Shay Given vs Brad Friedel

GasGasGas

We have been pants at corners for the last two seasons so neither is solely to blame for this.

Both great keepers with differing attributes.

Friedel Mr consistent with a pretty solid all round game. Given one of the best shot stoppers I have seen, real wonder save merchant.

On their day I'm happy with either.

for me they are the same. weak at set pieces but top shotstoppers and rarely make mistakes. am sure if we swapped both time at the club around it would be similar. I dont think Given would have improved us under MON but i doubt Freidel would have improved our position under Eck

I think Given deserves a chance with a better defence in front of him whether he will get that this season is a different matter. He should see less of the ball in his half this season than last at least.

I think Given will be a lot busier than last season and concede a lot more. The defence is awful and I dont think Lambert will put the whole team behind the ball like the previous person in charge did.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it is just a temporary thing and the old Shay Given returns. The mistakes started at the end of last season, and went on through the summer in poland and now at the start of the season. I think give him 2 more games, and if there is no improvement, throw Brad junior in.

It's alright though, he only has four years left on his £50k+ a week contract.

JPA18 and myself were discussing this earlier. Another piece of atrocious business by the board. Refused to give Friedel (who was more than happy to stay) the two year deal he wanted and then in their ultimate wisdom signed Given to a mammoth 5 year contract which is looking like one of the worst value deals in the entire league.

It's alright though, he only has four years left on his £50k+ a week contract.

JPA18 and myself were discussing this earlier. Another piece of atrocious business by the board. Refused to give Friedel (who was more than happy to stay) the two year deal he wanted and then in their ultimate wisdom signed Given to a mammoth 5 year contract which is looking like one of the worst value deals in the entire league.

It's got to be MON's fault somehow.

to be fair they were just backing the manager they had appointed. unfortunately they had chosen one of the worst managers in the league, who also wasted 4 million on hutton and 10 million on nzogbia. just like with his nfl team, lerner's problem has not been (up until recently) so much not spending money. it is just that he has spent unbelievably unwisely (or chosen people who have done so on his behalf) , wasting a load of money for little end product.

as for given, all he had to do was stand still and pick the ball up for the second goal. i also cant help but wonder whether a taller and younger keeper would have got to piennar's shot. after seeing a couple of replays it wasn't as far away from given as i first thought.

He was definitely at fault for 2 of the 3 goals. The first he probably could have reached if he was taller/more agile. The second was just awful (reminded me of the euro's). The third was just coming too quickly, but it was at his near post...

Guzan in against Tranmere, Guzan to keep a clean sheet, and play the next few games.

First goal: Long way out, got to see it the whole way. Put a hand on it but should have easily had it covered. Conclusion: Given at fault.

Second goal: The less said the better. Conclusion: Given at fault.

Third goal: The defenders lost their man - but a keeper should never be beaten at their near post. Conclusion: Given perhaps could have done better.

So that's 2 of their 3 goals that are directly Given's fault. That's the winning margin. I think he has his mind on retirement and, if he repeats this form next week, should be dropped.

Â