Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Add to that.With Liverpool if you don"t win something every so often you are in big trouble.

And 'something' has to be more than a League Cup and FA Cup Final..

Basically, top 4 is a minimum requirement, it seems.

I'd welcome Martinez here. He was in my (realistic) choices from the beginning; Lambert, Martinez and Rogers (before the whole OGS, he'd still be my first choice now, he actually made me feel genuinely excited, but oh well). He plays good football with a good attacking philosophy, he gets the best out of average players (something we really need with our squad if investment isn't hugly forthcoming) and has great media handling skills.

My housemate is from Wigan and he's said all season that he regards Martinez as one of the best in the league, even before their epic run at the end of the season. Wigan have poor players, yet he's avoided relegation 2 seasons running now, it's a minor miracle really when you actually look at their squad and starting 11.

Hard to say whether or not he's ready for a bigger challenge. He's unproven, yes. That's not a reason to write him off though.

Should have posted Rodney Marsh's tweets about Martinez on this thread... ooops

Rodney Marsh ‏@RodneyMarsh10

Oh no!! My grapevine says Martinez has burned his bridges. #stuckatwigan??

Apparently #AVFC have not received an application nor approached DW, still waiting.

The first tweet is wrt the Liverpool job from what I can gather from his timeline. As he retweeted a response along the lines of "He's a fool, the lfc job was the opportunity of a lifetime" and he agreed with it.

Saw this from a Swansea fan on another site regarding Rodgers and Martinez influence on Swansea ,found it an intresting insight

As a Swans fan, Brendan Rodger's had nothing to do with changing the way the team played from traditional 4-4-2 to tiki taka. That was Martinez. Infact, the only time Rodger's attempted to change the style of play was with Reading and failed!

Martinez installed the style but was too attacking, when he left for Wigan, Sousa took over and installed the defensive side but was so defensive it was dire to watch (40 goals in a season but finished 7th). Rodger's came in and got the balance right, infact the key to his success at Swansea is his knowledge of young players at previous posts and key loan/signings: (Sinclair/Borini/Sigurdsson) that ultimately got us to the Premier League and kept us there.

In fact there are a no. of similarities between Martinez and Rodgers, both are very PR friendly, both study Catalan methodology in their approach and both speak fluent Spanish.

Selfishly I hope you go for Martinez only because last season is the first one in years we haven't gone in to the close season managerless and it was like a breath of fresh air, plus we hate the bugger for the way he left us

Just hurry and decide the Planet Swans forum is going into meltdown

Apparently #AVFC have not received an application nor approached DW, still waiting.

So in conclusion posters on Twitter taliking bollox...again.

First tsunamis now burning bridges, what is it with Rodney Marsh and water???

Thats that then. Martinez certainly lacks ambition, what on Earth does he think he can achieve at Wigan? Whelan is such a prat as well.

If we don't get Lambert now I am very concerned about who will be coming in.