Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Breaking news: Agbonlahor signs new four-year deal

Gabby Agbonlahor thrilled to pen new contract.

10th Sep 2014

By Brian Doogan

Gabby Agbonlahor insists it is a "dream come true to give the rest of [his] best years" to Aston Villa, having signed a new deal to June 2018.

The 27-year-old Academy graduate and England international has effectively committed the best years of his career to the club he joined as a schoolboy.

Villa's all-time leading Barclays Premier League goalscorer, with 68 goals since he marked his debut with a goal against Everton at Goodison Park in March 2006, Agbonlahor is excited about the strong start made by the Club this season and by a burning desire he harbours of firing Villa into a position of challenging for honours again before, finally, he hangs up his boots.

"It's a fantastic feeling for me to commit my future to the Club and to give the rest of my best years to Aston Villa," he said.

"I'm excited for this season and I'm excited for the next four years.

"I can still remember my debut and the past 10 years have gone by crazy quick. To be able to contribute still to the Club after 10 years - and hopefully for the next four, too - is a real source of pride for me and my family.

"The Club has been great to me and the fans have been great, even through the difficult times we've experienced, too.

"But there's a real sense of optimism surrounding the Club at the moment and we're looking forward to challenging higher up the Premier League, that's our goal.

"Even after all these years I still get that same buzz pulling on the Villa shirt and that will never go.

"When I stop playing, whenever that is, I'll still be a Villa fan and I'll still come down and watch because it's a part of my life and it's part of my family's. We've always being Villa fans.

"It's a dream come true for me to sign this deal and to keep playing for the club I love.

"This deal provides me with the chance to play for Villa for the next four years and I've always said I only wanted to play for one team.

"In your wildest dreams it would still be a privilege to stay at a club the size and stature of Aston Villa for your whole career and I'm delighted and determined to repay the faith the Club demonstrated to me."

Manager Paul Lambert emphasised the rarity of single-club players in the modern game while extolling the virtues which have marked out Agbonlahor as one of the most identifiable attacking players in the Premier League over the past decade.

"Gabby has started this season really well again and in the game against Hull two weeks ago I thought he was exceptional in terms of his speed and attitude," Lambert said.

"Real pace is a tremendous asset on a football pitch and Gabby has it in abundance.

"We're delighted at the Club that we've secured his future here, he knows the Club and he has a genuine desire to continue to progress.

"If he can retain that hunger and maintain that standard and level of consistency in his game, he'll not only be a valuable asset for Villa but he could back into playing international football as well. He has plenty to offer.

"Gabby has always shown the speed and intuitiveness to hurt teams at the highest level. It's also very rare that a player remains at the same club over such a length of time.

"Ryan Giggs did it and Steven Gerrard has done it but it's a rare occurrence, which underlines his talent and why we're delighted to have done this deal."

Agbonlahor will lead the line again when he comes up against Liverpool captain Gerrard on Saturday at Anfield where he is resolved to extending Villa's strong start to the campaign.

"The way we have started this season has been really good to see and we look much stronger as a team, which means we can go to places like Anfield with real confidence in what we can do," he added.

"We look stronger at the back and we've always got a threat going forward. We've got key players coming back into the squad soon, too, which will help competition for places and I think it's really good for the Club at the moment.

"They're going to be some really tough games that we have over this next period but they're the games you want to be involved in.

"As a team, we've done well against the top sides in the past few years because in those big occasions in those big stadiums your performances are going to rise.

"We did well at Anfield last season and the season before so there's no reason we can't go there with the right game plan and do it again.

"They're a good side, a team on the way up, and they've got great players across all the positions.

"But so do we. We've made some great additions to the squad and we're looking really strong, so there's no reason we can't go there with a strong mentality to try to secure another good result."

Liar

So he stll has 2 years left on his contract come the summer. So if we are paying him say £50k per week, then it will cost us just over £5m to pay this waste of space off come the summer, plus any bonuses that he may be due. That may be the best £5m we will have ever spent.

• Like 1

Presumably his new contract had a wage reduction clause if we get relegated, so hopefully it'd cost even less to pay him off (or, he'll not be happy on his reduced wages and happily move to a lower Prem club for a small fee).

12 minutes ago, NeilS said:

So he stll has 2 years left on his contract come the summer. So if we are paying him say £50k per week, then it will cost us just over £5m to pay this waste of space off come the summer, plus any bonuses that he may be due. That may be the best £5m we will have ever spent.

How much did Steve sidwell cost? :detect:

Isn't it at least common practice to have a "no smoking" clause in all contracts?

I remember Wenger having a fit against Wilshere multiple times for him being caught smoking in pictures.

Should at least be able to fine Gabby.

I know some will say that smoking a cigar isn't really smoking, but that's like saying you we're no cheating, because only the tip was in...

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm a lazy bastard, and I'm in better shape than that. What an athlete.

Give him a break. It might be a hernia from overdoing it in the gym. #committed

1 hour ago, sne said:

Anyone still thinking that a new manager with a harder attitude (Pearson...) will scare this lot straight? :crylaugh:

They don't care, they have contracts and will outlive any manager, and they know it.

We already have physio Robert Duverne at the club who is known for his bust up with big name players who doesn't follow his routines. Players don't care.

Duverne seems like a big prick though, has fallen out with more high profile players than Gabby and seems like a little Hitler who throws a tantrum when players dont listen

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I initially thought this. But the guy is our 'club captain', and he's ridiculously unfit. He's fat, and that's contributed heavily to the loss of his only asset, his pace.

We've got no right to insist that players spend all of their spare time at home, miserable, and never go out to enjoy themselves, but as a senior member of the squad, I think it says a lot about his attitude when he decides to **** off on holiday to smoke and drink, more rather than trying to work on his fitness, he'll be coming back from the international break even more out of shape.

The more of this stuff I see and hear, the more I believe the other rumours I'd normally dismiss out of hand

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Duverne seems like a big prick though, has fallen out with more high profile players than Gabby and seems like a little Hitler who throws a tantrum when players dont listen

And you want Pearson to use the hard man, being a prick routine to whip the players into shape? make up your mind.

• Like 3

Just now, a m ole said:

And you want Pearson to use the hard man, being a prick routine to whip the players into shape? make up your mind.

eh Pearson wouldnt storm off the training ground like a spoiled child that Duverne did in the World Cup

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Duverne gets above his station, he is well known for it. He is a fitness coach at the end of the day but constantly gives it loads like he is in charge. Thats why he has fallen out with numerous players during his various stints. I think it's gone as far as trading blows in his time with the French after he threw something at one of the players during a training session. I know he totally derailed the french team at one world cup.

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Probably because he is sick of players taking the piss and underperforming and the football world doing **** all about it 

Or because he is not a very nice person to work with

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Even stans telling you piss off gabby

Also says the same about Lescott and Richards.  He says he is meeting Little next week for a coffee and will tell him the same.

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Also says the same about Lescott and Richards.  He says he is meeting Little next week for a coffee and will tell him the same.

I said this earlier that I think all three of these clowns are the root of the problem at our club. All three need to leave and none will be missed

• Like 1

Â