Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The 8 touches thing was as much an insult to our midfield players as Gabby.

The 8 touches thing was insult to the fan base......how so few could see through him and the rest of the country could/ has, is a indictment on the current state of fan analysis.

he is an embarrassment.

• Like 4

On 3 December 2015 at 20:37:37, Zatman said:

team bottom of the league and fans want their top scorer in the league to stay injured

Its as bad as Newcastle or West Ham fans

Are you serious, or is it a joke I haven't got.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

In my humble opinion, he is one of those players that has capitalised on the clubs demise.....In simple terms he has had our trousers down.

for the life of me , I don't know how he has got away with it.

It won't surprise you TRO but I don't think that is true. Under O'Neill he was very good and for a couple of seasons that front three of Carew, Gabby and Ash Young was as good as anything we have had since the days of Saunders Atkinson and Yorke. Since O'Neill left and the better players, Ash, Milner, Downing etc quickly followed and the club totally slumped then so has Gabby's form. Is that totally down to Gabby or is that a case of the quality around him as completely dissipated? I think it is probably a little of both.

His good days over the last few years have been few and far between but on his day he is still very effective. I think for the most part he has always put a shift in and I get the impression he is also impressive in training given every manager since 2006 has almost always picked him.

Whether or not he can have any impact this season I genuinely don't know and I am not even sure Garde will pick him. If he does though I would not be surprised in the slightest if he scored a handful of crucial goals for us between now and the end of the season.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

The 8 touches thing was insult to the fan base......how so few could see through him and the rest of the country could/ has, is a indictment on the current state of fan analysis.

he is an embarrassment.

is that when he was subbed at half time? Apparently he was injured, at what point in that half no idea.

if he'd have played the entire game and been fit, he'd have had at least 12.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It won't surprise you TRO but I don't think that is true. Under O'Neill he was very good and for a couple of seasons that front three of Carew, Gabby and Ash Young was as good as anything we have had since the days of Saunders Atkinson and Yorke. Since O'Neill left and the better players, Ash, Milner, Downing etc quickly followed and the club totally slumped then so has Gabby's form. Is that totally down to Gabby or is that a case of the quality around him as completely dissipated? I think it is probably a little of both.

His good days over the last few years have been few and far between but on his day he is still very effective. I think for the most part he has always put a shift in and I get the impression he is also impressive in training given every manager since 2006 has almost always picked him.

Whether or not he can have any impact this season I genuinely don't know and I am not even sure Garde will pick him. If he does though I would not be surprised in the slightest if he scored a handful of crucial goals for us between now and the end of the season.

Mark, I have never been a Gabby fan, as I was never a Vassell fan either and I see them,as similar.

its not very often I disagree with you,because I agree with much of what you write.

but I disagree with your appraisal of Gabby, sorry.

i was not a fan of him under O'Neill either, I just cannot compromise with his lack of football intelligence....it just cannot be ignored.

I understand and know all the stats but I am simply judging him on the games that I have watched him play and that's just about all of them.

i also disagree that he was part of a trio better than Yorke, Saunders and atkinson

even taking in to consideration that Atkinson was known as sick note....they were not as good.

Gabby would not be able to lace Dwight Yorkes boots, simply no comparison.

I am not going to be rude to GA but we have given him much more than he as given us.

i will finally say, if there was ever an epitome of Aston Villa's demise The persistence of successive managers to rely on him as much as they have has illustrated this poor decision making to perfection.

ps The argument they have all played him so he must be ok is false IMO.......it shows to me the lack of ambition and a contributory epitome of why we are where we are.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I will bow out of this debate if that's ok.....I do not rate the player and think we have made a huge mistake in playing him for as long as we have.

the fact he has had as long as he had with us makes any doubt I could have ,less.

I appreciate, I am in the minority.

What amazes me is that there still appears to be a number of fans who want to try and defend this guy who has done nothing to earn this faith in him. Please please try and tell me what he offers other than an ability to run in a straight line quite quickly, because I'm struggling to come up with something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

What amazes me is that there still appears to be a number of fans who want to try and defend this guy who has done nothing to earn this faith in him. Please please try and tell me what he offers other than an ability to run in a straight line quite quickly, because I'm struggling to come up with something.

He can't even do that very well any more.

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

I will bow out of this debate if that's ok.....I do not rate the player and think we have made a huge mistake in playing him for as long as we have.

the fact he has had as long as he had with us makes any doubt I could have ,less.

I appreciate, I am in the minority.

No please don't stay with it. I'm refusing to give up on this debate. I don't care what anybody thinks in my view and yes I accept its a humble view this guy is a very very average professional footballer  and should be no where the first team of ASTON VILLA FC in my opinion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Opinion will always dictate the fans have different views.....we must  appreciate that.

my concern is a case could be made for every player and yet we are where we are.

without being personal  a constant approval to players that have had so much time to prove themselves and failed is just tantamount IMO to lining up alongside all the clubs poor decisions.

There is a danger, we are becoming as bad as them.

thats just my opinion.

Ps sorry Dave not aimed at you

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â