North Stand TV Screen Returns!

Rob182

We turned down the Olympics for no reason.

Not true. Dale has the correct line. The little bit of kudos was more than outweighed by the logistical issues and hassle for the club.

I'm glad the club are more focussed on keeping Villa Park in 'tip top' condition and ready for a new season of Premier League football. 8)

I recall O.B.E. asking us for questions and suggestions to put to the powers at VP at some fans consultation meeting a while back . I believe my input was for smokers to be allowed outside during the game and would like to think I am responsible for this :D:D:D .

It is far more hassle than its worth, none of the stadia are going to be making a significant amount of money.

To an extent RunRickRun but it is not all about money and I think it would have been nice to have had some Olympic sport in Birmingham. It was an opportunity missed for me and the reason given for pulling out never really stood up to close scrutiny.

It is far more hassle than its worth, none of the stadia are going to be making a significant amount of money.

To an extent RunRickRun but it is not all about money and I think it would have been nice to have had some Olympic sport in Birmingham. It was an opportunity missed for me and the reason given for pulling out never really stood up to close scrutiny.

:?

Can you share the 'close scrutiny' details?

The details I read pointed towards plenty of logistical issues, particularly starting the season with a good pitch that would stand the test of a long league season; something that Villa place a high priority compared to many clubs. Perhaps it's the previous embarrassment of the green sand covering the muddy centre circle in the 90s!

brommy as I recall, Villa Park was withdrawn as a venue for the 2012 Olympic football tournament because we were instead to go ahead with plans for major construction work in 2012 with a view to hosting 2018 World Cup games and increasing our ground capacity. The World Cup was always odds against and the construction work appears to have died a sudden but not an unanticipated death.

A statement from Locog, the London 2012 organising committee at the time said: "It has been agreed with Aston Villa that because they are unable to make firm commitments to the project, the best course of action is for Villa Park to be withdrawn as an Olympic venue".

Â