Euro 2012: Group D (Eng, Fra, Ukr, Swe)

TrentVilla

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing England we'll beat France everyone will be buzzing then we'll get turned over by Sweden and Ukraine.

Meh, highly unlikely. I find losing to France and drawing with the Swedes and the Ukrainians more in line with what we've come to expect.

For a bit of nostalgia and contemplation about what could have been - England in 2001/2002 were a terrific team, outplaying Argentina and (almost) matching Brazil. Could have won the WC that year, imho.

It's a bit sad now that you have to rely purely on "organisation" and "discipline" (according to Hodgson, and I can't disagree) to progress through Euro 2012, 10 years ago England could have, on a good day, played any side in world football off the park.

I still think the best England team of recent times in terms of players was for the 2006 world cup. That team was just so strong.

Robinson, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, Beckham, Lampard, J Cole, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney

England's Euro 2000 squad. I think that is probably the strongest squad we have taken to a tournament in the Premier League era, and somehow they managed to get knocked out in the group stages. Dunno what it says about how Keegan set the team up, but snatching defeat from the jaws of victory twice in three games (vs Portugal and Romania) was unforgivable.

Come on England!

My expectations are pretty low this year. I'd like to see Oxlade start ahead of Downing but can't see it happening. I hope there's not a riot up town like after we last played France in an opener.

I think France will win comfortably, sadly. If they score early then I think we are ****. If we can score first or hold them to 0-0 for an hour or so then we might be able to nick it.

Two teams with similar capability on paper. So in that sense it very much depends how much they fancy it on the day. France seem to be on the crest of a wave at the moment though (as much as I dislike that) so if I was betting it would be on France.

You never know though. All the negativity surrounding England's preparations might have given the squad a steel that means they've something to prove. Italy play best under a cloud. Maybe England will too. Stranger things have happened.

I can actually see England boring their way to the quarter finals - at least.

Our front pairing of Young and Welbeck actually scares me, I think we'll heavily rely on set pieces and forward runs from Gerrard.

Hodgson will play: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Parker, Gerrard, Downing, Young and Welbeck whereas I would prefer to see Walcott start in place of Downing then put Walcott on the right and Milner on the left. I think we will lose unfortunately but you never know.

Â