Kevin MacDonald to leave Villa

wedge

There is far too much sentiment that has manifested itself over recents years at VP and it has got in the way of success.Time for change and a ruthless streak to be brought in.

Best of luck Kevin, Thanks for your loyalty.

Right, now for business....I'm right behind you Paul.

Folk need to stop getting hysterical,KMac did a tremendous job with the youth/Reserve Team,at First team level he was never going to be part of PL plans as he will bring in his own staff.

Its all well and good having an all-conquering Youth / Reserve team, but whats the point if they dont produce very good First Team players?

Forgive my ignorance, but who have we actually brought through from grass roots that makes McDonald's work so fantastic?

Well if you had the privilege of watching Shaw, Little, Gidman, Deehan, Cowans...it may be a question well asked.

I believe too many of us have wallowed in mediocrity for too long and accolades have been dished out when they have not been called for....Loyalty is one thing and a virtue in itself , but success will not be achieved in blind faith.....This club has needed a ruthless streak to come in for some years...I think we may be getting it.

Don't be naive folks

He's been pushed more than likely

"...more than likely"

You haven't a clue either way and claim people are being naive... You really do spout a constant stream of rubbish.

i`m with you Mike, sometimes i think some treads should be named the CI drivel thread

There is far too much sentiment that has manifested itself over recents years at VP and it has got in the way of success.Time for change and a ruthless streak to be brought in.

exactly....

KMac has been a superb servant to us and deserves all the praise...

but im not gonna get my knickers in a twist about it....

this club needs change at every single level and obviously "hunger" and "vibrancy" is perhaps being installed everywhere....

there has probably been lots of discussions between the staff over the past few days about the future of the club and how we want to progress...

KMac obviously decided he didn't really fit into it...

Good luck fella

New Small Heath manager?

That would hurt.

Why?

He won't be a success with them. Which is one of the reasons I hope he does not move into management, i do not want him ridiculed.

He's a good youth coach/manager but poor with seniors. They may enjoy working with him, that does not mean he is the right man to work with them. England players for what it was worth loved working with McLaren. Look how that turned out?

But, MacDonald deserves a lot of praise and respect for the work he has put in for us, which has been for more than half of my life! I hope he finds a good coaching job somewhere and is a success with it.

Looking forward to us bringing in a coach who can work on technical skills with players and get them working on ball to feet etc.

Unless it's to the scum then I wish KMac every success, he has been a true Villan.

I wouldn't be surprised if PL asked him to go as he had expressed interest in the managers position, possibly PL didn't want anything to undermine his approach. Not that I'm saying he would of been anything other than professional but the new manager probably wants his own men in place.

Thanks KMac.

Folk need to stop getting hysterical,KMac did a tremendous job with the youth/Reserve Team,at First team level he was never going to be part of PL plans as he will bring in his own staff.

Its all well and good having an all-conquering Youth / Reserve team, but whats the point if they dont produce very good First Team players?

Forgive my ignorance, but who have we actually brought through from grass roots that makes McDonald's work so fantastic?

Dean Sturridge :-)

What on earth are you on about?

Mcdonald was a good reserve team manager and did well with the yoot. I wish him the best, but this is hardly a big deal. Sometimes people made him out to be some genius who was solely responsible for bringing through waves of young talent.

But this won`t stop some going off the deep end with a conspiracy theory, even though we don`t know why he has left.

Good luck to him wherever he goes.

New Small Heath manager?

That would hurt.

Why?

Look, it hurt when Barry, Milner, Downing and Young left, so to see a "Villa man" in the shape of MacDonald, a guy who was loved at the club, and had been a fantastic servant to Aston Villa for seventeen years and who obviously has an affection for the club, go to SHA, a club where no-one there is fit to lace his shoes, would hurt a lot. Also, I want him to be a success wherever he goes next, he deserves it, so to want him to go there and fail is an insult to the man. Now (calm down TRS-T) I'm not for one second saying I want SHA to succeed, but I think it would be highly unlikely for him to go there and I really, really hope he doesn't.

Whilst I respect your view, I don't agree with it. I don't think he has what it takes to be manager of any team above the lower levels (league 1/2) so I think he would fail at the blose, which would see him receive a lot of hatred, something he does not deserve.

Yes, he does care about Villa, yes its in his heart - but that does not make him right for the direction we want to go in. For years now, we have struggled to get teams playing good football, we lack composure and technical ability.. now, whilst this is not something KM is fully responsible for, it has become worse since he has had a more senior role.

Finally, whilst he is not right for us, I believe he has outgrown his own role and would do a grand job as a coach elsewhere, with a team who need the experience he can bring to the job.

I understand where you're coming from but on the other hand I think you're doing the man a gross injustice. I think most clubs would like to have someone like Kevin MacDonald working with their (especially young) players. I think it's extremely harsh to suggest that our failures in the last few years have anything to do with MacDonald, that performance on the opening day a few years ago at VP when we destroyed West Ham 3-0 was one of the the best attacking displays I've seen by a Villa side since Big Ron's days. Okay, we lost the next league game 6-0 at Newcastle which ultimately was the end of his senior management career at Villa, but to associate him with the dross served up by McLeish and to a lesser extent Houllier is extremely harsh and unfair.