The football gifs thread (possible 3G warning!)

The_Rev

In my mind Beckham pulls out a Walther PPK from somewhere and shoots Ayew in the chest a couple of times before walking away and not looking back. 

Hopefully that will kick his spell at Madrid off. I'd prefer to see him instead of Milan Baros beside Alonso.

in fairness he played well vs barcelona on saturday and looking to be coming into form

Horrific from Carrick. You'd expect better from a holding player to not charge at the ball like a 10 year old.

Really? I thought Carrick did all he could in the situation. He closed down the space in which Modric was shaping to shoot from. Modric moved the ball into more space and scored an absolute screamer. 

If he had hit the outside of the post and the ball had gone wide instead of the inside of the post and scored then would you have praised him for applying good pressure?    What do you suggest he should have done instead? Stood off and then been criticised for allowing a player of Modric's quality too much time and space on the ball? 

Football games are won and lost on the finest of margins sometimes, especially at this level with evenly matched teams.  Carrick played the percentages as far as I am concerned, In coming out he also cut off the pass to Kaka or Ronaldo and there was little he could have done about the quality of the finish. Modric hit a shot which doesnt end up in the back of the net nine times out of ten. Unluckily for United tonight was the tenth. 

Horrific from Carrick. You'd expect better from a holding player to not charge at the ball like a 10 year old.

Really? I thought Carrick did all he could in the situation. He closed down the space in which Modric was shaping to shoot from.

Modric was shaped to his right and even slightly moving in that direction. Carrick played the player, not the ball. Modric would've possibly still got his shot off given the bad angle Carrick took to him.

I don't see it like that at all.  Modric killed the ball and was weighing up his options when Carrick came out to him. If Carrick had stayed back then Modric would have had the pass to Ronaldo (who is clearly  shouting for it) the pass to Kaka, who appeared to have slipped his marker (Carrick) or the shot.  Carrick forced the shot, and he forced it from a more difficult angle, he was never going to stop Modic moving it into more space but he did make sure it needed a brilliant shot to score.  Yeah, it went in but I think sometimes you just have to give credit to the goalscorer for a piece of brilliance.  I genuinely don't think Carrick did much wrong given that he was caught between a rock and a hard place.  Describing his contribution to the goal as "horrific" is massively harsh. 

Â