Friendly: USA v Scotland

JamieZ

USA up 2-0 after eleven minutes. Donovan scored in the third, and ex-Villa loanee Michael Bradley with a stunning half-volley blast from outside the box. Bannan's on the pitch, but nobody in the Scotland side has done much but hack at American players as they pass by.

There's some Old Firm tension as Maurice Edu and Carlos Bocanega of Rangers have been getting into it with Scott Brown. Bocanegra just carded for hockey checking Brown into the turf after Brown takes some shots at Edu in the midfield.

SOOOO glad we didn't sign Bradley. Clearly he has been atrocious barring that amazing hit, great defensive work and great passing. McLeish and Houllier are utter morons. Reminds me of a bigger/stronger Milner.

Bannan has been pretty invisible. He made a few nice long balls but the USA midfield is shutting down scotlands mids. Scotland needs to attack the flanks if they wanna get chances or just chip it to Cameron and let him finish it.

cracking kits on the US side, had not seen those.

Bannan being Bannan, chasing people around, making no tackles, no interceptions, 1 excellent cross field pass, but everything passing him by.

Bradley looks great, Serie A has done him well. pass and move, one touch, getting into space.

Boyd looks promising. quick and strong, unafraid to get at his marker. All in all a good performance from the US.

Bannan off after fifty minutes. He had a couple tidy passes, but was largely silenced by a dominant American midfield. In the battle between up-and-coming Villa midfielder and could-have-been-should-have-been Villa midfielder, Bradley won hands down.

was quite nice, was it not? Donovan with a second. Bradley has looked excellent, and better than Delph, Bannan have ever really looked. and has really been playing like that for awhile now. Never really got the chance at Villa, during a tough time. and I am no US homer.

Go Brad! some more excellent passes from Bradley. I believe we missed a trick with him. I think he will be a typical US player overseas that comes into his own a bit later, but is excellent. again, Serie A may be the best training ground for him at this point. I think he is poised for pretty big things in the next couple of years. I predict he goes back to germany, and ends up in England within 2 seasons.

BTW, Scotland being truly embarassed here.

Go Brad! some more excellent passes from Bradley. I believe we missed a trick with him. I think he will be a typical US player overseas that comes into his own a bit later, but is excellent. again, Serie A may be the best training ground for him at this point. I think he is poised for pretty big things in the next couple of years. I predict he goes back to germany, and ends up in England within 2 seasons.

BTW, Scotland being truly embarassed here.

There's been a lot of speculation that he goes to a top Serie A team this summer. As much as I mourn him not getting a chance at Villa, I think playing in Serie A has refined his tactical sensibilities and positional sense in a way he clearly wouldn't have done had he stayed on with us. He's certainly a more complete player because of it. But I was gutted to lose him and I think we missed out big time.

Said it from the start, he was always the type of player we sorely missed in midfield. Watched him a lot for the US, and this type of performance is the norm for him. Bossing the midfield, and allowing the more creative players to flourish but also choosing when to go forward brilliantly. A replacement for Petrov if I ever saw one. McLeish thinking him and Makoun weren't the right players for us, then bringing in Jenas says it all. Smh.

Even as someone who doesn't have much respect for US football, it felt obvious to me that Bradley really could do a job for us. He fell prey to the early Ireland-syndrome where, since he wasn't pulling up trees and turning around our dire performances single handed, he was consigned to the scrapheap way too early.

Bradley is a funny one, he never had many chances here (like another player) but people were quick to call him rubbish (myself included to be fair at the time) but during the circumstance (threat of relegation etc) we needed to use players we could rely on.

That said he was still here when McLeish came in and I think he was the one that terminated his loan spell.. like someone else said I think he will be back in the prem soon probably for everton or fulham.

Shame really.

Â