Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Oh Con.

Can we all pretend that never happened? Thanks.

Back to Gabby - he's a luxury player. When the team are playing well he tends to be a part of that and occasionally he'll win a game single handedly with his explosive moments of "magic".

But he's never been a grafter. He's never been one to take the game by the scruff of the neck and lead. I've no idea where that train of thought came from.

So when he's in bad form, like may I add all of them to a man, it shows. But you keep playing him because we've nobody else with that explosiveness fit right now.

I'd like to see Albrighton in the side, but not in place of Gabby. Tonev? Ummm...

• Like 1

Regarding Cons suggestion, we've see with bacuna who maybe is just as quick, just how difficult it is to convert to fullback. Kenny Swain was the best example of turning what was a right winger into one of our greatest ever right backs but he had an astute footballing brain and that is the main area i worry about with Gabby.  He doesn't read the game well.  If he just watched Wayne Rooney and his movement then he might be half as good a player as him.

Edited by PaulC

Well, the days of Gabby being a striker are long gone.

We need to "think outside the box" to get the best out of him, or sell him to a club that can use him as a squad player.

It's ridiculous that our most inconsistent player who is not good at doing what he's paid to do (score goals) is our most highly paid player who is first choice on the team sheet.

It's a joke. This situation. It makes the team and the club a joke.

If we want to play passing, patient & possession based football. Which is what I hear from fans a lot. Gabby will not work in that team. Gabby's strengths have always been his pace on the counter, when he's on form and we are playing away it will work for us. Unfortunately playing to Gabby's strengths dont work at home and he is rarely 'in form' after November.

For 60k+ a week, we could have a player that has a better footballing brain than gabby, making incisive runs rather than just fast ones. And one that isn't just going to perform at his best in the 7 or 8 away games we play before December.

I like Gabby, but his limitations are mirrored in the squads limitations. Dont particularly want to lose Gabby but I do want us to lose the dour tactics we currently employ and maybe bringing in a smarter winger will force that.

• Like 1

He just simply shouldn't start as many home games as he does, I will be shaking my head if he's still a regular starter at VP next season.

I would still say he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet away but seems teams are now wising up to how to play us at home. Yesterday was pretty much like Newcastle away where both sat deep against us and once in the second half they had nullified us and realised we were no longer interested in winning the game started attacking and both won the game.

Went to the match yesterday and thought Gabby was a complete waste of space - ineffective, disinterested and anonymous

As he has been in many games sadly.

It's not a ridiculous suggestion. The modern wing-back is becoming more like Gabby.

Walker at Tottenham.

If he plays left-back he can cut inside onto his right foot.

Gabby's also got a half-decent cross as he showed against Liverpool and Rotherham. 

If we can't play him there then I agree we should sell him to a team that could use a good counter-attacking player to warm the bench. We won't have trouble selling him if the price is right. His wage isn't massive for the big clubs. Tom Cleverley is now getting about the same at Man Utd.

why not play him goal....he won't have to think where to run ,then.

.....oh sorry, he's too short.

Edited by TRO

Unfortunately playing to Gabby's strengths dont work at home and he is rarely 'in form' after November.

.....sounds like describing and endangered species.lol

Gabby's strike rate this season is absolute garbage and what he adds to the team is negligible . I can't see any reason why he would be offered a new contract. He gets contracts and starts living off his 'Mr Aston Villa' tag. The main reason why he is still here is not down to loyalty but down to the fact that no other club wants to pay his ridiculously high wage for little return. His only attribute was pace and he has lost that. Opposing defenders don't generally have a problem catching him.

The trouble with Gabby is that the team needs to be set up in a certain way to get the best out of him (counter attacking football) and he is just not good enough to adapt his game to play in any other way. When he is up top as a striker, he severally lacks the footballing brain for any creative runs off the ball. I normally prefer him out wide to stretch a team with his pace but again, he doesn't make the most of this, rarely running at his full back.

Gabby just isn't good enough to justify his wage and has far more limitations than another player whom that money could go towards. He certainly has got an easy ride for being a local lad.  

• Like 1

Did Gabby actually play yesterday? Oh yes, he passed the ball to the Palace keeper in the second half i think it was .That is the only thing of note I can recall him doing. 3 goals all season for a so called striker is pathetic .Waste of space as far as i am concerned

Some ridiculous conjecture in these last couple of pages.

He's out of form, simple as that. That people are looking for reasons other than the obvious to chastise him proves to me that he is highly rated amongst the majority. More is expected of him, absolutely, but we shouldn't need to invent reasons why he's not delivering right now.

From what i have seen he has not delivered anything for the last few years and he is a striker after all!!

Â