Eurovision Song Contest 2012

hogso

Why did sweden have a woman from Essex represent them for the results ??

And a fat one at that :(

So, who was she Tegis? Somebody famous in Sweden?

Sarah Dawn Finer. Pretty famous here yes, has been in a few qualifiers for the Eurovision and some musicals.

Sarah Dawn Finer. Pretty famous here yes, has been in a few qualifiers for the Eurovision and some musicals.

Presumably British - but we've never heard of her.

Does she have a funny accent when speaking Swedish?

Presumably British - but we've never heard of her.

Does she have a funny accent when speaking Swedish?

Nope, she was born here.

Britannia in Wollaston is doing a Eurovision night, 15quid ticket gets you a drink/shot for each entrant. My prediction is that it's going to be a mess.

I have no idea who won and I watched the whole thing, Brittannia night was a success.

:puke: I'm trying my best not to.

Britannia in Wollaston is doing a Eurovision night, 15quid ticket gets you a drink/shot for each entrant. My prediction is that it's going to be a mess.

I have no idea who won and I watched the whole thing, Brittannia night was a success.

It was a wonderful night. My favourites were Ukraine (which did shit) and Turkey (which did OK).

Lines open, vote done. Russian grannies. Had to be.

Man, you actually voted? That's dedication. We did scorecards but didn't go that far :lol:

Comedy gold:

Did Engelbert fall foul of 'political' voting in Eurovision 2012?

Monday, May 28, 2012

Leicester Mercury

People have paid tribute to Engelbert Humperdinck's performance at the Eurovision Song Contest after many believed he was the victim of political voting.

The veteran singer, from Great Glen, who opened the show with ballad Love Will Set You Free, scored just 12 points in the voting – finishing last-but-one – compared with Swedish winner Loreen's 372 points.

Engelbert fan and Leicester City legend Alan Birchenall said the contest was a "stitch-up".

He said: "It's always been this way with the Eurovision Song Contest and we have to think about whether it's worth entering it. It's a stitch-up because countries vote for their friends and they just don't like us Brits. It's a bit of a clique.

"Enge is big enough to not let it worry him too much."

The UK entry in the contest, held in Baku, Azerbaijan, received points from Estonia, Latvia, Belgium and Ireland. The other 37 voting countries failed to give it any.

Leicester city mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said he was also disappointed with the political voting going on.

He said: "The politics of Europe – which countries are friendly with which others – has a lot more to do with it than the quality of the songs. I thought Engelbert performed very well and did us proud."

Peter and Pat Hockenhull, who own the Old Greyhound, in Great Glen, where Engelbert drinks sometimes, held a party on Saturday night and said everyone thought the voting was unfair.

Peter said: "The consensus was it definitely was a political vote.

"He put on an excellent performance and there was euphoria here when he was on stage and a tremendous amount of disappointment when the voting was happening."

Shelley Jones, 57, who was at the party with her husband and daughter, said the disappointment did not ruin the night.

She said: "I'm gutted he didn't get more points, but it's all political.

"We had a great night and when Engelbert came on stage we were all on our feet, cheering and waving our hands around and we sang along. I thought the performance was brilliant."

At another Eurovision party, in Quorn, Engelbert's younger sister, Patricia Loseby, watched the contest with friends.

She said: "We were disappointed, but he did us proud.

"I love the song and I think it should have done better, but it was a little bit political in the voting. He will be disappointed but I think he did well for the country."

Her daughter, Jacqui Holford, was sure her uncle would be able to handle the upset.

She said: "He really wanted to bring it home for his country and it was an amazing performance – some of the acts were diabolical and he had a million times more talent than anyone else – but the voting was very predictable. They weren't voting for the songs.

"In our eyes, my uncle is always a winner and he's been a star for long enough to know how to deal with the ups and downs and handle it all with dignity and class."

Enge, 76, said: "I've had many highs in my career and Eurovision has been a wonderful experience.

"I want to thank everybody, especially my fans around the world for their words of support.

"I did the best for my country, the rest was out of my hands.''

Leicester Mercury

:crylaugh:

It was just rubbish. It's nothing to do with political voting, it was a shit perfomance and the song was just so old fashioned there was no way the majority of the watching European audience wouldve liked it. Take last year for instance, a much better song for the European audience nearly made the top ten (11th, 100 points)

No, no, no it was a political conspiracy. Englebert's performance was magnificent.

How can you argue with experts in the field like Engelbert fan and Leicester City legend Alan Birchenall, Leicester city mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, Peter and Pat Hockenhull, who own the Old Greyhound, in Great Glen, where Engelbert drinks sometimes, Shelley Jones, 57, who was at the party with her husband and daughter and Engelbert's younger sister, Patricia Loseby ?

Â