Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

Lambert on his way to Aston Villa and top scorer Holt is set to follow him from Norwich

By NEIL MOXLEY and JOHN EDWARDS

Paul Lambert has quit Norwich City and is expected to be confirmed as Aston Villa’s new manager in the next 24 hours.

And that may not be the end of the bad news for the Norfolk club as top scorer Grant Holt is expected to follow him to Villa Park later this month.

Lambert will make the striker his No 1 priority when he turns up at Villa Park next week, utilising cash that was ring-fenced by American owner Randy Lerner for squad strengthening this summer...

Holt shocked Carrow Road by submitting a transfer request two weeks ago to win himself an improved contract after slipping down the club’s pay scale.

And the 31-year-old, who scored 17 goals last season, has been earmarked as the perfect foil by Lambert for England striker Darren Bent as the new manager attempts to meet Lerner’s brief and breathe fresh life into the club who sacked Alex McLeish last month.

Trading places: Grant Holt scored against Villa as Norwich won 2-0 on the last day of the season

clicky

With Paul Lambert seemingly on his way to Villa Park, the papers are saying he'll be bringing Holt along with him...

I know Holt scored a decent amount of goals for them, but does he have the quality we need to push on...should we be targeting a higher calibre striker?

You have been a member of VT for some considerable time, you know how to start this type of topic, quoting and linking to the original source, next time I have to spend time sorting it out, I'll just delete the topic

The max I'd pay is 7m for Holt. I know he had a great season but if we are going to be paying big money for him, we might as well try to land Dempsey. I hope we can get him for 3-5m but I highly doubt that.

7 million for a 31 year old??

We need a younger player with similar attributes. If we have 20 to spend.. to buy 6-7 players.... we cant blow 1/3 of it on a 31 year old striker with maybe 1-2 years left in him. 2-3 million tops.. if not move on.

If he is about 3-4 million yes! If its more a big no no from me.

I guess he could a great foil for Bent, he worked extremly hard in the games I watched Norwich last season.

7 million for a 31 year old??

We need a younger player with similar attributes. If we have 20 to spend.. to buy 6-7 players.... we cant blow 1/3 of it on a 31 year old striker with maybe 1-2 years left in him. 2-3 million tops.. if not move on.

I wouldn't pay that but I can see Lambert paying it. He scored quite a few goals this season so surely he won't be cheap despite his transfer request. Norwich is angry we are talking their manager so I doubt they'll wanna lose their best player.

£3million maximum, 2 year contract maximum, and £25.000 wage maximum, otherwise it's a non starter for me.

I honestly don't wan't him at Villa as it would partly confirm my fears of (Lam)Bert having the same transfer ideology as MON

I'd have him at Villa but wouldn't pay no more than £3-4M tops, a direct replacement for Heskey with a few years left and someone that has scored goals through out his career no matter where he's played, and a much better job than Heskey he would do as well.....

I wouldn't really have a problem with this, as long as we didn't pay silly money. Anything over 4 million is a no for me. He's much better than Heskey and his wages would be a hell of a lot less than what we were paying Heskey too! He's only on about 10k at Norwich, he could double his money here and he'd still be on a lot less than some of the idiots that I want rid of! I could see him working well with Bent. He's good in the air, can finish and he's a bit of a battering ram. He could do all the dirty work for our Darren! Lambert has already proven that he can get the best out of Holt as well. As I say, I wouldn't really have a problem with this, depending on the fee.

Waste of a limited transfer budget. we all know we need another full back and two centre halves as a priority. we also need to strenghten midfield as petrov wont play and delph and bannan are hopeless. i also think we need another winger as nzogbia was dreadful and allbrighton is never going to be that good.

Signing holt the 31 year old one hit wonder would not be a great start. he will be another cascarino.

I can't see RL sanctioning silly money for a 31 yr old after getting his fingers burnt by MON, 3-4 million and I can see it happening.

The max I'd pay is 7m for Holt. I know he had a great season but if we are going to be paying big money for him, we might as well try to land Dempsey. I hope we can get him for 3-5m but I highly doubt that.

Dempsey's got his sights set on Champions League football. In all honesty, I wouldn't bet on him being able to reach that goal any more quickly with us than with Fulham, and I don't think either club are headed there anytime soon. Not to mention that if we were to bring Dempsey on, that would render Ireland effectively redundant, not that I would mind seeing the back of him. Ireland may have a fair bit of talent, but he is and will always be a total tool.

The thought of signing Holt doesn't exactly send me into a frenzy of excitement, but if we could sign him for a reasonable fee, we could count on him chipping in with some of the scrappy, opportunistic goals we couldn't buy last season.

I like Holt (somewhat follow Shrewsbury as local team & he was great for them) but I don't think he'd be a good signing. He's agitating for a move because after a career in the lower league he's finally got a chance for a few years of Premier League wages and his stock will never be higher. Norwich will want far more than he's worth and Holt will be after longer contract than we should consider giving player of his age.

I think we'd be able to get much better value replacement for Heskey elsewhere and it's not first priority position. In fact, Weimann could easily be better than Holt given the time on the pitch, it'd be a shame if we held back his development to eke out a couple of years from (with all due respect) a lower-league journeyman.

I think it'd be a good signing for say 3 mill. He's nothing like heskey, he scores goals.

The real reason though is that this is an experienced guy who's worked his way up. He's Lamberts guy and would help sort out the spirit in the dressing room. If he was signed and helped with that it'd be worth it.

By all accounts the team spirit at norwich was great last year- we haven't had that in ages.