Comedians you like and cant stand

donnie

Simon Amstell was absolutely brilliant on Never mind the Buzzcocks, truely clever and witty guy.

Frank Skinner is one i forgot, up their with the best

Dave Chapelle is a legend, used to be very funny, now is slightly washed up

Chubby Brown has his moments i guess as well, but a bit too vulgar. A poor mans bernard manning.

Noel fielding - cant stand him either, the mighty boosh is truely the worst thing ive ever seen in my life. Unfunny and just stupid.

Tim Vine is pretty awesome if you like pun humour, which you have to be in the right frame of mind for.

I have a soft spot for him too, and one-liners in general. I don't really like comics who base their entire shows on offending people or their own racial stereotypes.

I agree with those who find Russell Howard insufferable

Tim Vine is pretty awesome if you like pun humour, which you have to be in the right frame of mind for.

They used to do a comedy night at my local(infact they still do but i moved) when comedians used to try some material.

Tim Vine was on one night, i wasn't very happy as i thought he was shit but i say through his act and he was brilliant. I have to say it was one of my favorite gigs ive seen.

Other favorites were Frank Skinner, Reginald d Hunter(in the very early days) and this mad bloke to almost sexually abused my mate as we were on the front row.

The best comedy gig I've ever seen was in the Original Oak in Leeds. It's a pub with this small comedy night on every week.

The guy was Rob Rouse. Only time I've seen him on TV was when he had a brief stint co-hosting the Friday Night project in it's first series. It was when Jimmy Carr hosted it before Justin Lee COllins and Alan Carr.

Anyway, he was absoluely hilarious in this stand up we saw him in. literally in stitches for the entire time.

Oh and add Noel Fielding to my list of comedians I hate. Awful. The Mighty Boosh in general was just shite.

Also saw Rob Rouse, he was very funny.

Also agree with Noel Fielding, never found him funny. I remember catching an end to a Mighty Boosh and there was something funny that made me laugh, i then preceded to watch about another 2-3 episodes before i gave up.

Yep. I wanted to like it, I really did. I'd heard people talk about it but never seen it. So I went round to my mate's who had the box set, and proceeded to watch 2 episodes.

I don't think I even smiled once. The only funny bits were so telegraphed that it removed any comedy from it. It was like someone saying "Here comes the funny bit...wait for it...here it comes...AHHHHH there it is"

TErrible television

women play to stereotypes too much. that is their problem.

"I am foreign and will mock my own country!"

"I am fat and will make jokes about eating and being fat"

"I am blonde so will talk about being stupid"

Sarah Millican is as close as you will get to a female comedian not living up to a stereotype throughout the act. She does pray on her "I will always be single and lonely" act a bit but will give her that.

Going back to Tim Vine, his humour is something you have to be in the mood for. Even if you enjoy pun humour but had a really shit day at work or at home and went to his gig, you'd struggle to really laugh.

Wasn't he also the person who came up with the great pun gag (something like) "I can't stand Bulimia, it makes me **** sick"

those pun gags are bloody great!

The thing with Tim Vine is less that each joke is funny, and more that they just keep coming. His act is less about the jokes really and more that you're going to barraged with them for an hour or so and eventually that just becomes funny. I never liked him when I saw clips of him, on those comedian list shows and the like. Then I happened to catch one of his shows on the telly when nothing was on. To start with you might smile, have a small laugh, but when you've had 15 minutes and had 30 of these puns and simple visual gags it just gets funnier. Helps if you've had a drink, admittedly.

I think all of my favourites will have been listed by now.

Bill Bailey (Part Troll is genuis, start to end. Gone downhill fast though, main stream popularity has not helped him)

Bill Hicks (Genius)

Billy Connolly (Seeing him live, even when he's getting on and no longer pumping out the classic stuff, is an experience. 2 hours straight, could barely breathe)

Dara O'Briain

Richard Pryor (legendary with good reason)

Louis CK

Dylan Moran

(first spotted him on Live at the Apollo,
)

Tommy Cooper (though he's more of an entertainer)

Stewart Lee

Phill Jupitus (Quadrophobia is one of my favourite stand ups... the bit on spiders, is just excellent)

Cannot stand

99% of 'comediennes' - Far too much reliance on either background (Shappi Khorsadi 'I'm Iranian!', that Nigerian woman...), or the gender divide.

Jenny Eclair - excluded from the above for being particularly shit.

Michael Mcintyre - a face you just couldn't stop punching, and not funny. His manner **** me off.

Russell Howard - 'RANDOM SHIT!!!!!!!!!! is really funny!'

Jimmy Carr - has his stuff written for him IIRC, and I really don't like that one liner style he has. Better as a panel member/presenter.

Frankie Boyle - More or less the same issues with Carr on style but increasingly guns for 'controversial' in such a cynical manner it isn't funny.

Ricky Gervais - Just a prick

Lee Evans - Gurning about, sweating, height of comedy mate.

All the racists. Thankfully consigned to the bin by and large.

Trying to think of a female comedian that has actually even made me smirk let alone laugh, narrowed it down to one....joan rivers (i think thats her name, very old, frankenstein looking woman from america)

The best comedy gig I've ever seen was in the Original Oak in Leeds. It's a pub with this small comedy night on every week.
It's pub where I drank every night during my final year at university. No comedy club in those days though, just drinking. Oh, and a Pong machine.

strangely enough i have never found Peter Kay very funny at all...actually quite dislike the guy....

but a few months ago i was dragged to a working mans club in Castleford to see Lee Lard who was a Peter Kay tribute act...

and he was absolutely **** hilarious....my head hurt afterwards....

he looked like him and sounded like him but didn't copy his jokes...

IMO he deserves to be more famous than Kay himself!

Â