Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The guy has had more lives than a cat!!

Sorry Dr. I disagreed over Bruce.. and now you want to give Flabby Agbonlahor another chance too..  

:rant:

I don't think the Dr. really wants to give him another chance, but rather tries to address the 'clean slate' idea frequently suggested whenever a new manager takes over. I think this is the equivalent of the airport 'last, and final call' before the gate is closed, leaving any stragglers behind.

• Like 1

I have never been a Gabby fan even during the times when some fans were having orgasms over him....those halcyon days.

we have won 4 games in 54 spending c 100 mill in the process, so i am not about to be all personal and moralistic about GA.

If SB thinks he can get or has got something out of him at BMH....he reserves the right to try and keep himself in a job by playing him.

We need to win games....if SB thinks by playing GA it will enhance our chances of advancing on 4 wins ......who am I to say he is wrong.

It must be his call.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have never been a Gabby fan even during the times when some fans were having orgasms over him....those halcyon days.

we have won 4 games in 54 spending c 100 mill in the process, so i am not about to be all personal and moralistic about GA.

If SB thinks he can get or has got something out of him at BMH....he reserves the right to try and keep himself in a job by playing him.

We need to win games....if SB thinks by playing GA it will enhance our chances of advancing on 4 wins ......who am I to say he is wrong.

It must be his call.

TRO- you are right to say he would be wrong, should he pick GA- who in my humble opinion should not be anywhere the first team squad 

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is the managers call isn't it and I think he is right to take a look at him and if over the coming weeks he deems him capable of making a positive contribution for us then he should pick him and I would hope that he would.

I'm one of those that thinks Gabby has in the past been a decent player for us and has made some vital contributions. For what it is worth though I think Bruce will take a look and decide Gabby is done. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

Mark, You know my overall view on Gabby, but my over overriding view is the manager must not be influenced by outside sources.

He needs to call on every conceivable resource ...He feels he needs to win a game.

my feelings on Gabby are irrelevant.

• Like 2

Well, a fit, agile and motivated Gabby would definitely be an asset. But then again, if SB is able to make Gabby fit that description again*, we wouldn't have to worry about promotion this season. With that kind of manager, it'd be nailed on.

Even without Gabby anywhere near the squad. 

* Promotion to the PL may precede this (if it happens at all...) by several years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TB said:

Well, a fit, agile and motivated Gabby would definitely be an asset. But then again, if SB is able to make Gabby fit that description again*, we wouldn't have to worry about promotion this season. With that kind of manager, it'd be nailed on.

Even without Gabby anywhere near the squad. 

* Promotion to the PL may precede this (if it happens at all...) by several years.

Then we will have to wait and see.

I really can't understand why some people are so anti giving him a chance to see what he can do in this division, or at least to get a little match fitness through reserve games or the odd sub appearance or whatever, I mean, genuinely what is the worst that could happen?

If he gets in the 1st team squad he must have earned it in training by being better than the other options, which means Aston Villa will be in a stronger position than we were before, and if he doesn't get in the squad then we're in the exact same position as if he'd never started training again. We're already paying him anyway, he's clearly already friends with the current players so his "influence" on them won't have changed. Chances are he still won't get near our team since the attacking players we have should be better options anyway and we're clearly top heavy, so where exactly is the harm in having him train and get the same chance as everyone else of getting in the team? 

Obviously he let the club down last season and didn't appear to give a damn, but isn't that true of everyone last season? If it's attitude alone I can't comprehend why some are clamouring for Grealish to start every game and Gabby to be sent out for a pre game public flogging every week, aren't they both guilty of basically the same thing?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Then we will have to wait and see.

True enough. But even then opinions would differ wildly afterwards. (Cue various manager/player threads on here, where waiting and seeing is still disagreeing several years later). I just don't think Gabby will be able to return to anywhere near the player he once was, in which case playing him wouldn't help the team or the supporters' confidence in the manager. A new manager needs to gain the trust of both the players and the supporters. IMO, SB shouldn't give Gabby that one last chance unless he's confident that Gabby is up to the task.

