Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've read a few people saying that your feet can be on the line and it's not a foul throw, but to be honest I've not paid that much attention to it nor have I ever really managed to figure out what constitutes a foul throw. It was certainly a strikers throw in, I could tell that much!

Not really sure if that second part is a dig. An awful lot has been made out of me trying to point out to a couple of fellas having a debate at which time he entered the pitch! Each to their own eh. 

On the line is okay, on the pitch is not and he was stood on the pitch, at least his left foot anyway.

It was a bit of a dig but not overly malicious sorry! :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm going to state for the record here that my real name isn't Doug. I have nothing against the name Doug and I don't mind people calling me it, just saying like! 

FWIW I don't have a real name as I don't really exist, except in your mind. So actually, my name is your name. whatever that is. 

So, to be clear, you're not yourself today.

20 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

They say hate causes blindness

That's a very strong word to use and certainly not one I would choose to use of in terms of discussing a professional footballers ability- way off base for me I'm afraid- happy to discuss him as a footballer all day long - bring the word hate to the table and I'm done thank you.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That's a very strong word to use and certainly not one I would choose to use of in terms of discussing a professional footballers ability- way off base for me I'm afraid- happy to discuss him as a footballer all day long - bring the word hate to the table and I'm done thank you.

Totally fair enough. Sometimes the lines do seem to get blurred, whether it is discussing Gabby or other players, that the vitriol towards them seems to imply that, even though the H word wasnt used. Sometimes the emotion used when discussing players seems to be personal, and that is when I think its heading into flaming torches and pitch forks territory, which is a bit sad when discussing one of our own. How they are as a player and what they do in a game though, well that is open slather.

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Ok Doug

Reminds me of Only Fools And Horses where Trigger always called Rodney Dave. 

I love that show so thanks for rekindling some funny memories, Wizard_Of_Oz! 

Edited by villarocker

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

Can I just say that in the context I was having a laugh. I apologise if I implied you actually hate Gabby. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What on earth are you talking about? Where did I, or anyone, say anything even remotely like that? 

Regardless it raises a good point, what are we allowed to use to 'big up' players? Any player in fact. Don't worry, I've gathered that workrate, harrying and now quick throws are out of the question.

Doug- I am not going to lie- I read and misunderstood your post and for this I give you my unreserved apology - I do however stand by my comments in our exchange of views ref his performance when he came on towards the end of Sunday's game- it does stagger me Doug that you appear to wish to laud him up carrying out the very basic requirements of any professional footballer- which do not require any kind of talent at all and in fact you could take any fit young guy from the stands and ask them to perform the same tasks- I would ask you again can you honestly tell me how he has influenced games recently with the ball? and will you be happy to accept this level of performance going forward ? Doug the word hate has been used in this post and I would like to say that I am happy to slug this out with you until the cows come home- but I have no hate for the guy I would just like to reassure you of this - in fact I have no feelings at all for the guy- only views on his performances for Aston villa FC.

happy slugging Doug :-)

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

Doug- I am not going to lie- I read and misunderstood your post and for this I give you my unreserved apology - I do however stand by my comments in our exchange of views ref his performance when he came on towards the end of Sunday's game- it does stagger me Doug that you appear to wish to laud him up carrying out the very basic requirements of any professional footballer- which do not require any kind of talent at all and in fact you could take any fit young guy from the stands and ask them to perform the same tasks- I would ask you again can you honestly tell me how he has influenced games recently with the ball? and will you be happy to accept this level of performance going forward ? Doug the word hate has been used in this post and I would like to say that I am happy to slug this out with you until the cows come home- but I have no hate for the guy I would just like to reassure you of this - in fact I have no feelings at all for the guy- only views on his performances for Aston villa FC.

happy slugging Doug :-)

All things aside, this is the million dollar question imho. Can anyone seriously say Gabby is doing an acceptable job at the moment?

To be honest no. His is a sad story; he could have had a very decent career; not a world beater, but a much loved striker who chipped in with 10-15 goals a season. Instead he’s spent more time as a bench warmer/club goer/a ghost on the pitch player. That he’s made an enormous amount of money is depressing. Anyone who follows https://twitter.com/avfcgoals will know how useful he was; not just goals, but match winners. 

His football obituary could have been written three or four years ago. 

• Like 2

@Dave J I am actually looking forward to getting stuck into your post when I'm back from trying to find a bloody pink and white bobble hat for a Christmas present. I assure you, it's not for me. 

However as a precursor, I didn't use the word "hate". I just want to make that clear, I don't think you "hate" him. Just as I don't 'love' him, which will become abundantly clear. 

Great. At least five extra stuffing my face with goodies minutes wasted finding out none of you are who I thought you were, that those that don't like Gabby don't hate him and those that think he's ok don't love him.

Back to Iced Elf cakes.

Xtini

2 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

To be honest no. His is a sad story; he could have had a very decent career; not a world beater, but a much loved striker who chipped in with 10-15 goals a season. Instead he’s spent more time as a bench warmer/club goer/a ghost on the pitch player. That he’s made an enormous amount of money is depressing. Anyone who follows https://twitter.com/avfcgoals will know how useful he was; not just goals, but match winners. 

His football obituary could have been written three or four years ago. 

Considering his natural talent and intelligence, not a dig...just an observation he has exceeded any hopes anyone could have had for him as a teenager to be honest. If you had told me when he would go on to get near enough 100 goals I would have been amazed.

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Considering his natural talent and intelligence, not a dig...just an observation he has exceeded any hopes anyone could have had for him as a teenager to be honest. If you had told me when he would go on to get near enough 100 goals I would have been amazed.

Well his natural talent is out of balance; as an athlete he’s fast, had incredible acceleration, footballing wise he improved immensely and with his speed his ‘slowness’ of thought was perhaps compensated. Now he’s lost his natural edge and I would say more importantly his desire. Yes he’s probably achieved more than others who have come through the ranks and were hyped; the Moore brothers, Delfouenso. And Shane Paul. In part his decline has been magnified by the players around him; when you are in a team with players like Barry, Young, Carew, Milner, Petrov, its a damn sight easier to be a decent player. 

So yes his career has exceeded expectations. He just shouldn't be on the silly money he is, and he shouldn’t have baulked up, and taken better care of himself. Would be delighted if he scored some goals...

Â