The football gifs thread (possible 3G warning!)

The_Rev

Cavani did it to win in the World cup as well.

zidane was lucky though, hit the bar before going in

Lucky? Or perfect?

if i remember it hit bar bounced over line and came back out. lucky for me

I don't see how that's lucky.

He tried to chip it down the middle and score, which is exactly what he did.

If it HADN'T gone over the line, and it had been given as a goal, that would be lucky.

But it did go over the line, so he did what he intended.

As for Zidane, he meant to chip it the down the middle, but I dont think he meant for it to clip the bar, he put a tiny bit to much power and lift on it. SO he was a bit lucky. There was a 2 or 3 second pause before the ref gave it, for that few seconds the France players were like, has he given it or not.

But it went in, so I guess it was all good for him.

Didn't Zidane do that in 2006?

Loads of players have done it, Yorke for us.

The original was by Panenka for Czechoslovakia in 1976.

Yorke did it twice, one of them being his last ever goal for us.

The brilliance of the Panenka one cannot be understated though, and not just because it was the original. That penalty was to win Euro76.

It takes guts to attempt that in any kind of game. More so in a knockout game of an international competition. But to do it in the final when you are the guy who is taking the deciding kick? Balls of steel.

As for Zidane, he meant to chip it the down the middle, but I dont think he meant for it to clip the bar, he put a tiny bit to much power and lift on it. SO he was a bit lucky. There was a 2 or 3 second pause before the ref gave it, for that few seconds the France players were like, has he given it or not.

But it went in, so I guess it was all good for him.

It went in, so it's not lucky.

If Zidane's intended to chip it down the middle and into the goal, and that's what it did, then he isn't lucky.

If a basketball player takes a shot and it rolls around the rim before going in, it's not lucky. It went in, that's what he intended for it to do. Same with golf and if the ball rolls around the hole before sinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Duane De Rosario The insanity of the free kick matched by the sheer **** ignorance of the American commentary team to quote the clearing in the woods:

Not a whole lot to say on this free kick, he just rus up and banged it as hard as he can, nothin' fancy, drills it through the upper 90.

WHAT A COMPLETE AND UTTER CRETIN! **** me right off that they have these clowns with no idea about the game being paid to commentate.

• 3 months later...
Â