Does Villa Attract Asian Fans?

TRS-T

Pity that when people from UK talk about Asians it almost specifically refers to South Asians so it may be a little hard for me to see where you're coming from. But Asians as in East and Southeast Asians tend to have a ingrained mentality of being afraid to lose or not be the best. In other words they kinda subscribe to Everton's motto, which adds another reason for them to gravitate towards only the best clubs.

The social aspect where they choose a club to go with the crowd where they can easily and simply fit in also plays a part, as opposed to them trying to be special and ending up somewhat alienating themselves from the rest and the "what's in" in this respect.

A lot of these immigrants had no history of watching spectator sport in India/pakistan. Sure they loved cricket but they wouldn't go and watch it - especially not in the rural areas. Therefore when this first generation had kids they weren't born in to sport attending families. Therefore those that did like football were immediately attracted to those players or teams that were the most exciting or had the best players. They had absolutely zero links or affinity to the club that was on their doorstep.
I've told this story before, but it's relevant enough to repeat here.

A few years ago I was on my way to a home game. Parked in the Ruskin Social Club and was walking down Bevington Road towards the ground.

There were a couple of young Asian lads playing football in the street and one of them asked me who was playing that day. I told them, but I said: "The ground's right on your doorstep - I thought you'd know, or be going to the match in fact. Aren't you Villa fans?"

"No"

"Who do you support then?"

"MAN U...."

I was gobsmacked, and walked away shaking my head.

While the original article was focused more on the English community, I see similarities here. As an Indian/Australian, when I look at any football fans in the Asian community here, I mainly see ManU and Liverpool supporters.

As people have already mentioned, success breeds popularity. To gain more followers, regardless of their ethnic background, I think if you play an attractive game, or win trophies, you gain supporters. Even if people jump on the bandwagon, it still equates to support and merchandising opportunities (i.e. shirt sales, etc).

I'm hoping that both Holman and Herd wearing the Claret and Blue, can lift the awareness of Villa here. Possibly somebody from an Asian background, would do the same for Villa in the Asian markets.

I only started following Villa back in '06 after choosing them as my Manager Mode team in FIFA (as ridiculous as that sounds). For my part, I'll wear my Villa top around when I visit India on holiday in June :D

I have an asian mate who lives on trinity road and he is a man u supporter, drives up the m6 every other week to watch them play. Quite rightly I take the piss out of him for this. I asked him why he doesnt support a team on his doorstep and he said as a kid villa supporters gave him a load of abuse so he ended up hating the team.

I'm a Sikh, been following the Villa for pretty much most of my life been an ST holder for about 5 seasons now and not once have i suffered any abuse racially from anyone. The problem in Birmingham is, you'll get fans who want to follow the winners, they'd rather go on about how their champions but possibly never been to a game in their life. I'd say the club do a lot in trying to get communities into Villa, such as sponsoring the local Vaisakhi tournaments, recently they were on BBC MOTD for their community work at the Sikh Gurudwara in Handsworth. I don't think the support has anything to do with Asian players not playing, it's not just in Birmingham, go down to London and you'll hear the exact same. Supporting Villa is not fashionable for them i'm afraid. Asians have a habit of following each other, so if your brother supports United, you'll follow, if your mate supports United, they'll support, it's like a chain. I'm glad i broke from that chain and supported Villa.

A pakistani mate of mine from smethwick is a liverpool supporter and I asked how he came to support them and he said when his dad arrived in this country to integrate he chose a football team to follow and the biggest team at that time was liverpool, and so he adopted them as his team, my mate supported them because his dad did. I would say 90% of my asian mates support liverpool.

I know a lot of very talented young asian lads that could play pro football but are not permitted to do so because their families would not aprove,

i know one lad in particluar who defied his parents and went to trials at villa, he didnt make it but has now been ostracised by his family and none of them will even speak to him now.

In the name of holy ****, WHY? I know there are big taboos about religion, and caste and marriage, but I had no idea that this would be an issue.