Once (/if) he has the team performing well and winning games on a regular basis, demonstrating to all and sundry (if anyone can at Villa) that he knows what he's doing, I think he may choose any player available to him without the majority challenging/criticising his selections.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I believe they call him Mr. Aston Villa

I think the old chap whose name escapes me but it is plastered on the Witton Lane Stand once claimed that title for himself although neither he or Gabby merit it. 

48 minutes ago, weedman said:

Obviously he let the club down last season and didn't appear to give a damn, but isn't that true of everyone last season? If it's attitude alone I can't comprehend why some are clamouring for Grealish to start every game and Gabby to be sent out for a pre game public flogging every week, aren't they both guilty of basically the same thing?

Whilst there was an overall malaise at the club last season, not every player was not giving a damn, and Gabby as club captain should have been working to reverse the malaise, not contribute to it. 

As for Grealish, No it isn't the same thing. Jack's behaviour (whilst unacceptable) is/was as a teenager just breaking into the team, Gabby was approaching 30 and was club captain. I will repeat that - CLUB CAPTAIN. He was the fella that was supposed to motivate the squad, someone that the younger players looked up to (and I don't mean because they are lying on the floor drunk). Someone who because of their position MUST hold themselves to a higher standard. He was the highest paid player at the club, he was "Mr Aston Villa" a Villa fan through and through - He should have been sweating blood trying to save the club he "loves". He was supposed to be our Alan Shearer.

What did he do? Pissed off to Dubai for a smoke and a few expensive drinks. Got fat, got sent to fat camp. Twice. During the season. As a professional athlete. After 5 years of mediocre performances. Can you imagine Shearer behaving like that in Newcastle's hour of need?

When he did play, he was shit, even in a shit team, playing shit, he was even more shit than those around him. 

He has never been highly skillful, he has never been a great player. He had a few seasons of being decent, even good, but that was over 5 years ago. Now he has lost the blistering speed, he has no edge. He has no skill or talent to fall back on. Just what can he offer that other, more deserving players can't????

He is widely reported as being a disruptive influence, and has allegedly undermined several of our recent managers. 

Any yet people still want to play him???? Why on earth after all that would he be given another chance??? Why should he???? And frankly, pretty much every one of our strikers is better than him. And then there are a number of youth players who deserve a chance. In fact , if it comes to it, and we for some reason are unable to field Ayew, Gestede, Kodjia or McCormack and whoever we buy in January, then I would play the youngsters like RHM ahead of him, because if we are that far down the striker pecking order then we are not getting promoted anyway and Gabriel Agbonlahor is not the man to change that, so we may as well develop the youth players for next season.

As I Have said before, if he didn't want to take a loan move (or again in Jan) then make him "earn" his salary by training on his own, or have him put the cones out. Letting him near the squad just sends the message that you can do whatever the hell you like and there are no consequences, so why bother giving a shit about the club.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TRO said:

It must be his call.

I am sorry my friend, we need to try and get the hell out of this league and as soon as possible.

We do not have the luxury and certainly do not have the time to experiment with GA in a hope he may come good.. or he may not. to end with nothing but an 'oh well at least he was given a chance' bullshit.

We need as many points on the board and goals scored by our prolific strikers to get us out of this league.  GA is definitely not the answer.

Hopefully he will just be paid off or anything, just get him gone!!

• Like 2

I would still give Flabby a clean slate if:

1. He is the fittest he has ever been. 

2. His attitude in training and on match day is exemplary.

3. He has really made a big effort to welcome his new team mates and build some sort of team spirit. 

He didn't rape anyone*, kill someone whilst drunk driving or punch a schoolgirl in the face. He was just a complete an utter knob at the time when Villa needed him most.

Personally,  I think he's still a knob and hasn't done the things I list above. If he had,  I doubt any manager/owner would not have given him a chance. 

*  just like another footballer in the news yesterday. Who said satire was dead?

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

Â