Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

Queens Park Rangers target new goalkeeper with Shay Given and Robert Green top of their list

On the move? Aston Villa's Shay Given could spark a goalkeepers' merry-go-round

Picture: ACTION IMAGES

By Jason Burt, Senior Football WriterLast Updated: 9:36PM BST 21/05/2012

Queens Park Rangers are hoping to exploit the uncertainty at Aston Villa by signing goalkeeper Shay Given. If they fail they will turn to West Ham United’s Robert Green, who is out of contract next month.

If Green leaves then West Ham, who secured an immediate return to the Premier League with Saturday’s play-off victory over Blackpool, are likely to move for either Blackburn Rovers’ Paul Robinson or Bolton’s Jussi Jaaskelainen, who have both previously worked with manager Sam Allardyce.

Sunderland are also believed to be interested in Green, who is expected to leave Upton Park but will hold fresh talks with the club over a new deal.

QPR manager Mark Hughes has identified Given as one of his key targets this summer with the likelihood being that Paddy Kenny, his current first-choice goalkeeper, will leave to be reunited at Leeds United with former manager Neil Warnock.

The bond between Hughes and Given is also strong with the manager having signed the 36-year-old Republic of Ireland international for Manchester City from Newcastle United in early 2009. Given was one of several City players angered by Hughes’ sacking later that year.

QPR, having narrowly avoided relegation this month, are to undergo a huge rebuilding of the first-team squad this summer. Captain Joey Barton, who faces a lengthy ban for his behaviour in the final Premier League match of the season when he was sent off against City, is likely to be asked to leave the club.

Given signed a five-year contract at Villa, for a fee of £3.5 million, only last summer but with the club uncertain as to who will be the manager next season after a hugely disappointing campaign and with doubts over the ambitions of owner Randy Lerner, QPR are considering making an offer.

Villa are understood to have a four-strong short-list to succeed Alex McLeish, who was sacked after the club only narrowly avoided relegation. It is headed by Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, the coach of Norwegian club Molde, Norwich City’s Paul Lambert, Wigan Athletic’s Roberto Martinez and Villa reserve team coach Kevin MacDonald, who was interviewed last week.

However, there are deep concerns over the scale of investment planned this summer by Lerner while QPR are pushing ahead with a transfer policy to try to establish themselves in the Premier League and are promising Hughes the funds to compete.

A permanent deal for on-loan midfielder Samba Diakaé is being discussed with new deals having been agreed with Kieron Dyer, who has agreed a one-year extension, Jamie Mackie, Clint Hill, Akos Buzsaky and reserve goalkeeper Radek Cerny. QPR have also released eight out-of-contract players: Patrick Agyemang, Gary Borrowdale, Lee Cook, Danny Gabbidon, Fitz Hall, Peter Ramage, Danny Shittu and Rowan Vine.

West Ham are also drawing up their plans for the Premier League and would be interested in re-signing former midfielder Joe Cole — but only if Liverpool hugely subsidise his wages, of at least £90,000 a week, as they have done at Lille. Cole is also attracting interest from big-spending Paris St-Germain.

Link

Could see this coming off, unfortunately.

Tottingham could do with a top class keeper too.

Given, Ireland and N'Zogbia could all be vulnerable this summer, all on 60k+ a week and it might be felt that we could get far more room for manoeuvre with those three alone off the books.

Whilst the latter two probably haven't been worth the financial commitment made during their time with us, Given has.

I'd sell him if the money was right. The old criticism that Shay Given is a shot stopper extraordinaire who's all round game is still lacking is still true as far as I am concerned. He is a very good goalkeeper, dont get me wrong but I think his unwillingness to come off of his line is one of the reasons why we conceded so many goals from corners this year.

Tbh, I'd sell given Ireland and Zog and allow the new manager to reinvest
Cmon CI you can't be serious. It's hard enough to attract players to Villa when you do have some talent in the squad. These are three of our four most talented players. Do you think DB will want to stick around after watching this lot walk out the door?

Personally I'd keep Shay Given, he's a great keeper

For me, Ireland and Zog are overrated and temperamental.

McLeish's greatest success was getting Ireland to put some effort in

The guy has been a disgrace

As for NZogbia, he really has been one lazy clearing in the woods since arriving

Can he do it for another manager, maybe ?

Personally I'd keep Shay Given, he's a great keeper

For me, Ireland and Zog are overrated and temperamental.

McLeish's greatest success was getting Ireland to put some effort in

The guy has been a disgrace

As for NZogbia, he really has been one lazy clearing in the woods since arriving

Can he do it for another manager, maybe ?

I think we all like to hope that another manager could get Ireland to put even MORE effort in.

N'Zogbia showed every sign of being well and truly pissed off with his manager. He is a ten million pound signing. It will be a measure of the next manager whether he can get the Zog playing to his potential.

With fully-functional Ireland and Zog, plus Bent, we will have a potent threat.

Given is a funny one.. I like him as a GK and if he stayed I wouldn't mind at all.. infact i'd be happy.

However one thing that does worry me is his long term contract.. if we got the right price I could see us selling.. it's no secret wages are an issue either.

Replacement if we do sell? your guess is as good as mine.

I get the impression that this link is based purely on the fact that hughes signed Given once before and the two seemed to get along. Also with Guzan going i doubt we would sell our only remaining senior keeper. Furthermore Given has 4 years left on his contract so we are under no pressure to sell as we did with Young and Barry etc. Apart from the bit about Kenny going back to join Warnock( as he has done wherever Warnock has gone) i don't think this story has much to it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Whilst no keeper is perfect, Given is one of the few players in our squad that I'd rate in the top 6 to 10 for their position so it makes no sense to sell him. Besides, name me another keeper so ready and able to keep out Warnock's efforts on our goal! :lol:

I get the impression that this link is based purely on the fact that hughes signed Given once before and the two seemed to get along.

ever think of taking up journalism. you already mastered most of the art ;)

I never realised how good he was until he played for us this season.

He always looked decent for Ireland and Newcastle, but he has been top class for us.

There are not many keepers in the topflight who I'd trade him for- and I'd include most of the GK's in top 5/6 sides in that. I'd far rather have him than De Gea, Szczęsny and Friedel, for example.

I'd sell him if the money was right. The old criticism that Shay Given is a shot stopper extraordinaire who's all round game is still lacking is still true as far as I am concerned. He is a very good goalkeeper, dont get me wrong but I think his unwillingness to come off of his line is one of the reasons why we conceded so many goals from corners this year.

This.

I get the impression that this link is based purely on the fact that hughes signed Given once before and the two seemed to get along.

ever think of taking up journalism. you already mastered most of the art ;)

Aye, all that article was missing is a headline with a pun. The old image of monkeys and typewriters comes to mind. ( Also if this somehow becomes true i will feel like a right tit...)