Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

There was a time when he was faster than ****', that died with Cheryl being a babe, it's old hat.

i was watching Gabby in the 4-4 with Spurs in 2007 after the match,he was fit and lithe.....he now resembles a Chinese wrestler.

With no pace he as about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

Edited by TRO

His decision to start bodybuilding was a catastrophic mistake, maybe not for his career because we paid him handsomely regardless but as a footballer (glorified sprinter) it ruined him. The physique was spot on before but his technique was bad, and now he has neither. Last Tuesday Van Dyk galloped toward the ball past Gabby doing his leant back, stuck in a spiderweb sprint; he hasn't been fast as f**k for some time. The extra weight also no doubt contributed to his injury problems, trying to change the natural composition of your body is going to ruin how efficiently it works. Imagine if Usain Bolt tried to put on the size of Harry A-A. He'd injure himself going up and down the stairs, never mind 90 mins of running, sprinting, jumping, twisting and changing direction.

There was a time when he was faster than ****', that died with Cheryl being a babe, it's old hat.

i was watching Gabby in the 4-4 with Spurs in 2007 after the match,he was fit and lithe.....he now resembles a Chinese wrestler.

I could not disagree with you more. Cheryl is still a babe!

But Gabby is well past it.

• Like 1

Worth remembering as much as Carragher was laughing at him last night he's previously said he was one of the toughest forwards he faced.

Those days are long go now, I knew he wouldn't do anything this season from not even able to make an impact in the two derby games, he is finished at this level so please stop starting him.

• Like 1

He was terrible last night. 

I don't think he's finished. I think the public nature of the half time on the TV will give him much to think about.

OBE you must surely realize that your in an ever decreasing minority when you say this? In my view the guys been finished for ages, even in his so-called pomp [ not my thoughts]  i just saw a very ordinary football player blessed with exceptional pace. For us to move forward as a club then in my view it's time to say cheerio and lets all move on in separate directions, wouldn't even put him in the squad anymore. IMO. 

• Like 2

I could not disagree with you more. Cheryl is still a babe!

But Gabby is well past it.

too thin....moved on to Rita now.:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

His decision to start bodybuilding was a catastrophic mistake, maybe not for his career because we paid him handsomely regardless but as a footballer (glorified sprinter) it ruined him. The physique was spot on before but his technique was bad, and now he has neither. Last Tuesday Van Dyk galloped toward the ball past Gabby doing his leant back, stuck in a spiderweb sprint; he hasn't been fast as f**k for some time. The extra weight also no doubt contributed to his injury problems, trying to change the natural composition of your body is going to ruin how efficiently it works. Imagine if Usain Bolt tried to put on the size of Harry A-A. He'd injure himself going up and down the stairs, never mind 90 mins of running, sprinting, jumping, twisting and changing direction.

Only defender he out-paced last season was........Lescott.

You really couldn't make up the last 5 years if you tried.

Obviously doesn't deserve half the harshness he's getting on here, but that's par for the course really. He's been shit this season though, hadn't contributed at all, I don't think the fact he's been injured a couple of times already has helped especially with his fitness and match sharpness but it's not been good enough.

What he needs now is to be out of the team for a couple of months, get fit, get raring to go and see what he's like when he comes back. If there's no change then it's probably time up with us, which would be a shame as it's not a great end for someone who has been with us a long time, but hopefully he can come back fully fit and hungry to prove everyone wrong

Also just to point out for everyone laughing at him on Monday night, we never supplied him at all first half and he was injured which would definitely explain the lack of movement which was clearly worse than usual that evening

The comparison is interesting.

Gabby and Bolt are the same age (29); Bolt's peak was in 2009 and Gabby's peak was the 2008-9 season.

The idea that a bit of body-building changed his body forever, is definitely wrong: ask any body-builder and they will tell you how difficult it is to maintain muscle-mass.

From the moment Gabby emerged as a youngster it was well-known that he was very limited technically but play a ball in front of him and he would lose the defender and have a shot on goal: he was never a great finisher but on his day he could be very effective. 

When he was moved out wide and played deeper to shore up Villa's defensive weakness at left-back, his starting position favoured the defender and his pace was less effective.

My view is that he was always a very limited player whose main attribute was squandered to make up for the shortcomings of a team with defensive problems and in decline. 

His loss of pace means that he needs to adapt is game to compensate, which I don't think he is capable of, or his starting position needs to altered to take his loss of pace into account.

I'll never believe he has the attributes required of a winger.

Think the realization that he'll potentially be missing out on a whole generation of girls after that tackle on 1D's Louis Tomlinson might be messing with his head. B)

Edited by sne

Only defender he out-paced last season was........Lescott.

You really couldn't make up the last 5 years if you tried.

He looked dead slow on the counter attack against Leicester this season, too.

Gabby and Bolt are the same age (29); Bolt's peak was in 2009 and Gabby's peak was the 2008-9 season.

The idea that a bit of body-building changed his body forever, is definitely wrong: ask any body-builder and they will tell you how difficult it is to maintain muscle-mass.

From the moment Gabby emerged as a youngster it was well-known that he was very limited technically but play a ball in front of him and he would lose the defender and have a shot on goal: he was never a great finisher but on his day he could be very effective. 

When he was moved out wide and played deeper to shore up Villa's defensive weakness at left-back, his starting position favoured the defender and his pace was less effective.

My view is that he was always a very limited player whose main attribute was squandered to make up for the shortcomings of a team with defensive problems and in decline. 

His loss of pace means that he needs to adapt is game to compensate, which I don't think he is capable of, or his starting position needs to altered to take his loss of pace into account.

He gained most his weight over the course of a preseason, you cannot tell me that was his body naturally growing up. Why not compare him to H.A.A, his coaches had to change his training regime as he was putting on too much size and it was hindering him. The leaner version was quicker, our fitness coach noticed it and fans noticed it. I'd also wager that Gabby wasn't doing exercises to build his power and speed that resulted in his size, it was a lot of bench and arm size which translates to unnecessary kilos added to every stride. I'm familiar with both body builders and athletics coaches by the way.

He gained most his weight over the course of a preseason, you cannot tell me that was his body naturally growing up. Why not compare him to H.A.A, his coaches had to change his training regime as he was putting on too much size and it was hindering him. The leaner version was quicker, our fitness coach noticed it and fans noticed it. I'd also wager that Gabby wasn't doing exercises to build his power and speed that resulted in his size, it was a lot of bench and arm size which translates to unnecessary kilos added to every stride. I'm familiar with both body builders and athletics coaches by the way.

Genuine question. Why are  all 100m sprinters built like brick shithouses then?

• Like 1

Â