England Euro 2012 23 man squad

EastEndVillan

Exactly.

And he's not a terrible footballer really, i she. It's funny to say he is, because he's had a crap season. BUt theres a pretty good footballer in there.

6 weeks ago I'd have said take Crouch. Now I'd go for Carroll.

Wellbeck reminds me of Darius Vassell the way he plays. I think hes good but not good enough for the international stage.

He is like, probably the least similar striker to Vassell in the history of football! He is much more creative, can pass and shoot from outside the box, has more physical presence and smartness to him. Vassell was fast and scored some goals alone with the GK or tap-ins, but that was it.

GK: Joe Hart

GK: John Ruddy / Ben foster if he decdes he can be bothered to play

GK: Any young keeper over Rob Green

DF: Kyle Walker

DF: Micah Richards

DF: Ashley Cole

DF: Phil Jagielka (if Fit)

DF: Joleon Lescott

DF: Rio Ferdinand

DF: Gary Cahill

DF: Phil Jones

MD: Scott Parker

MD: Frank Lampard

MD: Gareth Barry

MD: Ashley Young

MD: James Milner

MD: Aaron Lennon

MD: Theo Walcott

FW: Wayne Rooney

FW: Peter Crouch

FW: Daniel Sturridge

FW: Andy Carroll

FW: Danny Wellbeck

If Carroll played for Norwich nobody would take him.

If Holt played for Liverpool everybody would take him.

There's also the fact of Carroll being 23 and Holt 31. Holt deserves consideration based on his goalscoring form and it would be great for a journeyman to go all the way from League 2 to International tournament in just a few years, but he's not any kind of long-term solution. Would say similar for Zamora, who may well be Hodgson's preferred choice.

Carroll has had a bad time since moving to Liverpool but it wasn't so long ago he was starring at Newcastle and he may have long term part to play for England, so it might be beneficial to take him to his first major tournament.

Here's mine:

GK: Joe Hart

GK: John Ruddy

GK: Rob Green

DF: Kyle Walker

DF: Micah Richards

DF: Ashley Cole

DF: Leighton Baines

DF: Joleon Lescott

DF: John Terry

DF: Gary Cahill

DF: Phil Jones

MD: Scott Parker

MD: Steven Gerrard

MD: Gareth Barry

MD: Ashley Young

MD: James Milner

MD: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin

MD: Theo Walcott

MD: Frank Lampard

FW: Wayne Rooney

FW: Darren Bent

FW: Daniel Sturridge

FW: Peter Crouch

crouch over carroll every time for me. Experienced and been in better form much longer. Wouldn't trust Carroll, selecting a striker on the basis of 3 games for England is ridiculous imo.

As for Grant Holt, seems like a player who just fits his current side atm, a James Beattie, Marcus Stewart one hit wonder type, not international class for me.

Andy Carroll is too good to play for Norwich, thus why he plays for Liverpool.

Grant Holt isnt good enough to play for Liverpool, thus why he plays for Norwich.

Andy Carroll is an interesting one. I can definitely see why people would take him. He has been one of the form strikers in the past month and the fact he hadn't played much up to that point means he's hitting form at the right time for England (but wrong time for Liverpool) and he has plenty left in the tank. The only trouble for Carroll is that it's either him or Crouch, and Crouch has never let England down. I'd take either of them in a heartbeat because you need that option in the squad. But I wouldn't take both. And they both have compelling arguments in their favour.

GK: Hart, Ruddy, Green.

RB: Richards, Walker.

LB: Cole, Baines.

CB: Terry, Cahill

CB Lescott, Jones

Wingers: Walcott, Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

CM: Barry, Parker.

CM: Milner, Lampard, Carrick.

FW: Rooney, Carroll.

FW: Sturridge, Wellbeck.

With that squad, i'd probably pick a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation.

Opening game, probably go for:

--------------Hart-----------

Richards-Cahill-Terry-Cole

-------------Parker----------

-------Milner-----Carrick----

Sturridge-------------Young

-------------Carroll----------

Not great to look at, but there's enough in that team to provide for Carroll and be slick on the counter attack.

Gerrard, Ferdinand miss out because i don't think their bodies are up to international tournament football, and while Terry is a word removed, he's still performing to a high standard.

Andy Carroll is too good to play for Norwich, thus why he plays for Liverpool.

Grant Holt isnt good enough to play for Liverpool, thus why he plays for Norwich.

So if you play for a small club then you're not good enough to play for England?

Mine would probably be

GKs: Hart, Ruddy, Green

DFs: Cole, Baines, Terry, Lescott, Cahill, Jagielka, Richards, Walker

MFs: Young, Milner, Barry, Parker, Carrick, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott

FWs: Rooney, Sturridge, Carroll, Bent

Assumptions there are that Bent is fit, Wilshere isn't, and people like FOster and Scholes haven't come out of retirement!

My first XI would probably be

------------------Hart

Richards, Lescott, Terry, Cole

-------------Parker, Carrick

-----------------Milner

Sturridge--------------------Young

-----------------Rooney

Obviously replace Rooney with Bent for the games he's out. And in reality, Milner will never get played there. It'll be Lampard instead.

I think that squad actually has a very good defence. We all hate him, but Terry is still a quality CB, and given time to play with either Lescott or Cahill, I think either could be a good partnership.

Cole is still one of the best fullbacks in the world, and Richards has had a great season.

Plus Hart is quality.

Add Parker in front of them and defensively we'll actually be fairly solid I would have thought.

Our downfall will be a lack of creativity going forward at that level.

As good as Norwich have been, they've kept 2 (TWO) clean sheets all season. That's the worst in the league. Worse than Blackburn, Bolton (both 3) and Wolves (4). I would take Foster (10 clean sheets) and I'd be confident that Hodgson will too. The only English keeper above him in clean sheets this season is Hart with 17. Now I know defences play a big part in clean sheets. I just think 2 versus 10 for two sides only 3pts apart in the league is too much to explain away.

GK: Hart

CB: Lescott

CB: Terry

CB: Ferdinand

RM:Lennon/ Walcott

LM: Dyer

CM: K.Henry

CM: Cattermole

ST: Holt

AM: Rooney (Osman to play when Rooney is suspended)

ST: Carroll

Inspired by Wigan's 4-3-3. Terry organises the back three a la Caldwell. Sheer pace out wide. Centre mids to intimidate those horrible foreigners and win the ball back and give it to a deep-lying Rooney (if he's playing or out wide). Whip in the crosses and let the big men nod it in the back post. No Stevie/ Lampard nonsense.

As good as Norwich have been, they've kept 2 (TWO) clean sheets all season. That's the worst in the league. Worse than Blackburn, Bolton (both 3) and Wolves (4). I would take Foster (10 clean sheets) and I'd be confident that Hodgson will too. The only English keeper above him in clean sheets this season is Hart with 17. Now I know defences play a big part in clean sheets. I just think 2 versus 10 for two sides only 3pts apart in the league is too much to explain away.

I'd take Foster too. In a heartbeat.

But he's "retired" and says he has no intention of coming back.

I guess his club manager might be able to convince him but I wouldn't count on it.

But apart from him and Hart, we don't have an awful lot.

Â