The football gifs thread (possible 3G warning!)

The_Rev

AFAIK it's always been a goal. Remember Luis Fernandes (I think it was him) for France against Brazil in the pen shoot out in the quarter final in the WC '86? He hit the post and then in the back of Carlos head and into the net and it was allowed. It was either Fernandes or Bruno Bellone.

That might be the one I'm thinking of. It was allowed, but I think it turned out that under the rules at that time it shouldn't have been allowed (i.e. the ref made an error), so they changed the rule to make it a correct decision.

Might be true. I just remember the penalty shoot out and the penalty and that I was furious as I thought it wasn't allowed. I cheered for Brazil. IIRC the swedish commentators and experts said that it was a correct decision, but as it is almost 30 years ago I might very well be wrong.

Just watched that Kerlon link that was put up and afterwards it linked me a video of Ronaldo's (Brazilian) goals. It's easy to forget how good he was. Had everything to his game. Just a shame injuries and took a toll towards the end.

Injuries took their toll towards the start for Brazilian Ronaldo to be brutally honest.  He got a bad cruciate injury in his second season at Inter when he was 22/23 years old and he was out for nearly three years with it. He came back for the 2002 world cup spectacularly and he did really well at Real Madrid but he was never the same player as he had been at PSV, Barcelona and that first year or so at Inter. 

5cIgz4C.gif

From tonight's Hannover vs Herta Berlin match.  Ronny (yes, he's from Brazil) is the man taking a free kick that Tommy Hitzlsperger would have been proud of. 

He's got previous too, he did this a few years ago:

That's 138mph for those of us who live in civilized countries.

Edited by The_Rev

Injuries took their toll towards the start for Brazilian Ronaldo to be brutally honest. He got a bad cruciate injury in his second season at Inter when he was 22/23 years old and he was out for nearly three years with it. He came back for the 2002 world cup spectacularly and he did really well at Real Madrid but he was never the same player as he had been at PSV, Barcelona and that first year or so at Inter.

Had he not had that bad injury I think we'd still be debating if messi or the other Ronaldo were as good as him.

• Like 1

Ronaldo (Brazillian) was the most lethal striker in my lifetime, he had everything, pace, power and skills. His explosive pace was a joy at times. Agree with injuries, he should have stayed at Barca, but in those days, you really had to go to Italy to prove yourself.

5cIgz4C.gif

From tonight's Hannover vs Herta Berlin match.  Ronny (yes, he's from Brazil) is the man taking a free kick that Tommy Hitzlsperger would have been proud of. 

He's got previous too, he did this a few years ago:

That's 138mph for those of us who live in civilized countries.

his 1st touch as well as he only came on the pitch

Dunno about that. It's impossible to make a judgement of course, but Brazilian Ronaldo had that "he is going to win this game for us on his own" vibe about him that Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't seem to have despite his ridiculous strike rate.   Maybe it's because Brazilian Ronaldo never played in a team quite as good as the current Real Madrid side. 

Dunno about that. It's impossible to make a judgement of course, but Brazilian Ronaldo had that "he is going to win this game for us on his own" vibe about him that Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't seem to have despite his ridiculous strike rate.   Maybe it's because Brazilian Ronaldo never played in a team quite as good as the current Real Madrid side. 

I always remember the time he destroyed Man Utd. It was around the same time Siralex tried to make Beckham head a boot.

Real Madrid 2002-03 was a better team than this current Real team. Figo, Zidane, Casillas, Makelele, Roberto Carlos, Salgado think Morientes was still there as well

• Like 1

Look at Ronaldo's physique in that barca vid and then look at him after a couple of years in Italy. They had him beef up stupidly much (more than likely drugs involved) and then he **** his knees, in my opinion, becuase his frame wasn't meant for that muscle mass and it gave out under the strain. massive waste, he could have played a lot more years than he did at his best. i saw him in the san siro for milan at the end of his career and he hardly left the center circle for 90 mins.

• Like 1

He got the shit kicked out of him though. I believe it was the persistent injuries to players like Ronaldo and Michael Owen which really led to the game moving to the virtual non contract support it has become over the past half decade or so. It can't be a coincidence that all of a sudden we have quite a few strikers who are almost averaging a goal a game of late.

Real Madrid 2002-03 was a better team than this current Real team. Figo, Zidane, Casillas, Makelele, Roberto Carlos, Salgado think Morientes was still there as well

Raul as well, one of the most prolific strikers this generation

Â