Highlight of your life...

Shillzz

I'd probably have to roll a whole heap of experiences up into one ball - my career.

I've been incredibly fortunate that it's taken me to parts of the world that I never dreamed I'd see (I got back from Sri Lanka a few hours ago) including South Africa for the World Cup in 2010. It's enabled me to live in Germany and Holland, and hopefully there will be more exciting places in that list to come.

I've met some of my heroes in a working environment so have been able to spend quality time with them - Hristo Stoichkov, Peter Saville, Neil Barrett, Alan Shearer and Pele. Spending an hour talking him through the collection we'd worked on really hit home just what a fortunate position I was in. I've been responsible for the team that designed the England kit, and personally designed 13 of the 32 kits at the 2006 World Cup as well as the outfit Usain Bolt was wearing at the Beijing Olympics.

The highlight though, if I had to pick one, would be Italy winning the World Cup in a kit I designed. As a child I used to buy Roy of the Rovers and Tipp-Ex out the kits so I could design my own. To see Fabio Grosso slam that penalty home and watch the team lift the trophy was just incredible. I wasn't at the game but remember the moment as clear as day.

As a designer and as a football fan it was the perfect moment. I'll continue to strive to beat it though.

I won't lie, I'm impressed.

Off to google the Italian kit.

lucky we can't include our kids or I'd fill up the interweb !!

but ....

Crossing the international date line on my 40th so I got to celebrate it twice , Night out in Auckland ,AM flight to Samoa and back 24 hours and a night out in Apia ..48 hour session FTW

Swimming with Whale Sharks in Djibouti

Seeing the Military Parade in North Korea

Saving a penalty from David Howells

Flying Concorde

Taking the Qinghai - Tibet railway .. train at 5,068 ... totally amazing

Swimming with Humpback Whales in Tonga

Sleeping in a hammock at the foot of Angel falls

Can see now why I love my travel so much .... When I'm old and bed ridden assuming I've not gone totally gaga I'll have plenty to look back on fondly ( it was in a thread long long time ago about my Aunt that died aged 80 and the Vicar said at her funeral "Rene lived a long life and enjoyed watching TV and reading books " 80 years , lived through a war and that was all the vic could come up with !! .... he's gonna have to work overtime when he reads out the thing I did in my life all being well )

You really are a boring ****, Cockney

:winkold: :winkold: :winkold:

It's quite a mundane answer, but the first time I drove a car on my own was a feeling I will never forget. I dont think I have ever felt so free.

I'd probably have to roll a whole heap of experiences up into one ball - my career.

I've been incredibly fortunate that it's taken me to parts of the world that I never dreamed I'd see (I got back from Sri Lanka a few hours ago) including South Africa for the World Cup in 2010. It's enabled me to live in Germany and Holland, and hopefully there will be more exciting places in that list to come.

I've met some of my heroes in a working environment so have been able to spend quality time with them - Hristo Stoichkov, Peter Saville, Neil Barrett, Alan Shearer and Pele. Spending an hour talking him through the collection we'd worked on really hit home just what a fortunate position I was in. I've been responsible for the team that designed the England kit, and personally designed 13 of the 32 kits at the 2006 World Cup as well as the outfit Usain Bolt was wearing at the Beijing Olympics.

The highlight though, if I had to pick one, would be Italy winning the World Cup in a kit I designed. As a child I used to buy Roy of the Rovers and Tipp-Ex out the kits so I could design my own. To see Fabio Grosso slam that penalty home and watch the team lift the trophy was just incredible. I wasn't at the game but remember the moment as clear as day.

As a designer and as a football fan it was the perfect moment. I'll continue to strive to beat it though.

Can you go into a bit of detail on what your job is? I know you say designer buts thats skimming the surface. And yes I know I am going off topic.

