Regional work in Australia

juanpabloingram

I am currently living in Melbourne on a working holiday visa basis. I am soon looking to complete my 3 months regional work to get my 2nd year visa, does anyone have any experiences (good and bad) and even better still contacts.

Suspect you'll struggle at this time of year. Best time to do it is summer, when you can head down the surf coast in tourist season.

If you have to do it now, I'd suggest maybe trying the ski resorts? We're just coming into the busy period for those guys, and I've been told they're often looking for staff (cos most Aussies can't handle the cold for long...)

Unfortunately I don't believe ski resort work is allowed to get 2nd year visa signed off.

Bummer. Only other suggestion that springs to mind is Wonthaggi down in Gippsland. Supposed to be thriving down there due to the construction of the big desalination plant.

When I was over there I worked in a call-centre in Sydney selling Westpac credit cards, it was one of the worst two weeks of my life before I jacked it in and spent the rest of my time on Bondi beach. I doubt that would count for getting signed off if ski work doesn't. I'd suggest asking people who run hostels, they'd probably give the best advice.

Unfortunately I don't believe ski resort work is allowed to get 2nd year visa signed off.

Bummer. Only other suggestion that springs to mind is Wonthaggi down in Gippsland. Supposed to be thriving down there due to the construction of the big desalination plant.

Wonthaggi.

Ugh.

The Anus of Victoria.

Wonthaggi.

Ugh.

The Anus of Victoria.

I can only presume that you haven't been to Geelong?

Â