Kevin MacDonald to leave Villa

wedge

OS

Kevin MacDonald has decided to bring to an end his long association with Aston Villa Football Club.

The former double-winning Liverpool midfield player became synonymous with the success of Villa's academy and reserves.

Since his arrival at Villa in 1995, he has overseen the development of such players as Gareth Barry, Gabby Agbonlahor, Marc Albrighton, Ciaran Clark, Barry Bannan, Andreas Weimann, Craig Gardner, Gary Gardner, Darius Vassell, Steven Davis, Liam Ridgewell, Thomas Hitzlsperger, Lee Hendrie, Jlloyd Samuel and Gary Cahill, to name a few.

As manager of Villa reserves, he secured a Premier Reserve League North title in 2003-04, and four Reserve League South titles in five years from the 2007-08 season and a national play-off triumph in 2008-09.

At the beginning of the 2010-11 season he stepped into the breach as caretaker manager of Villa before assuming a first-team coaching role alongside reserve team duties last season.

Chief Executive Paul Faulkner said: "As a club, we are immensely grateful for the contribution Kevin has made in more than 17 years at Villa.

"He has been an integral part of the success we have enjoyed at academy and reserve team level and, in assuming his caretaker responsibilities at the beginning of the 2010-11 season, he cemented his position as a man who will always command respect at this club.

"The whole of Aston Villa Football Club will wish Kevin well."

Kevin said: "I've had an incredible 17 years at Aston Villa, one of the biggest clubs in the country, and wish to thank all the staff and players I have worked with during my time at the club.

"I wish Aston Villa every success in the future."

:(

Sad to hear, but if it's right for Lambert and the club now, then so be it. Thank you KMac, you have been a great and loyal servant to the club. Wish you well in the future, hope you get a managers job somewhere!

Jack Grealish is upset about this;

Jack Grealish ‏@JackGrealish1

What ?!?! Kev mcdonald leaving? So so upset n annoyed after hearing that! Definatly one of the greatest managers ive played under...

Jack Grealish ‏@JackGrealish1

...And would love to play under him again, wish him all the best where ever he goes!! Upset n annoyed !!

I really hope he gets a managers job soon.

This is the staff line up according to OS

Manager - Paul Lambert

Assistant Manager - TBA

First Team Coach - Gordon Cowans

First Team Goalkeeping Coach - Terry Gennoe

Head of Scouting - Paul Montgomery

Club Doctor - Dr Ian McGuinness

Physiotherapist - Alan Smith

Reserve Manager - TBA

Youth Team Manager - Tony McAndrew

Football Academy Director - Bryan Jones

Assistant Academy Director - Steve Burns

You would of thought he would go back to being reserve manager as we have not had one since he went up to the first team.

Good for him to want to take a step up, can't say he doesn't deserve it after his years of service. Sucks for us, but I've faith in Lambert and the higher ups to get a decent replacement.

Good grief, it feels nice to type that last bit.

Getting rid of Paul Montgomery should have been priority 1 Mr Lambert

Not someone who has given his all to Villa for 17 years and been a wave of success with the kids

Crazy decision