All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

For those who enjoy talking about that sort of thing.

Keep it in here to avoid annoying people in General Chat, Things That Piss You Off, etc., etc.

I'll start:

I'll bet God really hates me for not believing in him. Discuss.

Cant we just bump an old thread? I say so because this one will have exactly the same people making exactly the same posts in exactly the same order as the other 812 religion threads on VT.

If God exists, then why do such bad things happen to the innocent? ie. children dying etc.

Getting them to heaven more quickly, innit.

If I bump an old thread I get bollocked for thread necrophilia.

If I start a new one I get told to resurrect an old one.

Told you God didn't like me.

I'm reading a religious thread on Youtube right now and it is driving me bonkers. There's this Catholic kook - a very articulate kook, but a kook nonetheless - who's asserting that distributing condoms to people in Africa is somehow raping them via capitalism.....or some shit like that. Someone help me out because I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out why he thinks this way.

The concept of an eternal nothingness terrifies the crap out of me.

Yep, me too.

Don't worry, wish hard enough and you'll end up believing in one ;)

Yep, me too.

Well spotted.

What's the worry? We won't be around to experience this nothingness, any more than we experienced it before we were born.

But it's a good reason to enjoy being alive NOW, instead of worrying about not being alive in future.

• Like 1

Yep, me too.

Well spotted.

What's the worry? We won't be around to experience this nothingness, any more than we experienced it before we were born.

But it's a good reason to enjoy being alive NOW, instead of worrying about not being alive in future.

:suspect: Not sure if we're on the same page.

I was referring to confirmation bias. Humans tend to select information and twist them around in ways that confirm their existing biases and beliefs. So, if you really really really wished for an afterlife, you would theoretically be subject to the above mentioned psychological mechanism and hence subconsciously be more inclined to look for evidence that supports the existence of one, and then conjure up convoluted ways to construct whatever scarce "evidence" you now have into crackpot theories to support your which. Doesn't make the existence of an afterlife any truer of course, but hey whatever makes you happy right.

I think this is probably one of the biggest reasons why religion has always been and continues to be widespread.

Yep, me too.

Well spotted.

:suspect: Not sure if we're on the same page.

I was referring to confirmation bias. Humans tend to select information and twist them around in ways that confirm their existing biases and beliefs. So, if you really really really wished for an afterlife, you would theoretically be subject to the above mentioned psychological mechanism and hence subconsciously be more inclined to look for evidence that supports the existence of one, and then conjure up convoluted ways to construct whatever scarce "evidence" you now have into crackpot theories to support your which. Doesn't make the existence of an afterlife any truer of course, but hey whatever makes you happy right.

I think this is probably one of the biggest reasons why religion has always been and continues to be widespread.

No, I got it.

I was referring more to the original post about worrying about the nothingness.

You are quite correct that the way many people deal with this is translating wishing it weren't so into believing that it isn't so, with zero justification.

Pointless religion thread #72984729992109 on VT. In the entire history of the known universe, nothing has ever been accomplished and nobody has ever changed their mind on anything as a result of online discussion regarding religion. This thread will go one of three ways:

1. No religious folk will post and the atheists on VT will get bored of their self congratulation after five pages, leaving the thread to eventually dissolve into nothingness.

2. Religious folk will post, at which point the thread will explode to fifty plus pages, most of which will be mockery of said religious folk punctuated by the odd reasonable, intelligent post that will be inevitably ignored.

3. Religious folk will post, at which point a fair and reasonable debate will ensue, however 99% of posters will be so preoccupied on their own opinion that they won't bother to read anybody elses, the result being that the same 3 arguments are repeated ad infinitum for 300 pages.

• Like 1

Â