Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I may be wrong here, but I just get a sense of deja vu with the likes of Lee Hendrie.

There are some players that have endeared them selves to the terraces by virtue of their "badge kissing" and play the "loyalty card" which is great for some fans and not so convincing to others.

I am a fan that looks for effect in a player ( i.e how much they are effecting our performance)

I have always felt a sense of meloncholy towards Gabby and Hendrie( and a few others) in as much as I think they was too comfortable and was at the club in periods of transition when the club had not performed well in the transfer market.

Competition for these types have been questionable and performances have reflected this.

You can only hope that the Landscape has changed and Gabby will have to fight for his place.

How does he do that? Score goals.

I can't ever remember Agbonlahor kissing the Villa badge. It's his 50+ goals for Villa that has endeared him to the fans. We shouldn't just write someone off just because he's in a run of bad form. If that was the case no one would last more than 6 months at a time at any club.

The badge kissing was metaphorically speaking....Not Literally.

I have never been as bought on Gabby as some of our other strikers like Dwight Yorke, Dean Saunders etc.

I think the 50 Goals is very commendable, but I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit ungrateful, but I don't seem to see the player scoring match winning goals in the same vein as Withe & Gray as an example.

I thought the same about Vassell, when he was been held up as the player of the terraces, local boy with the Lion Heart, just don't get it.... so its nothing personal to Gabby.

I simply don't see Gabby (as a player) as some do.Felt the same about Hendrie too.

Hendry was nowhere near as good as Gabby as a Villa player, so I don't know how you can compare the two. Gabby on form is a huge asset for the team, and its not his fault that the two or so years he's continually been played out of position. Combine that with the injuries he's picked up and it's no wonder his form has suffered.

I think he's an excellent striker. Stick him up front with Bent and we'll see the best of him. Put him on the wing and he'll continue to frustrate. Sell him and he'll come back and haunt us.

It has been a long time since we have seen the best of Gabby for a prolonged period. Injury and the role he has sometimes been asked to fill has played some part in this. He has had the odd game or moment in a game on occasion that he has shown us a reminder of the player he has and can be but he has reached the crossroads now.

He could have been an England regular and should be a starter with us up front game in and game out but it is something you have to work to earn and wherever and whenever you get a first team appearance you have to prove to any boss that he has no alternative other than to play you in the starting line up for the following game.

The ball is now firmly in Gabby's court. He has the ability and should be at his playing peak now so he needs to show the motivation and the will to prove those who may doubt him that he can be a regular scorer and a player who stays involved in games for 90 minutes or this may prove another season that passes him by.

Hendry was nowhere near as good as Gabby as a Villa player, so I don't know how you can compare the two. Gabby on form is a huge asset for the team, and its not his fault that the two or so years he's continually been played out of position. Combine that with the injuries he's picked up and it's no wonder his form has suffered.

I think he's an excellent striker. Stick him up front with Bent and we'll see the best of him. Put him on the wing and he'll continue to frustrate. Sell him and he'll come back and haunt us.

The comparison was simply this :

Both local boys

both was on huge wages

both was at the club at a time of modest competition for their place

both (imo) have debatable effect on our results

both played for England on the odd occassion

and finally (IMO) both overrated by the majority of our supporters.

How many games without a goal is it now? 25ish?

How many times in those 25 games did he come off the bench and/or played out of position?

Played up top when Bent was out last year. Remember thinking he could be Englands centre forward for the Euros as all the strikers were dropping down injured. Then what happens?

Plays gash and looks like he's not interested?

I had put that down to McLeish.

Now I have to just think he's not all that.

I'd start Gabby on Sunday.

Get him running down the left as from what I've seen of WBA's last few games Billy Jones at RB is a weak link. He conceded a penalty at Fulham when Kalinekic just run at him and he looked dodgy against Reading who are hopeless when McAnuff ran at him a few times.

He's lacking sharpness but I'd fancy him to cause more havoc than N'zogbia.

To be fair to Gabby he clearly had an issue with Houllier, as did most of the squad, and the less we say about last season as a whole the better!

I still remember him scoring the winner against Manure, winning a pen in the Carling cup final (which should have sent us on the way to winning that game), yes he's not the sharpest or most talented but his pace is such an asset when used properly.

As a defender who played to a decentish level, I would always rather have a slower player who thought he was Ronaldo trying several step overs in front of me because unless they are as good as Ronaldo it's easier to defend against than somebody with proper pace, the ability to knock the ball past somebody and then just blitz them in the a foot race is so difficult to defend against, you either need to get so tight you get to the ball first (and risk getting turned) or give them a few yards which is all a player like gabby needs to get clear.

He looked lightening when he came on against Newcastle but looked pretty useless on Saturday. I firmly believe that this season is 'last chance saloon' for Gabby at the Villa. I'm sure he'll be given some sort of run in the side but he's sure as hell gonna have to impress given the competition up top now.

Â