Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Man, that actually got me going a bit :(

We had some really great times from 2007-2010. Like Gabby said, such a shame we didn't win any trophies or get 4th even just once.

His 48 goals in 165 games between 2006-10 is part of the reason we didn't win anything, Was never good enough.

Hell, Gareth Barry scored 23 goals in 110 games during the 3 of those 4 years he was here.

In the premier league goalscoring charts he was :

2006/07 22nd

2007/08 13th

2008/09 10th

2009/10 10th

Simply nowhere near good enough for a team trying to get top 4

• Like 1

I agree with @Keyblade, that actually got me going a bit!

He never fulfilled his potential and the last few years have been nothing short of a farce. But there were some good times with him, no we never won anything, but those 3 years where we finished 6th he was a mainstay of those teams so yes he gave us some good memories.

I'm sad that he's leaving the way he is but his time has been and gone.

Bye Gabby!

• Like 4

i love him... i've seen him go through the ranks at villa, he started for DOL, ffs... he was our star at premiership level ffs.

he was offered amazing contracts, who would not sign them? he is probably not the smartest kid on the block but i don't blame him for our financing problems. Gabby, you are a Villa legend!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No I get it. I assume you don’t or you wouldn’t just be proving Lapal’s point over and over again. 

I’d try to explain it to you, but I’ve learned by now that trying to explain anything to you will result in you ignoring it completely. 

Lapal’s OP to you explains it pretty well.

Ok for clarity let me help you out one last time - a legend can come from absolutely any era as far as I am concerned it's purely a title bestowed on a player for their prolonged display of excellence in our great shirt - I posted a list of names that I suggest few would argue as club legends ? Lapal then decides to vent that I am suggesting that legends can only come from a certain era if I am understanding correctly - which is utter nonsense - it just happens that the players I mentioned all pretty much won something and are rightly bestowed as legends - now when I say I am lucky enough to have seen these players it means I am of the age to have witnessed many great players and I'm sorry you can please yourself but we ain't had many legends in recent years - from Lapals own list I would happily find room for Barry in my list of legends and possibly Deano ? I am also tempted to throw in Laursen who in my view is a sheet of paper thickness away from being as good as Macca.

so to sum up and let me say again Legends are born out of ability not age factors - I cannot help seeing true club legends play  whilst Lapal I'm afraid can only hold up very good players not legends as a counter argument to this  - that's just how it is 

i will say again though Stevo - if you do think Vassell and Gabby are club legends you are only fooling one person.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Actually makes it hit home, actually. The real end of an era for good and for bad.

Real good video that.

Its not very often that footballers will say the opposition should’ve got sent off so it’s to see the Vidic one in the final still hurts him, the decision we all agree on.

Yes he’s been useless the last few but will still look back on him with fondness. Those O Neil years were great.

Thought we were going to get a swansong from this season with a goal and assist early doors, but it wasn’t too be.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't. 

I see you follow your normal habit of copy and pasting a couple of lines from a post to suit yourself - but hey it's a forum so fill your boots everyone has a right to their point of view.

19 hours ago, Dave J said:

Yep absolutely bang on the money - which is why I have never rated him.

i will also accept to being in the minority.

Dave....I have no qualms with other folk having positive thoughts on him, that is their prerogative.

I cannot get free from my mind he has received from our club c 27million in wages based on 40 k per week over 13 seasons.

I don't think we have had value for money, sorry....local lad or not.

I would be saying the same about Jack if "cap fitted"

Now those figures may not be accurate, but I'll bet its not far away.

Always felt Vassell was a much more frustrating player to watch than Gabby.

Vass when he broke through was a very skilfull player which we saw in that excellent season he alongside Angel (season when he scored that great goal on his England debut).

Then after time he seemed to lose that swagger in his game. He was shocking scoring one-on-ones right up to the end.

Gabby at least for the first 5-6 years here you knew what we were going to get from him, pace, being a nuisance to the opposition back 4 and plenty of important goals.

Shame he hasn't been bothered last few years. The club should've just released him in a free in 2015 but instead gave him that new deal.

Thanks for the early years, very exciting at times.

Shame he didn't have it in him to develop his game once he couldn't get by one pace and athleticism alone.

Would have been better for all involved if he had been moved on years ago as his memory will be tarnished by his later years.

Stay frosty Gabby.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

The bloke bought me a shirt and signed it for my birthday 3 years ago :)

pongo waring hasn't has he?!

We are talking about his contribution to the team and his overall ability as a player, not his humanitarian achievements.:huh:

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

The bloke bought me a shirt and signed it for my birthday 3 years ago :)

pongo waring hasn't has he?!

If only he could I'm sure he would. ;) 

Gabby is and will always remain one of our own. He has had his highs and his lows. Not quite enough highs for me and I suspect for him and far too many lows. His best was when we were at our best. His performance levels slipped as we fell from grace as a team and his decline was sad to see. He had his troubles off the field as well and was well paid for doing very little in recent years. He is not a club legend as are Peter McParland, Brian Little or Paul McGrath  but he still leaves with my best wishes for the future.    

• Like 1

Â