Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

latest twitter bits seem to think there'll be a clause to prevent Lambert poaching Norwich players for the 1st 12 months.

Seems the deal for Holt won't happen!!!

may be a blessing. I expect norwich would demand stupid money or average players seeing as we've probably just nicked their manager.

I can't see Lerner sanctioning such a signing. £7m on a 31yo with no resale value. Surely there are younger options out there.

Lerner strikes me as someone who, upon handing over managerial power, would allow the signing of someone like Holt, as long as it fits the budget...He probably doesn't even know who Holt is...

latest twitter bits seem to think there'll be a clause to prevent Lambert poaching Norwich players for the 1st 12 months.

Not sure whether that's because Liverpool and Swansea have just had the same agreement and chinese whispers means that has wormed it's way into our rumours.

Holt has handed in a transfer request, so he'll be going somewhere. I don't know why Norwich would stop us signing a player they're going to have to lose anyway, if anything they can milk us for a bit more money as Lambert will really want him. 7m to us, 5m to most other clubs.

He is the kind of shit signing O'Neill would have made. I really hope we look a bit further afield than 30-something year old players from his old club
Where as I just hope that we back the manager's judgement in the players he knows can improve us. In fact strike that, I know his judgement will be backed.

Not that I am saying welcome grant by the way!

I would hope that we don't sign Holt. He is a fine player, but his age and price, and most likely wages don't equal "value for money".

I am sure PL was delighted by his performance last season, but what is the point of moving to a bigger club to just purchase the players you had at the smaller club? He should have a lot more options, options which he didn't at Norwich. Would he have chosen Holt if he had other options?

As someone else mentioned, if he got Holt to score 17, imagine how many he can get Bent to score, Bent being one of those better options than he had at Norwich.

He is the kind of shit signing O'Neill would have made.
Oh, yeh, to help get us into those shit 6th places we used to get to, rather than the far superior 9th and 15th positions (with accompanying relegation struggle) we got to once we had got rid of that shit O'Neill. :P

Is there any substance to this Holt to Villa business? Smells like lazy journalism to me.

Me as well. It is more than likely total bollocks, they were going to link players from Norwich with us as soon as we went for Lambert might as well start with the guy asking for a move.

no substance , But pretty sound logic . Holts agent wouldn't be doing his job if he's not on the phone to Lambert before the ink on the contract has dried. , weather Lambert thinks he will improve us or not is his shout. and he's better placed to make that call then anyone else so I'll happily trust his decision.

As would I but I still don't think there is anything in this link personally.

We have Bent who is a better goal scorer than Holt, what we need is someone to create goals for him like Beardsley did for Cole at Newcastle.

Unless Bent is to be sold but even then I'm not sure Holt would be the replacement.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/paul-lambert-wants-grant-holt-859508

The Holt End? Lambert will fight to bring Norwich ace to Villa

Canaries boss' 'transfer fee' has been settled - but now he wants to take their captain and star striker with him to the second city

Paul Lambert is ready for another bitter battle with Norwich as he prepares a £3million bid for Grant Holt.

The Scot is set to be named Aston Villa’s new boss on Saturday, after compensation was finally thrashed out with the Canaries on Friday night.

The 42-year-old will sign a three-year deal, then will further infuriate his old club by making a move for wantaway forward Holt.

The big striker re-Twitter-ated his intention to quit Carrow Road on Friday, and insisted he will not sign a new deal after running out of patience with the club’s transfer policy.

He wrote: “Just to stop the rumour mill again. I have expressed to the board and the CEO that I want to leave the football club. Due to disagreements.

“I have loved my 3 years at the club and it saddens me to write this but want you to hear it from me first.”

Holt scored 17 goals for Norwich last season and is seen as an ideal replacement for Emile Heskey, who quit Villa Park last month after his contract expired.

The 31-year-old has two years to run on his £15,000-a-week contract and had a transfer request recently rejected by the Canaries’ board.

Norwich are now determined to drive a hard bargain with Lambert by demanding £3m for their leading scorer from last season.

Grant my wish: Lambert's first act as Villa boss will annoy Norwich even further

Matthew Lewis

Lambert is already drawing up a short-list of transfer targets and will be officially unveiled on Wednesday.

Scotland midfielder Barry Bannan is backing Lambert to revive Villa after compatriot Alex McLeish’s disastrous reign.

He said: “Last season wasn’t the best for a club as big as us.

“We should have been way higher up the league and I think they see Lambert as an up-and-coming manager that is doing really well, so it is going to be a massive lift for everyone – the fans and the players as well.

“It is a fresh start for everybody again and in pre-season everyone is hopefully going to have a chance to prove their worth to the club.

“He has done very well with Norwich and the clubs he was at before then. He has a good record up until now so, if it is Lambert, he can hopefully be just as successful with us, too.”