All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Athiest I may be, but I do hope there's some sort of afterlife-type thing. The concept of an eternal nothingness terrifies the crap out of me.

But you live in Basingstoke. You must already have a vague idea of the concept

:wave:

I'm only posting in this because Mike told me not to, and I want to see him have a word with my priest (which I'm desperately hoping isn't a euphemism)

Pointless religion thread #72984729992109 on VT. In the entire history of the known universe, nothing has ever been accomplished and nobody has ever changed their mind on anything as a result of online discussion regarding religion. This thread will go one of three ways:

snip

So just like every other thread then? Especially match threads.

The concept of an eternal nothingness terrifies the crap out of me.

Yep, me too.

Every single atom that makes you will be re-used billions of times in various differnet places after you die. So from a certain POV you live forever in 1 form or another.

This is true for everything in the universe, life has nothing to do with it. The universe started out with X ammount of elements. It may be the case they are used at certain points in humans or planets.

If people could understand how big the universe is the God question would never even be mentioned IMO becasue it just sounds a bit far fetched. I can understand why people fall for it if they think the earth is all that but it isn't, in the big scheme of things we are not even a spec of dust in the Sahara. Once this is understood I think it a lot easier for people to understand. I am not trying to kick it off in the thread but offering something else to think about. Even our galaxy, the milky way is nothing in the big scheme of things.

Instead of thinking who built the roller coaster, enjoy the ride instead :D

:lol:

At this very moment in time, at this point in my life - I don't want to get any older or die.

Everything that you've ever learnt or known or said, gone forever..

Imagine being able to talk to someone who lived through eras in time, that knowledge is invaluable and it's horrible that everyone who has died has taken with them thoughts, ideals, opinions and feelings.

It's **** annoying that as the most advanced race on the planet (for alls I know :lol:) that we only get - on average - 78 years on the planet, yet tortoises and some fish can live for 150+ years.

Longest Living animals

Give me some stem cells, clone me, whatever, just given me as much time as I want. When I'm ready, I'll jump off a bridge or blow my head off :lol:

At this very moment in time, at this point in my life - I don't want to get any older or die.

Imagine being able to talk to someone who lived through eras in time, that knowledge is invaluable and it's horrible that everyone who has died has taken with them thoughts, ideals, opinions and feelings.

It's **** annoying that as the most advanced race on the planet (for alls I know :lol:) that we only get - on average - 78 years on the planet, yet tortoises and some fish can live for 150+ years.

Longest Living animals

Give me some stem cells, clone me, whatever, just given me as much time as I want. When I'm ready, I'll jump off a bridge or blow my head off :lol:

There's a geneticist at Cambridge who believes the first person to live to 1000 years may have already been born. Aubrey de Grey.

This is true for everything in the universe, life has nothing to do with it. The universe started out with X ammount of elements. It may be the case they are used at certain points in humans or planets.

That's not true, but this isn't the thread to talk about science, much less science concerning the creation of the universe.

Longest Living animals

There's a geneticist at Cambridge who believes the first person to live to 1000 years may have already been born. Aubrey de Grey.

Well, Abraham did live for 175 years.......

Aubrey_de_Grey.jpg

The best ever thread on VT mostly concerned religion. Strong City - what a thread that was, the sort of thing the internet was invented for.

Pointless religion thread #72984729992109 on VT. In the entire history of the known universe, nothing has ever been accomplished and nobody has ever changed their mind on anything as a result of online discussion regarding religion. This thread will go one of three ways:

snip

So just like every other thread then? Especially match threads.

Just what I was going to say. This thread is no more, or less, futile than most.

It's a subject that comes up now and then in other threads, and somebody always complains (Stevo985, Father O'Fiddler has been informed - 20 Hail Marys and pants down for you, my boy). Hence this thread, which can be taken to supersede all other religion threads, and act as a catch-all for theologically-related debates.

And if we get a load of complaints in here, I'm going into the golf and wrestling threads with guns blazing... :lol:

Â