This absolute bollocks, thats probably one case. I know many players who made it to youth teams, Amrit Sidhu (Derby) Vijay Sidhu (Cov) Harpal Singh (Leeds), these are just a few guys. I can tell you about Amrit Sidhu, the guy had great ability, but you know what we lack, we lack desire to make it, we then use every reason under the son to say why we didn't, family support, racial in academies. As for Valhalla, you mentioning driving, I would worry about your own English.

I have been a member if this forum for ages. Avid reader but if you can tell from my post count I don’t post much.

Leaving aside the above comments. I can offer my personal experience. As you can tell from my screen name I am off south Asian decent. I have been a season ticket holder for about 20 years with children in toe. Around where I sit Upper Doug there are a good few Asians around me. I have noticed over this time span more and more Asians at Villa Park.

I went to my first match in 1985; I was at secondary school at the time and did not inform my parents discreetly went. In the 80's football had an unsavory image due to hooliganism. My parents would not let me go fearing for my safety. I am happy to say 25 years I have been visiting I have never experienced any issues.

Historically most football fans follow the team there parents support or a close friend. But for most Asians it’s different, our parents had no allegiance to a football team. Most of my friends support Liverpool as they were a successful team when I was a child, the newer generation support Man Utd/Chelsea again current successful team. This is now changing. My children support the team that I follow.

How to get new Asian Villa fans? Simple a successful brand.

As for why I supported the Villa? I have no idea. I choosed a local team glad it was not the great unwashed.

Right i shall post again in a few years. UTV!!

I think that more asians will come to Villa matches ( and other club ) games as well, a few have started and others will follow.I remember when there were no coloured players untill Vince Hilare played for Forest, and now look at the game.As for Asians ( meanibg Indian,Pakistan etc ) they get big crowds at Mohun Began and East Bengall.

But the more Villa can do to attract these fans ( sooner rather than later ) the better.

I know that whem J.S.Park started playing for Man U that team got very popular in Korea,also when that other Korean played for Celtic they got very popular.What about Liverpool, when that Israelie played for them ? they had supporters comming over from Israel quite regually.

I don't really understand the phenomenon of a particular player attracting support from "their" community.

I didn't take any more interest in Real Madrid when Michael Owen played for them (etc.)

In an ideal world, I'd love to see the Villa team full of Brummies (and Villa fans themselves!), but I don't give a hoot what their ethnicity is. Eleven Ian Taylor types would do for me!

Having worked in education it's my experience that Asian parents have high aspirations for their children. They expect them to excel, which may explain why Asian youth look to support teams which excel such as Man U.

Villa are currently an unpopular subject on the curriculum.

This is an interesting topic and worth talking about. Please be aware that we will be watching to see and hope that posters please stick to the topic, don't make generalisations about groups of people and recognise that we all support the same team. thanks

I work in Small Heath and most of my work friends are either Pakistani or Indian. There is about 150 of us that work there.

They all support Man Utd or Liverpool apart from two. One suports blues and one supports Villa.

The older guys tend to be Liverpool as they were the big club in the 70's and 80's, the younger ones support Man Utd. Nobody seems interested in following the Birmingham teams. I ask them why they dont follow Blues or Villa and they simply reply because they're shit.

I went to school in Kings Heath, Birmingham and my school was pretty much half white and half Asian.

This was reflected in football support.

The white lads were either Villa or Blues and the Asian lads were either Man Utd or Liverpool.

There were a couple of Asian Bluenoses but they actually went to games so I guess therein lies the key.

I went to school in Kings Heath, Birmingham and my school was pretty much half white and half Asian.

This was reflected in football support.

The white lads were either Villa or Blues and the Asian lads were either Man Utd or Liverpool.

There were a couple of Asian Bluenoses but they actually went to games so I guess therein lies the key.

yeah, the lads I work with who support blues and villa actually go to the games.

the lads that dont go to games are all Liverpool and Man Utd

Â