Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He has scored 67 goals in 274 appearances 31 of those appearances as a sub. A goal every 4 games whilst not great is not that bad especially when you think how many games he has played out wide.

He is rightly starting at the moment for me. We look far more threatening with him in the side than out of it.

I will grant you that Mark, but he simply goes through too many games without scoring imo

some will say thats ok, I don't think it is for what he's being paid.

Aston Villa will never progress whilst those sort of stats are accepted.

However, he is not amongst our prime problem players, but for the reputation he has in some quarters he needs to justify it by "doing what it says on the tin"

Just remember Mark a goal every 4 games in the prem is 9/10 some midfielders score that... he is a striker.

someone wrote on here that Gabby has scored more goals for Villa than David Platt....that maybe so 59 v 61 in favour of Gabby

What he/she failed to say was Gabby took 7 seasons Platty took 3.

Haha! Who said that nonsense!?

Add to that: Platt was a **** midfielder. We have never had a player score so many goals from midfield since, and we're not likely to see his likes again for a long time.

Strikers like Gabby, however, are two a penny.

Comparing him to Gabby is absolute bollocks.

The only difference is loyalty...but that counts for shit when Gabby is on easy street and has nowhere to realistically go!

Make O'Neill aware that Gabby is available in January and then use the revenue plus whatever Lerner makes available in January to buy a CB, LB, CM and winger.

What about a striker replacement for Gabby? If Benteke or Bent (if still here) become injured were **** up front surely?

He has scored 67 goals in 274 appearances 31 of those appearances as a sub. A goal every 4 games whilst not great is not that bad especially when you think how many games he has played out wide.

He is rightly starting at the moment for me. We look far more threatening with him in the side than out of it.

That isn't impressive stats for a striker to be honest.

Don't think he will ever reach the heights people expect him to on here.

You want to sell last seasons most potent attacking threat?

I like that people go to this without mentioning he had only one more G+A in 11 more games than Bent. Potent might not be the word you were looking for.

I do not think advanced metrics have made it to the world of football yet, but when they do you will realize how inefficient an offensive player Gabby is.

That being said, I like the way he is playing now. Several of our goals have come from him backing a defender down, holding him off the receive the ball from midfield, and the distributing the ball well with his back to goal.

Now if he could just hit the ball well with his front to goal, we might have something.

I like that people go to this without mentioning he had only one more G+A in 11 more games than Bent. Potent might not be the word you were looking for.

I do not think advanced metrics have made it to the world of football yet, but when they do you will realize how inefficient an offensive player Gabby is.

That being said, I like the way he is playing now. Several of our goals have come from him backing a defender down, holding him off the receive the ball from midfield, and the distributing the ball well with his back to goal.

Now if he could just hit the ball well with his front to goal, we might have something.

I think he would be last seasons second most potent attacking threat if you go by ratio. He assisted one of Bent's goals as well.

He was still our most potent attacking threat last season, if you look at goals + assists combined.

While I cant argue with the stat (although I havent actually looked into it), this does not really excuse him from criticism/potential sale. Last year was appauling - and Gabby being the most potent striker (with Bent injured for a lot of it) is the very least I would expect. That does not hide the fact that at times, the lad has joined other senior players at times in 'taking the piss' and quite frankly - being a disgrace, if the rumours of turning up late/not supporting managers are true.

While I cant argue with the stat (although I havent actually looked into it), this does not really excuse him from criticism/potential sale. Last year was appauling - and Gabby being the most potent striker (with Bent injured for a lot of it) is the very least I would expect. That does not hide the fact that at times, the lad has joined other senior players at times in 'taking the piss' and quite frankly - being a disgrace, if the rumours of turning up late/not supporting managers are true.

Well 'most potent striker' isn't quite true, he was the most potent attacking force of all the attacking players in the squad. I don't listen to rumours, he did the job of scoring/creating goals better than anyone else in the squad and that's the bottom line. Top assists, second most goals.

Well 'most potent striker' isn't quite true, he was the most potent attacking force of all the attacking players in the squad. I don't listen to rumours, he did the job of scoring/creating goals better than anyone else in the squad and that's the bottom line. Top assists, second most goals.

Bazdavies, Was the performance of any senior player incl Gabby Agbonlahor good enough last year? Could he have done more?

Would it be that hard to find a replacement who could deliver what Gabby does and more?

Its a shame because I would actually love him to prove his potential. Every so often we see that hes capable of top notch performances. Needs to step it up and do it a lot lot more frequent for me - but Weve been saying that for 2 or 3 years now.

Take your point regarding rumours, but I think it was clear over the last 2 years that at times, Gabby was one of many (in fairness) who were half arsed. Unforgiveable on them wages.

Last season everybody was shit and should have done better. But at least Gabby had a brief purple patch of scoring and creating which helped us stay up and put him on top of the pile of shit. A weak link that should be sold?

Not should be sold no. Just by no means a certain keeper. Like I said, vast improvement needed for me.

I think it's quite evident everybody needs to up their game from last season, but Gabby was at least the best of a bad bunch.

What, last season? Apart from a good short patch he was dire, particularly when Bent and Petrov were out near the end and we needed someone to step up.

Â