Kevin MacDonald to leave Villa

wedge

Realistically if he wants to step up to managing a club he probably needs to go somewhere in a lower division and work his way up. his previous spell as a premier was hardly a success so he couldn't really expect a job at a big club just now. some club in league 1 or league 2 could take a chance on him and he'd do very well I reckon

Given he is in his early 50s it seems a little late to seek a job as a manager and I am not sure how much more money if any he would bring home as a manager in the lower leagues than he did in his job for us. It did seem he had a job with us for as long as he wanted one but has now decided he no longer wants the job that is on offer. It is a high risk for him as he would not be given a lot of time to prove himself elsewhere. I just think he may have got a taste for management in his brief times spent in more elevated positions at Villa Park and might not have wanted to return to working below first team level which is the role he is best fitted for at our club. He would know that the Villa job would be too big a step up for him and have therefore decided he wanted to try his luck somewhere else before it was to late to do so.

Whatever the reason for his departure might be I would have liked to see him stay but wish him luck for the future and thank him for the service he has given to our football club over the years.

Re the comments on CI - The site guidelines clearly ask posters not to post about other posters, but to stick to the topic at hand. The mods are becoming irked at the apparent disregard for the rules. Please desist from posting on poster

I suspect he was interviewed for the Managers role, didn't get the position and now he's going to look for a managers role at another club.

He probably sees going back to the reserves as a step backwards in his career.

Jack Grealish is upset about this;

Jack Grealish ‏@JackGrealish1

What ?!?! Kev mcdonald leaving? So so upset n annoyed after hearing that! Definatly one of the greatest managers ive played under...

...And would love to play under him again, wish him all the best where ever he goes!! Upset n annoyed !!

I really hope he gets a managers job soon.

Who the **** is jack grealish?

Would imagine that the club offered kmac something back with reserves or youth but having had a taste of first team involvement i'd imagine that's where he sees himself now, hence leaving as that opportunity is not available @ villa with the impending signatures of Lamberts back room staff.....

In the present circumstances probably the best decision for both parties. I just feel kmac is too nice to be a successful manager in the Premiership but could be another Dario O'Grady of the lower leagues.

Re the comments on CI - The site guidelines clearly ask posters not to post about other posters, but to stick to the topic at hand. The mods are becoming irked at the apparent disregard for the rules. Please desist from posting on poster

Fair enough...

Apologies CI...

Im still not sure as to why the McDonald love-in?

Can understand the angst if the Youth Development honcho of Crewe Alexandre, Man Utd, Everton (Rooney, Rodwell, maybe Barkley), Arsenal at a push (Wilshere) decided to upsticks and move on, but the youth players of Villa are hardly setting the world alight.

The new batch of Herd, Lichaj, Clark and Weimann may well be top notch, but there hasnt been much from Albrighton, Bannan and even Gabby to justfiy the revelry of Macdonald. Also, his tenure as manager was not pretty.

Sure he's a very nice guy, and the players love him as Jack Grealish said. But as others have said, theres no room for sentiment at AVFC.

I think Lambo wants some of his own staff in. I get the impression that there was no room for KMac in the set up. At least not the role he wanted so he decided to leave

Fair enough...

Apologies CI...

No worries VDU

I can see how at first it looks like he just walked, but now with the likes of Nursey coming out & saying he was asked to leave it looks more likely he was pushed

Shame, but let's hope PL moves onto the scouting staff now & push the likes of Montgomerie out the door too

He is obviously ambitious, can't fulfill his ambitions at VP, so he is going to find a new challenge, surely all of us would do the same if our current employers didn't offer us the prospects we wanted?

I wish him all the best, he has done well for us.

Im still not sure as to why the McDonald love-in?

Can understand the angst if the Youth Development honcho of Crewe Alexandre, Man Utd, Everton (Rooney, Rodwell, maybe Barkley), Arsenal at a push (Wilshere) decided to upsticks and move on, but the youth players of Villa are hardly setting the world alight.

The new batch of Herd, Lichaj, Clark and Weimann may well be top notch, but there hasnt been much from Albrighton, Bannan and even Gabby to justfiy the revelry of Macdonald. Also, his tenure as manager was not pretty.

Sure he's a very nice guy, and the players love him as Jack Grealish said. But as others have said, theres no room for sentiment at AVFC.

I can't argue with the Crewe argument.

But given the pull of Man Utd (even at youth level), it's not a shock they produce a few good youth every so often. Even then, since the fluke batch of Giggs etc.. there haven't been any showstoppers.

i'd class the development of Barry, Gabby, Cahill, Davis, Gardner, Hitzlsperger, Clark, Vassell, Samuel, Moore, Ridgwell as well as many of the nearly-ers and current crop as something Villa should be immensely proud of. Especially when compared to clubs of a similar stature.

I'd like to know why Rodwell was used as an example. If you want a hyped midfielder, with some talent but not quite enough for the very top..look at Steven Davis, Craig Gardner, Gary Gardner (hopefully not), all linked to massive clubs over time as well.

I think what I'm saying is, producing premiership-level players consistently without many of the financial and stature benefits our rivals have shouldn't be derided. Players like Rooney IMO are very rare and much the exception rather than something you can plan for.

Fair enough...

Apologies CI...

No worries VDU

I can see how at first it looks like he just walked, but now with the likes of Nursey coming out & saying he was asked to leave it looks more likely he was pushed

Shame, but let's hope PL moves onto the scouting staff now & push the likes of Montgomerie out the door too

Um, PDU?...

K-Mac is very popular in the dressing room and many at Villa i think might have wanted him to be given a shot at managing the team, including K-Mac himself. So I would for Lambo say it was simply a case of drawing the line under that. It may well be best for the team, even better would be to have him run the youths again but that would be a step down I don't think K-Mac is willing to take.

Jack Grealish is upset about this;

What ?!?! Kev mcdonald leaving? So so upset n annoyed after hearing that! Definatly one of the greatest managers ive played under...

...And would love to play under him again, wish him all the best where ever he goes!! Upset n annoyed !!

I really hope he gets a managers job soon.

Who the **** is jack grealish?

Would imagine that the club offered kmac something back with reserves or youth but having had a taste of first team involvement i'd imagine that's where he sees himself now, hence leaving as that opportunity is not available @ villa with the impending signatures of Lamberts back room staff.....

Ive been thinking the same for 18 years... Heard he's some mediorce midfielder whos been there since he was 6 i think. :lol:

On a serious note... Jacks like every other fan voicing his opinion. Bit harsh criticising him for voicing his own opinion via online websites whether it be social media or anything else? e.g: you guys are doing the exact same here on VT so what be the difference between him and you guys :?: