King Carlos Day - Sunday 13th May

symmouk

We decided on this as its either ANOTHER boring, miserable anti McLeish moan and booo boring that fails to take off.

I know, lets actually NOT be miserable at a game - I know for one or 2 of you who have made comments that is very hard, but its about time we got some positivity around here.

He is getting a send off as he is an extremely likeable football player, he gave his all when playing for us. EASILY been our best defender this season. CARES about the fans unlike the majority of the team. How he is being let go this summer is beyond most fans.

Its about time our fans had some fun, a laugh and a good time - if the team wont do that on the pitch, then we will do it ourselves.

If you are looking for masks on the day, either tweet me @micsymmonds or PM me here and ill get back to you.

Enough of the McLeish crap, its getting boring now. Fans can sing all day long but we have done enough of that at Bolton and games since. Lets let the players, particularly the young ones and players like Cuellar know that we have one of the best away following in the league.

Some of you really need to get a grip. Killjoys is an understatement.

King Carlos day?

Been largely awful ever since he signed.

Oh come on mate! easily our best defender this season, and never given a run in his natural position of CB in the whole 4 years.

Has given quite a few MOTM performances this season, including against Tottenham. A genuine, nice guy. Sometimes with players, its what they do off the pitch that can make them a fan favourite. Hitz is a prime example.

King Carlos day?

Been largely awful ever since he signed.

Oh come on mate! easily our best defender this season, and never given a run in his natural position of CB in the whole 4 years.

Has given quite a few MOTM performances this season, including against Tottenham. A genuine, nice guy. Sometimes with players, its what they do off the pitch that can make them a fan favourite. Hitz is a prime example.

Not for me. Think hes poor. terrible with the ball, makes silly mistakes (Bolton), too slow.

And even if he had been our best defender this season - Big Wow.

Hes done nothing to deserve anything but respect and I echo the nice guy off the field comments. But lets not make out hes some sort of legend.

Christ, some of our fans really do take the word 'miserable' to new levels...

Carlos is easily our best defender, despite never having a sustained run in the team in his natural position. Every time he has had any sort of run in the team - he has performed well - only to be dropped again when the fat drunk (Dunne) or the hoofer (Collins) come back into the fold. For some bizarre reason, they've always been guaranteed a starting place no matter how Carlos plays - that is the view of many, many fans.

Despite this, King Carlos has never once moaned and has just got on with his job. He has always talked to the fans, publicly supported his teammates even when not in the team, and has acted with complete professionalism at all times. It's a sad day when seemingly so many people on here are oblivious to why the majority love him so much.

Terrace legends are usually never the best players - they are the players who connect most with the fans. People say "he doesn't deserve the send off Mellberg got" - why not? Mellberg never exactly set the world alight - in fact, he could be pretty average at times and was prone to mistakes. But that doesn't matter, because he loved the Villa, hated the Blues - and the respect was mirrored between him and the fans. And it's exactly the same with Carlos.

I think a few people will be surprised when they see the level of support for CC on Sunday. No doubt it will anger the killjoys on here but, frankly, who cares? The floods and floods of messages on Facebook and Twitter show his true value within the Villa family.

Look I like Carlos, but I've never got onto this bandwagon that he's "the best defender at the club" as he's never played ahead of Collins and Dunne when fit, and they have been shite for 2 years.

Look I might be a boring, miserable killjoy but we need for 90mins make the board know how we feel. We've not had a chance yet because of the treat of relegation...now is our chance.

Carlos is no Mellberg infact I find the comparison disgusting and even Mellberg is no Villa legend to me. Carlos is a slightly bigger loss to me as Heskey...no big loss as all.

But I like Carlos as a person, a lot of modern day footballers could learn a lot from how he carries himself and interacts with supporters.

Looking forward to this, what a lovely bloke and I actually think that him and Dunne would be our best defensive partnership.

I won't be shaving my beard until getting back from Norwich in his honour.

Carlos is easily our best defender, despite never having a sustained run in the team in his natural position. Every time he has had any sort of run in the team - he has performed well - only to be dropped again when the fat drunk (Dunne) or the hoofer (Collins) come back into the fold. For some bizarre reason, they've always been guaranteed a starting place no matter how Carlos plays - that is the view of many, many fans.

Despite this, King Carlos has never once moaned and has just got on with his job. He has always talked to the fans, publicly supported his teammates even when not in the team, and has acted with complete professionalism at all times. It's a sad day when seemingly so many people on here are oblivious to why the majority love him so much.

Terrace legends are usually never the best players - they are the players who connect most with the fans. People say "he doesn't deserve the send off Mellberg got" - why not? Mellberg never exactly set the world alight - in fact, he could be pretty average at times and was prone to mistakes. But that doesn't matter, because he loved the Villa, hated the Blues - and the respect was mirrored between him and the fans. And it's exactly the same with Carlos.

I think a few people will be surprised when they see the level of support for CC on Sunday. No doubt it will anger the killjoys on here but, frankly, who cares? The floods and floods of messages on Facebook and Twitter show his true value within the Villa family.

Just ridiculous to say that hes the best defender when the best part of 5 managers think otherwise.

He doesnt deserve the send off Mellberg got - and neither did Mellberg. Both decent blokes, but both massively overated imo.

Also, Big wow that he doesnt moan and has time for the fans! Big Wow. The mans on 40k a week. The absolute bare minimum behavior for a pro footballer imo. Its just made to look exceptional because 99% of other footballers are utter arseholes.

Just ridiculous to say that hes the best defender when the best part of 5 managers think otherwise.

He doesnt deserve the send off Mellberg got - and neither did Mellberg. Both decent blokes, but both massively overated imo.

Also, Big wow that he doesnt moan and has time for the fans! Big Wow. The mans on 40k a week. The absolute bare minimum behavior for a pro footballer imo. Its just made to look exceptional because 99% of other footballers are utter arseholes.

How is it ridiculous to say that when the majority of our fans think that he is? That's why so many people are frankly perplexed at Villa's decision to get rid of another good player, and leave us with two carthorses. Who is better than him? I'd love to know. I watch Villa every week and it is my firm opinion that Carlos is head and shoulders our best defender, it's not even close. His tackling is first class and his distribution has improved massively, if only the same could be said for Collins etc. What is ridiculous is for you to call him "overrated" :lol: Eh? Isn't that why so many Villa fans feel aggrieved with how he's always been treated? As it’s a common opinion that he's always been hugely underrated, not the other way around.

But that's by the by. I think you're clearly missing the point. You say "big wow" that he has such a love for the Club and respect for the fans, but then answer your own question by saying "99 per cent of other footballers are utter arseholes". And that is the point. So many footballers ARE greedy, self-centred, arrogant mercenaries these days that when you do get a player like Carlos, it's massively refreshing to see.

You must be a pretty miserable person if players like Cuellar, Milner, Mellberg, Ian Taylor, and Dion Dublin etc don't lighten up your day. None of these are what you would call quality players, but they put a shift in for this club and appreciated the fans, hence why they are appreciated back. If you choose not to think that's a big deal then so be it, your choice. Just let the rest of us get on with giving him a great send-off without trying to make us feel guilty for doing so because of how "good" or "crap" you perceive him to be.

To me we always looked a bit more solid with him on the teamsheet, well on paper anyway.

But i just can't ignore the fact that we paid Rangers nearly 8m for him and now he's going on a free.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's playing in a Sunderland shirt next season.

Do people not get this at all? I mean really.

Hes a top bloke, something that the fans can relate to. Always gave 100%, had time for the fans when he was bumped into in town/on a night out. Responds to people on twitter/facebook, gives a little back and never once complained about playing out of position for 4 years. Lets not forget he was part of a very good defence under MON, one season I think we were second best defensively to just Chelsea?

He doesn't have the quality of John Terry no, but if he played for us we wouldn't give him a massive send off because the bloke is a word removed.

Give me a team full of people like Cuellar all day long over a bunch of quality players who I hate. If football had more people like him it would be a lot better off.

The only players from our team at the moment that would get this kind of send off is Petrov and Gabby.

2008/09 - 37 appearances

2009/10 - 48 appearances

2010/11 - 16 appearances

2011/12 - 18 appearances

It looks like he COULD get in the side in his first two seasons, during our years of utter failure when we twice limped into 6th place.

For the past two seasons, he has struggled to find favour with our last two superb managers. They have improved the team's performances so much, I guess he just didn't have the quality to make the grade. :?

Great shout!!

Miles better than Mellberg at the point of them both leaving. Olof left two years too late sadly.

You must be a pretty miserable person if players like Cuellar, Milner, Mellberg, Ian Taylor, and Dion Dublin etc don't lighten up your day. None of these are what you would call quality players, but they put a shift in for this club and appreciated the fans, hence why they are appreciated back. If you choose not to think that's a big deal then so be it, your choice. Just let the rest of us get on with giving him a great send-off without trying to make us feel guilty for doing so because of how "good" or "crap" you perceive him to be.

I think its pretty sad that supporters days are lightened up by people who do, what myself, no doubt you and the vast majority of decent human beings do daily anyway.

Difference is, I do it for 40k nearly every 2 years. Not every week.

In the sheltered and protected world of top level football, it's probably harder to retain the decency that those V&L mentioned. I think he's right, they're lovely people and that's why so many like and respect them.

In the sheltered and protected world of top level football, it's probably harder to retain the decency that those V&L mentioned. I think he's right, they're lovely people and that's why so many like and respect them.

I totally disagree. I think its the complete opposite. It takes very little for players to be worshipped by fans imo. I mean, look at Gabby for instance. His performances over the last 2 years have been nothing short of a disgrace in the most part, and its only recently that a number of fans are overlooking the fact hes from a village 3 miles away, and have realised he is actually taking the utter piss.

Carlos Cuellar is from what I can gather, a very nice bloke and that shouldnt be ignored. He should be thanked for his work but not hailed. His performance at work has lacked consistency, success and has been littered with mistakes. Mistakes that if the bloke on the street made similar equivalants of at work - his/her position would be scrutinized.

For me its like when mega rich people are hailed for there work for charity. Yes it shouldnt go unnoticed but if had millions and a lot of spare time, Id do a lot of charity work as well.

John Bishop doing the bike/row/run challenge. Great achievement but if I had the backing of the BBC and was in an appropriate position, Id do it, no probs. Make a nice change.

Gabby giving accorns 50k is a great thing, but no more great than an average person dropping a fiver into a charity box - the only difference is, Gabby feels the need to shout about it (baring in mind any charity would honour any annonymous payments).

People shouldnt be rewarded becauses their not arseholes!

I think you've missed my point, or I didn't make it very well. I'm not talkign about how easy it is to be "worshiiped" but about how when lots of people fawn over you all the time, do everything for you, it must be hard to retain "normal" decent values - to be unspoilt and unaffected by it all.

Â