Ended: Jay Rodriguez signed for Southampton

Villan4Life

7M, No way.. We need defenders..

We need more than just defenders. Richard has alluded to there being money to spend, so I don't think the signing of a striker is in lieu of signing other players.

Don't know enough about Rodriguez to comment on whether or not he's £7m quid's worth, but if PL thinks he is then that's ok with me.

£7m, i'm not sure we should be spending that amount of money on an unproven player.

this. we spent the same on delph and are still waiting on a return from him. a couple of million sure, but id rather spend £7million on signing huth, who would IMO sort out our defence.

Wouldn't even spend 700k on him. Never rated him, and if Soton are willing to waste the thick end of 7million on him then it's up to them.

Reminds me of the Ashley Young link all those years ago. That turned out pretty ok didn't it?

This kid is going to be a very good striker.Quick, good feet, cool finisher.

Granted at 21 can go either way, but for me we should be buying youngsters who might be top quality, some you win with, some you lose.Delf was up there on loan a couple of seasons ago, maybe use him as a part exchange, and i'll think we will get the better deal.

If the £7m was built upon say £4m up front with performance related clauses then I'd be up for it. I think he has a spark about him that would make it a gamble worth taking. I'm pretty sure Lambert will have watched a lot of him so if he did go for him then it would be a pretty safe bet.

We have a new manager. If he wants him and has the funds then he should go and get him

Of course we need midfield and defensive signings too. I don't see what this has to do with either of those being sorted too

Our strike force minus Bent is laughable. Of course we need a new striker. If not two.

We're down to Bent and possibly Weimann if (and it's still a big if) he comes to fruition. Heskey's gone. Delfouneso has just never kicked on as hoped, and Gabby ... well, he's Gabby. Looks a world beater for 5 minutes then like a carthorse for 85

if we're going to pay 7m and substantial wages for him, in my humble opinion, he needs to be a nailed on starter next season. if he's one with potential that we need to nurture, we have plenty of those already...

don't know the lad and never seen him play, but not sure how he's going to get into the starting line up next season, and if he's not, then i don't think we need another young striker with potential at the moment...

I think theres some legs to this link. Lambert wanted to sign him at Noreich ut they couldn't afford him. We can. I doubt Southampton will be splashing that sort of money in the first season up.

If Lambert wants him, I trust his judgment.