent.

Just because he's a keeper doesn't mean he can't take a penalty. In that situation it's all about nerves, and it would appear that Hart is someone who keeps his nerves wel well under control.

Completely agree Steve....

for me penalties (in particular huge occasions like last night) is 70% in the head and 30% ability....

Hart exudes huge amounts of maturity and could be a future England captain....

all this practising on the training pitch and scoring them is bollocks...

it all comes down to Who can handle the big occasion?

Young was never going to score

Agreed tp an extent, but you should still practise them.

Half of that confidence comes from knowing you've taken a million penalties and you can score them over and over.

There's a lot more to it than that, but if you haven't pracised taking them, how on earth can you be confident about your ability to score them?

Oh and ...... .... ..................... .....

;)

Yep, and tying in to my other post above, I'd imagine that's because he's ridiculously confident in his own ability, and doesn't really give a shit what people think.

Which means when he steps up, he doesn't feel the pressure, or at least nowhere near as much as anyone else on the pitch.

Maybe excluding Pirlo :)

Â