Euro 2012: Group A (Pol, Rus, Cze, Gre)

TrentVilla

OT Demitri, but just out of curiosity, are you Greek by nationality, or British but ethnic Greek, or both?

i was born in uk, my grandfather was from greece, parents are from cyprus. confusing i know.

i support greece, cyprus and england. hopefully it will never come down to me having to choose one in a game!

:suspect: Hmm quite odd, I've never heard of anyone supporting the country their grandparents were born in. I don't support the China football team, for instance.

Then again, it shouldn't come to me as too much of a surprise since I don't even consider myself a supporter of my own country's football team :|

Russia are an odd side too. For a country of 140 million people (and approaching 300m people when they were the USSR) you would expect them to have had more success down the years. They always kick ass at the Olympics so they are a sporty bunch.

China

Not really a football country though, is it?

Yes, but aren't we debating whether Russia's no.1 sport is football as well?

Basically, any accusation levelled at Russia, or the USA for that matter, for somehow not doing as well as they should in football (given their population) applies to China as well, in fact even more given their gargantuan population size.

:suspect: Hmm quite odd, I've never heard of anyone supporting the country their grandparents were born in.
You obviously haven't met some of the many plastic Paddies we get over here.

Is Ice Hockey that big a deal though? It's a bit like Rugby Union where only a handful of countries take it seriously and call it a global sport isnt it? According to the International Ice Hockey Federation Russia have about 60,000 registered Ice Hockey players. (sauce) which is an absolutely tiny percentage (less than 0.05%) of their population. I dont know how many people play for fun and dont get registered or how many attend ice hockey games, or what kind of audiences those games get on TV, but I find it difficult to accept that Ice Hockey is taking millions of people away from football pitches in Russia. I might be horribly wrong of course, but the numbers dont really add up.

If I lived in Russia running around in shorts and T-shirt on a frozen field wouldn't be very high on my agenda.

I still think the two countries should agree to make the game a bit more interesting. If Greece win then their debt gets wiped out. If Germany win they get the island of Corfu.

:lol: legov thats hope not! the only way we are going to win is by jammy penalties

:suspect:

What I meant was, Germany will of course batter Greece, but that doesn't mean they will score.

See 2004.

Â