SPECULATION: Gus Poyet (Brighton Manager)

Villan4Life

Not if he quits.

mclesih quit and we still paid out

How do you know? Most of these up and coming lower league managers make sure their contracts have get out clauses to allow them to go to Premiership clubs.

it was a 5 year deal he signed i believe so i doubt there will be alow get out clause in there

You sound like Paul Faulkner! Can i ask where those managers were when they started?

Not at Aston villa, they have been tried and tested at other premier league clubs, Which means we don`t take as much of a gamble.

Valhalla, the point I am making, this Premier League necessity has been tried and tested and we have mucked up the appointment twice. Brendan Rodgers/ Paul Lambert were good managers before they entered the Premier League. That is my point!

Really think Randy needs to put his money where his mouth is with this one, it was a terrible decision by him to appoint McLeish & therefore he must bare the cost of not only paying him off but also paying compensation for what could be the biggest managerial appointment in some time.

Valhalla, the point I am making, this Premier League necessity has been tried and tested and we have mucked up the appointment twice. Brendan Rodgers/ Paul Lambert were good managers before they entered the Premier League. That is my point!

Houllier and mcleish didn`t mess it up because they have premier league experience, that was circumstantial. Houllier messed it up because he wasn`t healthy enough, mcleish isnt good enough. They were simply the wrong people.

If you were in charge of aston villa and had to make these decisions then trust me you would want prem experience.

Yes they were good managers before they entered the prem, and they have gone on to prove they can cut it in this league. Poyet hasn`t proven he can do the job in the premiership yet.

The 3 managers i have mentioned have all of the same attributes that make poyet attractive. Plus they have proven themselves.

Houllier and mcleish didn`t mess it up because they have premier league experience, that was circumstantial. Houllier messed it up because he wasn`t healthy enough, mcleish isnt good enough. They were simply the wrong people.

If you were in charge of aston villa and had to make these decisions then trust me you would want prem experience.

Yes they were good managers before they entered the prem, and they have gone on to prove they can cut it in this league. Poyet hasn`t proven he can do the job in the premiership yet.

The 3 managers i have mentioned have all of the same attributes that make poyet attractive. Plus they have proven themselves.

I dont think you have proved you can cut it in the prem after one season. I'm not saying I wouldn't take them, anything but him at the mo.

But one thing about being a villa fan is that we have seen them all come and go over the years, and there has been many one hit wonders.

Rodgers and Lambert haven't proven themselves for me yet, that comes if you stay in the league in back to back seasons and beyhond. But I'd still take a gamble on one of them, as I can't see who else there is with a longer prem record that we could attract

The thing with premier league experience is youre either at a club such as Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham etc and are therefore out of our reach, or you are unemployed. The latter, is usually for a very good reason, see Megson, Bruce etc, or in a very rare case like Martin o'Neill was out of the game for a while. Out of the current 19 other premier league clubs, how many mangers are getable? Out of the top ten assuming Chelsea & WBA are managerless, I would say 0. Out of the next 5 teams, 3 on paper would be realistic targets, Lambert, Martinez & Rodgers. Out of the bottom 4, Hughes, Coyle, Keane, would all be realistic assuming Wolves are managerless. When looking at it like that do people not think that we'd be better off looking abroad? Dont get me wrong Im a big fan of Lambert, Rodgers & the positivity of Martinez and even to a degree Hughes but I dont think any of the men can get us back knocking on the door of the Europa League not to mind Champions League.

What happens if Poyet turns out to be a Zola MK 2 and take us down we would be back at square one again but i suppose he could turn out to be a decent manager can we afford to take the risk with the predicament were in

Arsenal - Wenger. Speaks for itself really.

Us - Houiller. Wasnt doing a great job before he was let go over health concerns.

Chelsea

- Gullit. Won FA Cup and was sacked with Chelsea 2nd in the league.

- Vialli. League Cup, Cup Winners Cup, Euro Supercup & Charity Shield, eventually sacked after 5 games and falling out with loads of players.

- Rainieri. 2nd in Prem after blowing £120mil. But did get Champions League in a season where his only puchase was De Lucas on a free. Bought a lot of players for the Mourinho era as well.

Jose -

Scolari - World Cup winner who after a great start had a disastrous run which saw him sacked.

Hiddink - FA Cup.

Ancellotti - Premiership & FA Cup win. 2nd next season and sacked.

AVB -

Fulham

Tigana - took them to the premiership and even Uefa via Intertoto but overpaid for a lot of players and was eventually taken to court by club. Not looked on fondly by Fulham fans.

Jol - Lead them to a top ten finish in first season.

Liverpool

Houiller - UEFA FA & League Cups.

Rafa - Champions League & FA cup.

City

Sven - Citys highest points finish in 55 years & had a great start before fading fast, spent loads too.

Mancini - FA Cup and could soon add a preimership winners medal to that.

Toon

Gullit - FA Cup final, fell out with Shearer and was only going to be one winner.

Pompey

Zajec - DoF fell out with Harry and took managers job, poor.

Perrin - Kept them in PL but sacked after 4 wins from 20 games in the next season.

Spurs

Ardiles - Bought Klinsmann was poor.

Gross - never got it going and sacked 3 games into his second season.

Santini - left after 13 games citing personal problems won 5 drew 4 lost 4.

Jol - Came ever so close to the promised land of champions league.

Ramos - won league cup and beat arsenal 5-1. But overall couldnt repeat his succes with Sevilla.

WBA

Di Matteo - good start but poor run of form after christmas saw him sacked, WBA finished 11th that year.

WHU

Zola - finished 17th with west ham despite entire squad being put up for sale by gold & sullivan.

Wigan

Martinez - Kept Wigan in the top flight.

Werent Brighton and Southampton top 2 for a long time earlier in the season? If so, what happened to Poyets Brighton? Not that im insinuating he's shite he's done well and I imagine he'll be a good manager in the future but (presuming my memory of them doing very well is correct) id worry about that mid season capitulation.

Â