The football gifs thread (possible 3G warning!)

The_Rev

Modric should never have scored there. Carrick at fault for chasing the ball like an over excited labrador. Number 3 (can't think who it is so I'm going blame Evra) at fault for not getting his body in the way of the ball and moving out the way as it passed him and de Gea at fault for getting done at his near post. Horrible defensive mistake 10 men or no.

Modric should never have scored there. Carrick at fault for chasing the ball like an over excited labrador. Number 3 (can't think who it is so I'm going blame Evra) at fault for not getting his body in the way of the ball and moving out the way as it passed him and de Gea at fault for getting done at his near post. Horrible defensive mistake 10 men or no.

Hehe, congratulations. You successfully avoided giving the attacker any credit :P Sometimes it's just a really well struck shot.

De Gea at fault? Behave

Yes. Didn't follow the angle of the ball. With Modric heading across the box he wasn't going to put it into the far corner through the crowd. should have moved towards his near post.

As for credit to Modric BOF, he had a dig and he scored - thats credit enough. I don't think we can say "What vision - cracking goal" since had Evra and de Gea done their jobs properly he wouldnt have scored.

Poor defending rather than great goal/unstoppable strike.

I think you have a point with regards to De Gea, all be it a particularly harsh one.

There's no way he was going to save the shot from where he was stood, but perhaps he could have positioned himself a little better prior to the shot.

I can tell you that his positioning is more or less textbook.

It's just a fabulous strike that's curled round him. If that ball goes straight in rather than hitting the post and in then De Gea's probably kept it out.

You're doing both De Gea and Modric a huge disservice.

Possibly.

Modric deserves huge credit for an unbelievable shot, and it would have been a 'worldly' save if De Gea had made it, so no criticism. I'd tend to agree with Eames' view that he could have anticipated the shot a little better and got over to his left, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The general rule in positioning for a keeper is if you draw a line from the ball, through the keeper, then that line should pass through the middle of the goal.

De Gea is more or less bang on that line as Modric shoots.

You say he was never going to hit it back across the goal. I think that's entirely possible.

Could De Gea have anticipated it more? Yeah, possibly. But it would have been a guess, and something you could say for 90% of goals that go in.

Late on he did a bit of world class 'anticipation' as Ronaldo looked to be cutting the ball back across the goal only to then slice it (deliberately I assume) towards the near post top corner. Many other keepers would have been well across towards the centre of the goal.

I'm not beating de Gea up per se. I'm just saying that rather than a brilliant stike/piece of unbelievable class from Modric, it was more a series of defensive errors by the Utd defence.

Late on he did a bit of world class 'anticipation' as Ronaldo looked to be cutting the ball back across the goal only to then slice it (deliberately I assume) towards the near post top corner. Many other keepers would have been well across towards the centre of the goal.

I remember Kaka nearly 'did him' with his eyes before launching a shot towards the near post. Made it look like he was going to square it. De Gea did very well.

Â