Camera DSLR

Dodgyknees

Is the video capturing good on it? That's the thing that had me leaning towards the 650D. If it's pretty similar then I will probably end up going for the D5100 as you are suggesting.

I'm using the d7000.. Very happy with it. Only issue I have with it is that I occasionally struggle with the auto focus, especially if I'm shooting sport or other things with movement. Colors looks better with it compared to my "old" d90, especially on higher ISO. Wouldn't mind a d800, but I can't afford it atm.

Here's a shot from a test shoot I did today with the d7000 and a 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 vr.

3j4v3.jpg

Hey b23, I wondering what lens I should get next. I have the 18-55mm that comes with the camera, and a Tamron 70-300mm tele/macro lens. The stock lens is ok for snaps but i would like to take those snazzy snaps where the background is all out of focus. The zoom lens does this but it zooms too far (Sorry for the terminology, as you can see I'm no expert!) What would you go for?

Also what lens is best for landscape photos?

That's called depth of field. It can be faked with software if you need it to be too, though I presume the effect is better if it is done with a lens.

Hey b23, I wondering what lens I should get next. I have the 18-55mm that comes with the camera, and a Tamron 70-300mm tele/macro lens. The stock lens is ok for snaps but i would like to take those snazzy snaps where the background is all out of focus. The zoom lens does this but it zooms too far (Sorry for the terminology, as you can see I'm no expert!) What would you go for?

Also what lens is best for landscape photos?

A prime lens like a 35mm, 50mm or 85mm would do that. Basically the bigger the aperture (low f-numbers like 1.8 ), the more control you have over the depth of field (the plane that is in focus). Depth of field also relies on distance to subject and focal length, so a telephoto zoom will give the same effect on a smaller aperture (ie. 5.6), but will also flatten an image (objects in background appear closer).

For landscapes it kinda depends. If won't hurt to have a telephoto in your bag, but in general you want something that is wide and sharp foreground to background. That way you can include foreground objects in a nice landscape scene. A wide angle is great, but some of the cheaper models tend to give lots of distortion (barrel effect).

I've heard very good things about the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Cheers, as a novice I'm always a bit wary.

Can I ask yet another idiot question? The depth of field indicator, how exactly do i use it? If I have it all the way over above 7ft is that the distance I am away from what I'm photographing?

I know, I know, dumb question, I'm cringing asking it!

I'm using the d7000.. Very happy with it. Only issue I have with it is that I occasionally struggle with the auto focus, especially if I'm shooting sport or other things with movement. Colors looks better with it compared to my "old" d90, especially on higher ISO. Wouldn't mind a d800, but I can't afford it atm.

Here's a shot from a test shoot I did today with the d7000 and a 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 vr.

3j4v3.jpg

Hairy faces are hairy. :shock:

Â