Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I think it's been over reacted to. 

If you're a new manager coming in, you're gonna take a look at everyone. Regardless of what the previous manager thought or fan opinion. 

As others have said, I'd love to be proved wrong but I think Steve will quickly decide he's not up to it physically or mentally and he won't feature. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, TB said:

True enough. But even then opinions would differ wildly afterwards. (Cue various manager/player threads on here, where waiting and seeing is still disagreeing several years later). I just don't think Gabby will be able to return to anywhere near the player he once was, in which case playing him wouldn't help the team or the supporters' confidence in the manager. A new manager needs to gain the trust of both the players and the supporters. IMO, SB shouldn't give Gabby that one last chance unless he's confident that Gabby is up to the task.

Once (/if) he has the team performing well and winning games on a regular basis, demonstrating to all and sundry (if anyone can at Villa) that he knows what he's doing, I think he may choose any player available to him without the majority challenging/criticising his selections.

concur

It could well be he is past offering us anything....but...

The ones who have the shirt are not exactly pulling up trees.

SB will want to make his OWN mind up.

PS the only ones that can make it laughable to bring back Gabby is the current forwards......and they are not.

Edited by TRO

I've been against Gabby being brought back into the team...

...but does anyone here honestly believe he could have been any worse than McCormack & Kodjia in the second half on Saturday? Obviously we have Gestede & Ayew to bring in (or on if we had any substitutions left)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

The issue is midfield, Gabby won't resolve that.

He is the answer! TBF I'd probably have him over Jedinak. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2014/01/24/agbonlahor-reveals-which-position-hed-love-to-play-for-villa

Agbonlahor reveals which position he'd love to play for Villa

share-blue.png  

Brown

Gabby Agbonlahor says he'd love to play centre midfield for Villa one day. 

Agbonlahor was asked in a Q&A with AVTV one thing that people wouldn't know about him. 

And the fab forward revealed a desire to perform in the engine room for the claret and blues in the not-too-distant future. 

He accepts that his strengths at present are creating havoc in opposition defences and scoring goals, evidenced by his status as the club's record scorer in the Premier League years. 

But he hopes to move further back when he gets older. 

He said: "I'd love to play centre midfield one day. I have always liked the idea of that. 

"Sometimes in training in the past I have dropped back in there. I really enjoy it in there. 

"I'll be Gabby the playmaker! Maybe when I'm 36 I will move there. 

"When I have been in there in training, I have enjoyed getting on the ball, influencing the game and I like tackling too in there. 

"I have played so many positions for Villa over the years. You're always learning and developing your game by doing that. 

"But centre midfield is always a position I have enjoyed when I've been there. Hopefully I will be in there one day for Villa." 

Watch the Agbonlahor Q&A now on AVTV.

Edited by praisedmambo

21 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2014/01/24/agbonlahor-reveals-which-position-hed-love-to-play-for-villa

share-blue.png  

Brown

Agbonlahor was asked in a Q&A with AVTV one thing that people wouldn't know about him. 

And the fab forward revealed a desire to perform in the engine room for the claret and blues in the not-too-distant future. 

He accepts that his strengths at present are creating havoc in opposition defences and scoring goals, evidenced by his status as the club's record scorer in the Premier League years. 

He said: "I'd love to play centre midfield one day. I have always liked the idea of that. 

"Sometimes in training in the past I have dropped back in there. I really enjoy it in there. 

"When I have been in there in training, I have enjoyed getting on the ball, influencing the game and I like tackling too in there. 

"I have played so many positions for Villa over the years. You're always learning and developing your game by doing that. 

"But centre midfield is always a position I have enjoyed when I've been there. Hopefully I will be in there one day for Villa." 

What the absolute ****????????

Why the hell is he being interviewed on the club website?????

"Fab forward"  What? A Fab ice cream would be more use.

18 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

What the absolute ****????????

Why the hell is he being interviewed on the club website?????

Check the date. That article is two and half years ago.

Bruce cant come in and say clean slate everyone has a chance to play and then exclude Gabby.  He would undermine himself straight away.

He would have to wait and let the players undermine themselves and give him a reason for excluding them.

What Bruce needs to do is be strong and exclude them when they display a bad attitude etc.  We have an owner in XIA that would appear so far to back the managers decisions in this regard.

Just like Jose is giving Rooney enough rope at Man U.  He can turn around now and say look he just isn't good enough at the moment and drop him.  I dont think many United fans would argue now but they would have probably kicked a stink at beginning of the season.

I dont think Gabby is upto the challenge too far gone but I look forward to him hopefully trying to prove me wrong.

On 15 October 2016 at 00:58, TheStagMan said:

Whilst there was an overall malaise at the club last season, not every player was not giving a damn, and Gabby as club captain should have been working to reverse the malaise, not contribute to it. 

As for Grealish, No it isn't the same thing. Jack's behaviour (whilst unacceptable) is/was as a teenager just breaking into the team, Gabby was approaching 30 and was club captain. I will repeat that - CLUB CAPTAIN. He was the fella that was supposed to motivate the squad, someone that the younger players looked up to (and I don't mean because they are lying on the floor drunk). Someone who because of their position MUST hold themselves to a higher standard. He was the highest paid player at the club, he was "Mr Aston Villa" a Villa fan through and through - He should have been sweating blood trying to save the club he "loves". He was supposed to be our Alan Shearer.

What did he do? Pissed off to Dubai for a smoke and a few expensive drinks. Got fat, got sent to fat camp. Twice. During the season. As a professional athlete. After 5 years of mediocre performances. Can you imagine Shearer behaving like that in Newcastle's hour of need?

When he did play, he was shit, even in a shit team, playing shit, he was even more shit than those around him. 

He has never been highly skillful, he has never been a great player. He had a few seasons of being decent, even good, but that was over 5 years ago. Now he has lost the blistering speed, he has no edge. He has no skill or talent to fall back on. Just what can he offer that other, more deserving players can't????

He is widely reported as being a disruptive influence, and has allegedly undermined several of our recent managers. 

Any yet people still want to play him???? Why on earth after all that would he be given another chance??? Why should he???? And frankly, pretty much every one of our strikers is better than him. And then there are a number of youth players who deserve a chance. In fact , if it comes to it, and we for some reason are unable to field Ayew, Gestede, Kodjia or McCormack and whoever we buy in January, then I would play the youngsters like RHM ahead of him, because if we are that far down the striker pecking order then we are not getting promoted anyway and Gabriel Agbonlahor is not the man to change that, so we may as well develop the youth players for next season.

As I Have said before, if he didn't want to take a loan move (or again in Jan) then make him "earn" his salary by training on his own, or have him put the cones out. Letting him near the squad just sends the message that you can do whatever the hell you like and there are no consequences, so why bother giving a shit about the club.

Best post in the thread (imo)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

share-blue.png  

Brown

What! I nearly fell of my chair when I read this- he's kidding right ?

Â