Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He's still better than Sinclair IMO

If we use him right and the opposition react and drop their line deeper to accommodate him (effectively nullifying him at the same time) then it should bring others in to play, it's not his fault that we are rarely good enough to play to it though

4 hours ago, KSV said:

He's got a few assists this season ;)

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not an individual players fault that the rest are not good enough but we as fans need to move away from making excuses for them( that is entirely different from supporting them on matchday, which is essential).....its their responsibilty to ensure that their game is top notch and to stop looking at other players to carry them.

Gabby's Goal return is futile....He has been played in every conceivable position to try and get some benefit from his game he has been accomodated out wide to ensure his pace stays in the team, He has been cut slack with comments like " He runs the channels and works his socks off" as if it is some kind of major benefit when in fact it is fundamental to that job and nothing more than you would expect from a front man.....He frightens defenders and stretches the play is another line rolled out by his supporters, I have rarely seen him playing on the shoulder of the last defender, where his now dubious pace can flourish, so I struggle to see what others do in him.

The fact that some fans are quick to get him back in is not a criticism of their judgment.....its a criticism of the clubs recruitment policy that we have this debate at all.

Gabby agbonlahor is NOT the reason for our demise....but he is the epitome of it IMO.

Great post TRO. 

Just watch....He will play and score today.

and do you know, I will be highly delighted for him and he can ram my comments down my throat.....Because if he comes back with a strike, it shows his fighting spirit.

I am happy to eat humble pie especially if we get a result.

I will always find room to defend a trier/competitor.

• Like 3

[/quite] Gabby agbonlahor is NOT the reason for our demise....but he is the epitome of it IMO.

Couldn't agree more, looks unfit, lazy and half the time not bothered and yet he's got that club captain role...badly managed over the last five years and now for most simply isn't good enough and for the others isn't as good as we hope he'll be

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

[/quite] Gabby agbonlahor is NOT the reason for our demise....but he is the epitome of it IMO.

Couldn't agree more, looks unfit, lazy and half the time not bothered and yet he's got that club captain role...badly managed over the last five years and now for most simply isn't good enough and for the others isn't as good as we hope he'll be

Gabby's reputation as Mr Aston Villa is actively hurting the club. It keeps him in contention for starting places when he should be used as an impact player. Anyway, I suspect his loyalty to the club is overstated - I mean, it's not like people are beating down our doors with offers for him.

• Like 2

After seeing others get their chance out wide I don't think Gabby could do any worse. At least he gets in positions to make us moan about how terrible his shooting is.

Sinclair is no winger, he is clueless out wide...I can't believe I'm saying this but we might need Gabby back...unless a bloody manager decided 2 up top can work! And it bloody well can!

1 hour ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

After seeing others get their chance out wide I don't think Gabby could do any worse. At least he gets in positions to make us moan about how terrible his shooting is.

Sinclair is no winger, he is clueless out wide...I can't believe I'm saying this but we might need Gabby back...unless a bloody manager decided 2 up top can work! And it bloody well can!

I think the problem with two up top is that our midfield would get owned.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2015, 17:02:17, Villanun said:

Gabby's reputation as Mr Aston Villa is actively hurting the club. It keeps him in contention for starting places when he should be used as an impact player. Anyway, I suspect his loyalty to the club is overstated - I mean, it's not like people are beating down our doors with offers for him.

Impact player :crylaugh:

• Like 1

I think there is nostalgia about Gabby scoring when we've won against teams like Arsenal and West Brom, victories that seem unlikely now.

So people are desperate for Gabby to come in and score a goal that wins us an actual game, remember when we won games? Seems fiction now.

Sadly he is pretty awful these days, i don't mind admitting that at times his pace and assists used to be an asset even if he was never really an effective striker. But it's a long time since he contributed anything, the likes of him Zog, Westwood, are from an era we need to get past if we are ever going to improve. Would argue 50% of our current squad needs to move on as they are shite.

• Like 3

In years gone by he'd have a couple of games where against certain fullbacks or particular centre backs he'd be a nightmare due to his speed and strength, days where his control was better than usual and he would run direct towards goal instead of going down a blind alley which he doesn't have the trickery to get out of.

Those days are behind him now I think. Doesn't have the acceleration to beat many of the new type full/wingbacks of the Prem imo. He can't jink past anyone he has to get a few yards in first to get up to some speed.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I think he's finished :(

• Like 1

On 05/12/2015, 11:31:51, villa4europe said:

He's still better than Sinclair IMO

If we use him right and the opposition react and drop their line deeper to accommodate him (effectively nullifying him at the same time) then it should bring others in to play, it's not his fault that we are rarely good enough to play to it though

I think Nzogbia is far better for us, and that tells you what I think of Agbonlahor.

If I was picking the team I could end up arguing with myself over the pluses and minuses of the players skills set.....and the ups and downs of their form.

its anyones guess....with so many gaps in their attributes its difficult to pick a balanced side, thats why I'm reluctant to overly criticise any of our mangers past or present for their team selection....recruitment yes.

Edited by TRO

I think, when you get to a situation where television pundits (who are reluctant to overly criticise any individual player) making fun at some of their ( touches)stats......it maybe a good  time for some of us to reappraise our thoughts on him.

Â