Speculation: Gareth Southgate (The FA)

AVFC-Tamworth

What do people think??

Aston Villa chief lines up Gareth Southgate and Kevin MacDonald as next manager team

May 27 2012 By Dave Kidd

GARETH SOUTHGATE and Kevin MacDonald are tipped to form an unlikely managerial team at Aston Villa.

The duo are serious candidates to replace axed Alex McLeish, with former Villa skipper Southgate - currently the FA's head of elite development - enjoying an excellent relationship with popular Villa coach MacDonald.

First choice Roberto Martinez is not likely to take the post, even if he misses out on the Liverpool job he was interviewed for this week.

Paul Lambert is another contender but he's increasingly reluctant to leave Norwich after Villa owner Randy Lerner discussed the position with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Lambert believed he and Martinez were the only two names in the frame i h f and it is now by no means certain he would accept the Villa job.

Southgate has yet to agree a role as the FA's new technical director and although his one previous managerial position saw him suffer relegation at Middlesbrough, he was a hero in his playing days at Villa.

The 41-year-old (right) currently combines his elite development role with work as an ITV pundit and has been earmarked for the new technical director's job which would see him working at the new National Football Centre at Burton. Villa would like MacDonald, a former caretaker boss who has helped develop many of the club's younger players as reserve team chief and first-team coach, to have a senior role in the next regime.

MacDonald is popular with the players and enjoyed a spell in temporary charge before Gerard Houllier's appointment in 2010.

But the Scot would prefer a No.2 role rather than taking the top job himself.

Solskjaer snubbed Villa last weekend to stay at Norwegian club Molde, just as Martinez turned them down to remain at Wigan last summer. Villa still want Martinez but their patience is fast running out, as the Spaniard waits to hear whether he will be offered the Liverpool job.

Lambert was favourite to succeed McLeish and Norwich players were convinced he was set to leave after their final game of the season, when they ironically defeated Villa, who sacked McLeish the following day.

Outsider

The Canaries boss was unhappy about a squeeze on finances at Carrow Road, which led to striker Grant Holt handing in a transfer request last week.

But that situation looks like being resolved with a new deal for Holt, the club's top scorer last term.

Former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez remains keen on the Villa job and has been heavily backed by punters in recent days.

Yet Villa are seriously considering Southgate, a rank outsider with the bookies, to take over at the club he played for between 1995 and 2001.

clicky

He ruled himself out the other day. It seemed like an odd thing to say at the time given that him ruling himself out of the job could be perceived in the same way as me ruling myself out of the race to be the president of the USA. I guess he might have heard the press were going to run with this story and had decided he couldnt be **** with answering the questions. Southgate, great player as he was, pissed off a lot of Villa fans with the way he left the club and has failed spectacularly as a manager meaning his stock really is rather low. He cant win here, and as he landed on his feet with a very cushy job at ITV this story is an utter non starter.

I think the Rev would make a rather fine President of the USA, and am more upset he's ruled himself out........

As for Southgate... meh.. but, I see Simon Grayson has just continued the good work at Huddersfield Town.. He's young, ambitious, cheap...

What he's done to merit the Villa job?

Getting relegated with Middlesbrough is supposed to be a good achievement?

Well that didn't stop Lerner from appointing a manager who's record reeked of it last summer so who knows this time what the criteria is? Certainly not Faulkner lol

Â