Does on of your 2 golds at Aspen stand out over the others BL ? Or we're you just awesome both times :-)

Hmm yeah as it's the biggest thing to win in the sport. Though i did lame up after the first win, crying like a sad loser haha :oops:

Can you go into a bit of detail on what your job is? I know you say designer buts thats skimming the surface. And yes I know I am going off topic.

I did a BA in Fashion Design with Technology and when I graduated I went to work as a designer for Puma UK. That was just designing "exclusives" for the likes of JJB and working on one or two football kits like Everton's 3rd kit and Bohemians (I think...).

I quickly moved to the company HQ in Germany where I was designing all of Puma's football apparel. After a couple of years I needed support so two other designers were brought in to work for me. For the 2006 World Cup I was made "Concept Lead" which basically meant designing the kits and training line whilst co-ordinating the footwear and equipment to set the colour palette, graphic stories, etc and make sure everyone followed them and that the styling was consistent.

After the success of that I was promoted to manage all of the performance apparel designers - motorsport, football, running, women's fitness and yoga, swimwear, and sailing. I was also Concept Lead on these collections so my responsibilities for the World Cup were then run across the new categories. I had to stop designing the football kits, though, as the workload was too much so I worked only on a small running collection and the men's track and field product for the Olympics.

Now at Umbro I've got a similar role to the one I had at Puma. The Creative Director sets the direction for the business as a whole and I set the design direction for the performance team and they design the boots, balls, equipment, kits and training products accordingly.

I'll get involved fully in the designs on occasions - if something isn't working out or there is a special project. Most recently that has been the New York Cosmos Blackout collection and also the collar on the England home shirt.

I'm fortunate to have had the opportunities I've had, there's no doubt about that, and I love that I get paid to do a hobby for a job. It's not always as glamorous as it sounds, though, but the highlights are particularly high.

Does on of your 2 golds at Aspen stand out over the others BL ? Or we're you just awesome both times :-)

Hmm yeah as it's the biggest thing to win in the sport. Though i did lame up after the first win, crying like a sad loser haha :oops:

What?! I've missed something here. Need more details please!

Not the best topic for me to posting in as you need to have lead something of a life first so my crappy contribution is thus;

First car

Moving into my own place for the first time (even if it was sharing with the ex)

First proper paycheck

First shag

First tug

Completing Final Fantasy 9

Back heel overhead flick into a 35 yard volley with Bergkamp on Pro Evo 4 (oh yes, I saved the highlight of that bad boy!)

Villa 7 - 1 Wimbledon (my first game)

Go me!

You have a good job.

Thanks.

You must be loaded.

You'd be surprised!

But those lines on the back of the 2006 Italy kits. Looked like sweat patches. :x :winkold:

We worked with a collaborator, Neil Barrett, on that. The concept was that the Italian team were superheroes, and so the dark areas were intended to make the players look like they were still moving when they were in photos (like a superhero with the "whoosh" lines coming off them in a comic).

They away kit looked like it had the home shirt underneath. This was to create a "Clark Kent" idea that the superhero outfit was always worn under normal clothes.

What?! I've missed something here. Need more details please!

She's on Wikipedia, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTw9qJ2FxA. She is rather good. :P

You have a good job.

Thanks.

You must be loaded.

You'd be surprised!

But those lines on the back of the 2006 Italy kits. Looked like sweat patches. :x :winkold:

We worked with a collaborator, Neil Barrett, on that. The concept was that the Italian team were superheroes, and so the dark areas were intended to make the players look like they were still moving when they were in photos (like a superhero with the "whoosh" lines coming off them in a comic).

They away kit looked like it had the home shirt underneath. This was to create a "Clark Kent" idea that the superhero outfit was always worn under normal clothes.

I can see what you were trying, but for me the concept didnt really work. But I would absolutely love to have your job. Getting up in the morning doing something that fun would be very easy. I quite liked the Italy 2006 away kit and I was hoping they would of used that in the final against France. If only Villa were Puma, we could all inbox you our ideas of a good kit.

Â