Eurovision Song Contest 2012

hogso

OH the funniest moment of the night though was Mr. Lordi doing the results of the Finnish vote. He was the best looking, most beautiful.....best handsome, er.....CUTEST, most cutest yep, cutest presenter person going.

I said at the time after Lordi won it (was it '08?), we should have GWAR represent us. I still think they should.

gwar.png

Look at the state of that. Barking mad. They look like Warhammer figures :D

Sweden won because they had a catchy dance track that will be played over and over in every cheesy nightclub from Mykonos to Oslo this summer.

If the UK entered someone like Calvin Harris there would probably be a similar response in the voting.

Sweden won because they had a catchy dance track that will be played over and over in every cheesy nightclub from Mykonos to Oslo this summer.

If the UK entered someone like Calvin Harris there would probably be a similar response in the voting.

Doubt it. I think we've tried similar and failed.

I think the appeal of the Swedish song was the catchy dance track allied to a simple but clever presentation (Kate Bush stylee).

Our performance was even worse by Hump not even holding the mic near his mouth, ever.

Agreed on liking Denmark, they deserved more. I didn't watch the voting much though, it's tedious and once you've seen about 8 countries vote you know who the top 3 will be.

Croatia gave Serbia douze points, they were at war in effect less than 20 years ago!

There is a significant amount of ethnic Serbs living in Croatia, most of which have dual citizenships with a primary national allegiance to Serbia. The Bosniaks suffered worst of all in that war but as BiH is roughly 1/3 ethnically Serbian (Republika Srpska is 49 per cent of BiH's area), Serbia will always get a lot of points from BiH.

As my Bosniak missus would tell you, they're not voting for their neighbours they're essentially giving points to themselves.

Croatia gave Serbia douze points, they were at war in effect less than 20 years ago!

There is a significant amount of ethnic Serbs living in Croatia, most of which have dual citizenships with a primary national allegiance to Serbia. The Bosniaks suffered worst of all in that war but as BiH is roughly 1/3 ethnically Serbian (Republika Srpska is 49 per cent of BiH's area), Serbia will always get a lot of points from BiH.

As my Bosniak missus would tell you, they're not voting for their neighbours they're essentially giving points to themselves.

I actually knew that this accounts for an awful lot of the... odd/political... voting, but I didn't want it getting in the way of a rant ;).

It's why the Germans always give a boatload of points to the Turks - doesn't make sense at first but then you consider theres a massive Turkish community in Deutschland and well... there you have it. Voting for home/culture.

Of course the mess that the Eastern Bloc was/is/will forever be in with regards 'displaced' communities and cross border allegiances exacerbates that and so on makes the whole thing slightly more galling than it would be otherwise :D

An exercise in 'things we already knew'. In number form.

Some stats to back up the farce of the voting:

A study of voting patterns concluded some countries recieve 12 and up to 50 points from neighboring countries regardless of the quality of their acts, amounting to 80 and up to 100% of their total points from neighboring countries alone

32 out of 42 (~75%) of participating countries awarded the highest 12 points to a neighboring country

13 of the 42 countries (~25%) awarded 12 points to the same neighboring country for the second time in a row or more

50% of countries that awarded 12 points to the winning song by Sweden, gave the next highest mark - 10 points, to a neighboring country

Balkan countries were the worst 'offenders' of political voting in 2012, with 7 countries awarding 2 or 3 of the three highest marks to two or three neighboring countries. These countries were Serbia, FYR Macedonia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Albania, Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro. The findings concluded 65% of voting patterns by participating countries for the three top spots were influenced by block voting

Now.....back to getting a life

Yes, the mighty All Ireland & International sheep shearing and wool handling championships. The recession means they've had to resort to hiring Jedward as special guests. Morto.

Â