Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i'd like to see him get a few mins saturday...give him something of a send off

seriously. we sing "Don't look back in anger" in the stadium, so don't...

16 hours ago, Dick said:

Got to say, I feel really sad about Gabby going. Not because I want him to stay, no the time has come for him to go. I just wish it had turned out so differently. He's one of our own and could have been so much more. 

The fact that he is one of our own makes the whole scenario even more Bizarre.

It really is a freak situation.

I don't honestly know what emotion I should employ when discussing him.

I seen him on Sunday watching his son play football as I was watching my grandson, they play for the same club......normally I would have a quick word with a Villa first teamer......I just couldn't be bothered.

much to his delight I suppose:D

• Like 2

I think, if we're comfortably winning the game and we've not used up all 3 subs (and assuming he's even on the bench) there's little to no harm in giving him 10 final minutes on the pitch.

It would be a touch of class from the club, and yes, that class has not been reciprocated but that's somewhat irrelevant really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think, if we're comfortably winning the game and we've not used up all 3 subs (and assuming he's even on the bench) there's little to no harm in giving him 10 final minutes on the pitch.

It would be a touch of class from the club, and yes, that class has not been reciprocated but that's somewhat irrelevant really.

How may I ask in your opinion it's irrelevant ? People talk of him being one of our own - How much of this was seen during our relegation season? 

I bear the man no animosity at all and have read on here about some of his charitable acts and for this I doff my cap in total respect to him.

But hey this guy is an extremely limited footballer imo who has forged a lifestyle out of ASTON VILLA FC way beyond What most of us could only dream about - again imo and what happened when the chips were down ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I seen him on Sunday watching his son play football as I was watching my grandson, they play for the same club......normally I would have a quick word with a Villa first teamer......I just couldn't be bothered.

TRO - kind of says it all really, I wouldn't cross over the road to engage with him either  - much to his delight  I suppose :D

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dave J said:

How may I ask in your opinion it's irrelevant ? People talk of him being one of our own - How much of this was seen during our relegation season? 

I bear the man no animosity at all and have read on here about some of his charitable acts and for this I doff my cap in total respect to him.

But hey this guy is an extremely limited footballer imo who has forged a lifestyle out of ASTON VILLA FC way beyond What most of us could only dream about - again imo and what happened when the chips were down ?

Dave, In my humble opinion you are right.....but I blame the club as much as him.

I suspect from murmurings of folk who know him.....he is an ok guy.

I just don't know what went wrong on the park.....I'll leave it there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I just feel really sad, a mixture of hating him for not becoming what he should have, and loving him for some of the wonderful memories. 

23 hours ago, osmark86 said:

seriously. we sing "Don't look back in anger" in the stadium, so don't...

Why DO we sing that btw? Seems too Man City to me...can’t we sing something by Black Sabbath???

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Why DO we sing that btw? Seems too Man City to me...can’t we sing something by Black Sabbath???

...or Led Zeppelin for that matter. totally agree though.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAH!! COME TO LAND OF THE ICE AND SNOW

now that would be something...

21 hours ago, Dave J said:

Irrelevant in the context of how we now choose to act and manage the situation Dave. 

44 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Wasn't this the song that was played at Reading last year when we won away from home for the first time in ages? so it kind of stuck I guess, bit like a good luck charm

2 hours ago, Dick said:

I just feel really sad, a mixture of hating him for not becoming what he should have, and loving him for some of the wonderful memories. 

Hating him for not becoming what he should have ? I think he did  tbh - I don't think he was ever capable of achieving more - he wasn't very good really imo for what it's worth 

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Hating him for not becoming what he should have ? I think he did  tbh - I don't think he was ever capable of achieving more - he wasn't very good really imo for what it's worth 

He could have given us a hell of a lot more effort and professionalism over the last 5 years or so. That's why I'm glad he's leaving and will not remember him all that fondly. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Let down by a management team who wanted him to bulk up, he lost a small amount of pace, started getting injuries, then the whole club was mismanaged, too many managers, no clue at the top, different styles, a chairman who withdrew funding across the club - including hitting training, it's no wonder Gabby looks to have reached his best in 2010,just before Lerner ruined the club and just after he was asked to bulk up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Iron Man would go well. Everyone going naa naa naa naa naa, na na na na na na na na na na!!!! Can you hear us!?

I think he should have galvanized or shown more fight during our relegation season. If I was playing on that pitch and we were playing like that I'd be screaming at all of them. Trying to lead by example. But that's just me. 

21 minutes ago, Dick said:

Let down by a management team who wanted him to bulk up, he lost a small amount of pace, started getting injuries, then the whole club was mismanaged, too many managers, no clue at the top, different styles, a chairman who withdrew funding across the club - including hitting training, it's no wonder Gabby looks to have reached his best in 2010,just before Lerner ruined the club and just after he was asked to bulk up. 

I feel that's a very convenient way of letting him off the hook tbh - bulking has zero effect on talent and as Lexicon points out - his effort and professional have nothing whatsoever to do with bulking either -  but hey if that's your view I accept your right to this.

3 hours ago, withes_shin said:

Wasn't this the song that was played at Reading last year when we won away from home for the first time in ages? so it kind of stuck I guess, bit like a good luck charm

It is. Which is why I think it’s so good. 

It has a genuine reason behind why we sing it. Not one of these manufactured anthems like that horrendous “Aston Villa we do” shite

1 hour ago, Dick said:

i'm sorry but gabby only has himself to blame, oniell told him not to bulk up because he would lose pace but he did anyway and still went on to have a good season, then houllier told him he needs to lose some of the muscle. other players managed to stand out for us despite the mismanagement and different styles we've been through these past 8 years but the fact is agbonlahor just wasn't interested and was happy to pick up his ridiculous pay cheque whilst claiming to love the club. 

Â